Author Topic: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion  (Read 17317 times)

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2017, 12:04:24 PM »
I understand the Leafs hardly had any injuries last season, and that's bound to readjust this season, so maybe that's what they're banking on doing with Leivo.

https://theathletic.com/87892/2017/08/24/by-the-numbers-no-rest-for-weary-leafs-on-2017-18-schedule/

So next season, it appears the Leafs will be getting the short straw:
In 2017-18, the Leafs will play an average amount of tired games with 26, but will only face a tired opponent 16 times, tied for the lowest amount in the league with Calgary four less than the next closest team. The 10 game difference between playing tired and playing a tired team is the lowest number in the league and is 24 games worse than the two leaders, Colorado and Detroit, both of whom have a rested game difference of 14.

Dom goes into more detail about how that impacts play.

Micah Blake McCurdy elaborates on how rest impacts shot-rates:
www.twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/900734681326518272

As Frank mentioned, we're not likely to see the same injury luck as last season, where the only major injuries were Rielly, Marner getting sick, and Zaitsev's non-concussion; all our other injuries appeared to be whatever was convenient for the roster at the time. Let's see how the depth holds up.

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2017, 02:05:36 PM »
Maybe it's the many years of Leaf fandom but I'm more or less expecting a bit of a fall back year this year and even anticipating missing the playoffs.

Maybe I just prefer to set my expectations low do that they can only be exceded.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2017, 07:53:15 AM »
No one's freaking out about the Leafs re-signing Roman Po-

www.twitter.com/bobbycappucino/status/900420097382240256

I'm disappointed that Kyle hasn't liked this one yet.

He liked this one!

www.twitter.com/fearthefin/status/900843230752911360
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 07:57:25 AM by herman »

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2017, 04:04:38 PM »
There's still time, but at the moment, Nikita Soshnikov has not been cleared to play as he is still experiencing concussion symptoms, according to Dhiren Mahiban of the Canadian Press.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2017, 09:02:48 AM »
That is a bit of a concern as this seems like a real long time to be suffering with heavy conditions.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2017, 01:32:16 AM »
Leafs pegged to finish second (by a reader/respondents poll/survey):

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 01:34:20 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2017, 02:02:00 AM »
Hmm...

For the record, Draisatl signed at 8 yrs. $8.5M AAV
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 02:07:08 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2017, 10:37:11 AM »

We're starting to see that snowball effect where players who sense a winner on the rise and want to come here. Those three years drafting high and last year's season have really changed our complexion around the league. It's awesome. And I'm with Bownsie, I haven't been this excited for an upcoming Leaf season since September 1993 after that first run. They started 10-0 and Wendel finished with 46 goals in 63 games. The potential for winning after a long period of desolation (80's/post-lockout) makes it that much sweeter!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:46:13 AM by disco »
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2017, 01:07:34 PM »
Hmm...

For the record, Draisatl signed at 8 yrs. $8.5M AAV

I don't like Dellow's stance where the Leafs should be bridging all 3 guys, you're playing with fire there especially if they get to UFA at an early age.  Other teams lock up their young stars to 8 year deals, I think Leafs should do the same with our holy trinity.

Offline Guru Tugginmypuddah

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2017, 04:28:29 PM »
I don't like Dellow's stance where the Leafs should be bridging all 3 guys, you're playing with fire there especially if they get to UFA at an early age.  Other teams lock up their young stars to 8 year deals, I think Leafs should do the same with our holy trinity.

The Leafs just went a very long time proving how difficult it is to find good players.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2017, 06:30:37 PM »

I dunno. They're still going to get paid big money over their careers. The difference is really that maybe the Leafs get a little more cap flexibility early on (with a little less later - but, with the way things are going, probably not a significant amount), and they get these guys under contract for 10 or 11 more seasons before they become pending UFAs, instead of 8. Both of those seem pretty appealing in terms of team building.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline KadriFan

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2017, 07:03:09 PM »

I dunno. They're still going to get paid big money over their careers. The difference is really that maybe the Leafs get a little more cap flexibility early on (with a little less later - but, with the way things are going, probably not a significant amount), and they get these guys under contract for 10 or 11 more seasons before they become pending UFAs, instead of 8. Both of those seem pretty appealing in terms of team building.

I don't know. If Brown has already peaked is it a good idea to sign anyone long term lol.  Nylander is already 21 isn't he?

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2017, 09:37:05 AM »

It's an interesting concept to kick around but I think ultimately it's out of the team's hands to some extent. If any of the big 3 want 8 year deals after their entry-levels is the small amount of cap flexibility that bridge deals would yield worth going to the mattresses over?

RFA's have very little leverage as a group but individually with the elite ones I think we're seeing that giving them the deals they want is more or less how it'll work.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2017, 09:39:10 AM »

A potential problem with that is the idea that post-the next CBA there'll still be the option of 8 year deals.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online Bill_Berg

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2017, 09:53:04 AM »

A potential problem with that is the idea that post-the next CBA there'll still be the option of 8 year deals.

You think the limit might be reduced? I would expect that to be a major concession for the players to concede.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2017, 09:53:04 AM »