Author Topic: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion  (Read 59818 times)

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion
« Reply #930 on: February 08, 2018, 09:09:37 AM »
Am I counting wrong or has Martin been a scratch for 7 straight games now and the Leafs are 6-1 in that time?

Yeah, stick a fork in Martin, he's done. Babs can't healthy scratch any of the current top-12 forwards for him. There's no way.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: February 08, 2018, 09:13:29 AM »
Am I counting wrong or has Martin been a scratch for 7 straight games now and the Leafs are 6-1 in that time?

Yeah, stick a fork in Martin, he's done. Babs can't healthy scratch any of the current top-12 forwards for him. There's no way.

Well, there is a way, it's Babcock.

Offline Strangelove

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: February 08, 2018, 09:29:12 AM »
I haven't looked at the stats but Zaitsev seems to be a giveaway machine. I'm struggling to think of anything he actually does well. That contract is looking pretty scary.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: February 08, 2018, 09:39:42 AM »
I haven't looked at the stats but Zaitsev seems to be a giveaway machine. I'm struggling to think of anything he actually does well. That contract is looking pretty scary.

Last season he scored 36 points in 82 games. This season he's scoring at just a 21-point pace over an 82 game schedule. He started the season off well with 5 points in 4 games. Since then he has just 5 points in 35 games (an 11-point pace). He also has 0 points in his last 13 games played.

I never liked his contract from the beginning. One of my arguments was that we were paying him like a 40-point defenceman, but I knew that once he lost PP time to Rielly this season his offence was going to dry up. That's basically exactly what's happened so far.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: February 08, 2018, 09:48:39 AM »
I do think that Zaitsev is still an interesting trade chip. He looks like a top-4 right handed defenceman who's signed long-term to a not-awful cap hit. He looks like a guy who can kill penalties and play on the powerplay. And the fact that Babcock plays him probably helps his reputation around the league too.

If guys like Tyson Barrie or Ryan McDonagh (or dare I say even one of the big-3) ever actually become available I think Zaitsev would make for a good primary piece of a package to acquire one of them because of the stability his contract brings.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: February 08, 2018, 11:24:40 AM »

Last season he scored 36 points in 82 games. This season he's scoring at just a 21-point pace over an 82 game schedule. He started the season off well with 5 points in 4 games. Since then he has just 5 points in 35 games (an 11-point pace). He also has 0 points in his last 13 games played.

I never liked his contract from the beginning. One of my arguments was that we were paying him like a 40-point defenceman, but I knew that once he lost PP time to Rielly this season his offence was going to dry up. That's basically exactly what's happened so far.

Well, lots of guys would and should lose PP time to a guy like Rielly.  The question is, can Zaitsev produce consistently on the PP or not?  Was he producing OK but just got displaced by Mo, or did he dry up before and that's why he got displaced?  Anyway,  I sure wish one of the two Ds on our units was RH, that would give each unit a whole different look.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: February 08, 2018, 11:28:25 AM »
Well, lots of guys would and should lose PP time to a guy like Rielly.  The question is, can Zaitsev produce consistently on the PP or not?  Was he producing OK but just got displaced by Mo, or did he dry up before and that's why he got displaced?  Anyway,  I sure wish one of the two Ds on our units was RH, that would give each unit a whole different look.

Right, I'm not saying that Zaitsev should be on the powerplay. It 100% should be Rielly and Gardiner manning those units, and it should have been those guys last season too. I'm saying we shouldn't have given a defenceman a 7-year contract after 1 season where he played loads of PP minutes when it was pretty clear that he wouldn't be getting consistent PP minutes going forward.

Basically, if the Leafs gave Rielly and Gardiner those powerplay minutes last season there's absolutely no way Zaitsev gets a $4.5mil AAV. But now we're stuck with that even though he won't be playing there.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 11:31:43 AM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: February 08, 2018, 11:32:03 AM »

Right, I'm not saying that Zaitsev should be on the powerplay. It 100% should be Rielly and Gardiner manning those units, and it should have been those guys last season too. I'm saying we shouldn't have given a defenceman a 7-year contract after 1 season where he played loads of PP minutes when it was pretty clear that he wouldn't be getting consistent PP minutes going forward.

Basically, if the Leafs gave Rielly and Gardiner those powerplay minutes last season there's absolutely no way Zaitsev gets a $4.5mil AAV. But now we're stuck with that even those he won't be playing there.

OK, gotcha now.

I haven't looked at his advance stats, but I would just hope that he doesn't become the Disrespected D-Man Dujour amongst our Leafer comrades.  He is coming off a busted foot and so forth.

Also, re the contract, if he becomes a fixture on the 2nd pairing I can live with the money (but never that term, except for superstars).

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: February 08, 2018, 09:43:55 PM »
Bruins or Bolts in the first round. If they managed to get past that opponent they'd be capable of going all the way. A helluva road though: Bruins, Bolts, Metro winner, West champion. Talk about earning your Stanley Cup. With MarnThewDers and continual retooling they should be knocking on that door for the next decade.
"I'm here for (5) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Online Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: February 09, 2018, 09:18:40 AM »
Bruins or Bolts in the first round. If they managed to get past that opponent they'd be capable of going all the way. A helluva road though: Bruins, Bolts, Metro winner, West champion. Talk about earning your Stanley Cup. With MarnThewDers and continual retooling they should be knocking on that door for the next decade.

At this point the Bruins are on pace to win the presidents trophy... everyone ready to face the Bolts in the 1st round (ugh)

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: February 09, 2018, 11:21:05 AM »

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: February 09, 2018, 11:39:36 AM »

Online Guru Tugginmypuddah

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: February 09, 2018, 11:42:35 AM »
So Polak sits?

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: February 09, 2018, 11:51:29 AM »
So Polak sits?

That's what it looks like based on practice, Babs could always change his mind of course.

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #944 on: February 10, 2018, 11:02:43 AM »

White shirts and white shorts on white ice. That should be an interesting viewing.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #944 on: February 10, 2018, 11:02:43 AM »