Author Topic: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion  (Read 58044 times)

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion
« Reply #615 on: January 04, 2018, 01:16:04 PM »
A buddy of mine, not a Leafs fan, mentioned to me that the Leafs are 1-13 when Graham Skilliter is a ref.  Not believing him I googled it, and sure enough it's a thing. https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/disturbing-trend-emerges-between-the-maple-leafs-and-one-particular-nhl-referee

Coinkidink?

Offline louisstamos

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Treestar
« Reply #616 on: January 04, 2018, 01:44:40 PM »
A buddy of mine, not a Leafs fan, mentioned to me that the Leafs are 1-13 when Graham Skilliter is a ref.  Not believing him I googled it, and sure enough it's a thing. https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/disturbing-trend-emerges-between-the-maple-leafs-and-one-particular-nhl-referee

Coinkidink?

Probably - the Leafs were very bad 2 years ago, and just barely made the playoffs last year.  Still, that's pretty lobsided.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: January 04, 2018, 01:46:36 PM »

Coinkidink?

Probably - the Leafs were very bad 2 years ago, and just barely made the playoffs last year.  Still, that's pretty lobsided.

True enough, I'd throw out the 0-5 from 2 years ago since the Leafs were the worst team in the league, but the last 2 seasons combined they're still only 1-8 with him as ref and the Leafs have generally been pretty good over that span.

Since this has been made into a quasi-story, I'm interested to see how the next game goes with this guy as ref.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 04, 2018, 02:08:18 PM »
True enough, I'd throw out the 0-5 from 2 years ago since the Leafs were the worst team in the league, but the last 2 seasons combined they're still only 1-8 with him as ref and the Leafs have generally been pretty good over that span.

The Leafs were not particularly good in 15/16 when they went 0-3 with him as a ref. :P They went 0-5 with him in 14/15 (also, not a good team that year).

In the span they've been a reasonably good team, they've gone 1-5 (assuming the other night against Tampa was the first time he's officiated one of their games this season). Still not great, but, not enough to draw much of a conclusion from without knowing when he was the official last season - as they were still a pretty middling team early in 16/17.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: January 04, 2018, 02:13:57 PM »

The Leafs were not particularly good in 15/16 when they went 0-3 with him as a ref. :P They went 0-5 with him in 14/15 (also, not a good team that year).

In the span they've been a reasonably good team, they've gone 1-5 (assuming the other night against Tampa was the first time he's officiated one of their games this season). Still not great, but, not enough to draw much of a conclusion from without knowing when he was the official last season - as they were still a pretty middling team early in 16/17.

Oh I read it wrong, I saw 3 separate seasons and figured the 0-3 was from last year, but it's from 2 seasons ago since it's 15-16.  So yeah since last season's team + this season they're 1-5 with him.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 05, 2018, 11:47:23 AM »

Time to put all our hopes and dreams on Dermott and widely overreact to his first NHL game good or bad!

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 05, 2018, 11:51:01 AM »
Dermott is coming off back-to-back 3 point games, has 8 points in his last 4 games, and 13 points in his last 10 games. He had just 4 points in 16 games prior to this offensive outburst.

And he was just named to the AHL All-Star game (along with Kapanen).

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: January 05, 2018, 11:51:09 AM »

Time to put all our hopes and dreams on Dermott and widely overreact to his first NHL game good or bad!

I'm grading him on the Matthews scale.  4 goal debut or he's a bust.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 05, 2018, 11:53:38 AM »
Question is.  When does he get in, and when he does, is he playing the right side?  If he's playing the left, it means Borgman is coming out- which I wouldn't be terribly upset about as he hasn't played quite as well lately. 

Who knows though- maybe they will try Borgman on the right side? 

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 05, 2018, 11:57:51 AM »
Question is.  When does he get in, and when he does, is he playing the right side?  If he's playing the left, it means Borgman is coming out- which I wouldn't be terribly upset about as he hasn't played quite as well lately. 

Looking through some Marlies line-ups, Dermott's played the right side at times this season. Borgman played the right side in Sweden and during the pre-season. So they both have experience with it.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: January 05, 2018, 11:59:58 AM »

Looking through some Marlies line-ups, Dermott's played the right side at times this season. Borgman played the right side in Sweden and during the pre-season. So they both have experience with it.

Hmmm.  Makes me want to put them together and allow them to both try switching sides and see who manages it better.

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Carrick (probably gonna be Polak though)
Borgman - Dermott

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 05, 2018, 12:01:52 PM »

Hmmm.  Makes me want to put them together and allow them to both try switching sides and see who manages it better.

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Carrick (definitely gonna be Polak though, it's Babcock)
Borgman - Dermott

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: January 05, 2018, 12:10:33 PM »
Rielly - Hainsey
Borgman - Dermott

Yeah I mean it's definitely going to be Carrick who's coming out of the line-up, so I'll take whatever option doesn't result in Polak playing in the top-4.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 05, 2018, 12:12:31 PM »
Rielly - Hainsey
Borgman - Dermott

Yeah I mean it's definitely going to be Carrick who's coming out of the line-up, so I'll take whatever option doesn't result in Polak playing in the top-4.

If that is what you're aiming for, gotta be this for me:

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Dermott
Borgman - Polak

I'd rather throw Dermott to the wolves of the other team than the one on our own team.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 05, 2018, 12:51:51 PM »

I have to assume he's getting in, otherwise why bring up a young guy to sit as a 7th defenseman when he could be playing regular minutes on the Marlies?

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #629 on: January 05, 2018, 12:51:51 PM »