Author Topic: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion  (Read 60505 times)

Online Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion
« Reply #345 on: November 13, 2017, 12:44:12 PM »
Me too, especially given how well Kaberle played when they converted him to forward.

Obviously the "let's convert this guy to another position" stuff is silly and we always have fun with it, but I do legitimately think Polak would probably make for a better 4th line forward than defenceman (which isn't exactly saying much).

Everyone knows, if you're a good defenseman, you'll be an even better forward. Forward is easier to play, right?

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 13, 2017, 12:47:03 PM »
Obviously the "let's convert this guy to another position" stuff is silly and we always have fun with it, but I do legitimately think Polak would probably make for a better 4th line forward than defenceman (which isn't exactly saying much).

I'm not so sure. Being a forward requires more skating/playing with the puck - and he's no good at that.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 13, 2017, 01:05:04 PM »
I'm not so sure. Being a forward requires more skating/playing with the puck - and he's no good at that.

Pre-injury, he wasn't the worst skater. He could go in a straight line pretty good, at least for somebody of his size. I'd see him as a poor (poor, poor, poor) man's Zach Hyman. I'd imagine he could forecheck well and cause some loose puck opportunities for his better linemates to pick up on.

I mean I sure wouldn't want him on my teams 4th line, but if you were looking for somebody with size for a 4th line I'm sure some teams have worse players out there.
Frank was right

#ButMartyIsANHLer

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 13, 2017, 01:06:46 PM »

Babcock also said Matthews skated before practice today, will skate again tomorrow, and the plan is to have him practice with the team on Wednesday.
Frank was right

#ButMartyIsANHLer

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 13, 2017, 01:13:57 PM »

Pre-injury, he wasn't the worst skater. He could go in a straight line pretty good, at least for somebody of his size. I'd see him as a poor (poor, poor, poor) man's Zach Hyman. I'd imagine he could forecheck well and cause some loose puck opportunities for his better linemates to pick up on.

I mean I sure wouldn't want him on my teams 4th line, but if you were looking for somebody with size for a 4th line I'm sure some teams have worse players out there.

I would be a little frightened as a defender on a dump-in knowing that Polak was coming in to retrieve it. But other than his ability to separate your head from your body, his skill level isn't very intimidating.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos Drew Doughty John Tavares

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 13, 2017, 01:55:13 PM »
I'm going to miss Leo.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 14, 2017, 08:53:19 AM »
November 14th ladies and gentlemen! It's officially SOSHNIKOV day!

... although even if the Leafs don't call him up my money is on him staying anyway.
Frank was right

#ButMartyIsANHLer

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 14, 2017, 09:09:24 AM »

For what it's worth, his agent has said on record that they are not pursuing any KHL deals and that Soshnikov wants to be in the NHL with the Leafs.

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 14, 2017, 09:49:09 AM »

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 14, 2017, 09:52:08 AM »

This is what I was curious about because nobody really expanded on it before. I thought it would have been weird if all the Leafs had to do was call him up and then send him back down the next day to void that clause.

Sosh is 3 games played away from being waiver-eligible too.
Frank was right

#ButMartyIsANHLer

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 14, 2017, 09:55:31 AM »
https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2017/11/13/maple-leafs-less-fun-post-burke-in-a-good-way-cox.html
Geez... reminds me of a line from my daughters favorite movie, "let it go, let it gooo!". Finishing second last with no 1st or 2nd round picks in the current draft and no 1st round pick in the following draft is all on him. I don't believe the media wanted him to fail. Quit the whining.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Can8899

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 14, 2017, 10:56:00 AM »

The wording is weird here.  He can "request" a loan but do the Leafs have to comply?  I would assume so if they were forced to call him up.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 14, 2017, 11:17:31 AM »
It's weird not having a Leafs game on my schedule for a few days.  I feel...so.............empty.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 14, 2017, 12:13:37 PM »
It's weird not having a Leafs game on my schedule for a few days.  I feel...so.............empty.
Considering Matthews health it's perfect timing for a break. I do wish it was in stone Tues, Thurs, Saturday.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 14, 2017, 01:58:46 PM »
If Matthews returns (he will), it'll put both Josh and Sosh in the pressbox, i.e. two players on the roster that are better options than Matt Martin, rather than just one.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #359 on: November 14, 2017, 01:58:46 PM »