Author Topic: Hyman Signed  (Read 4212 times)

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hyman Signed
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2017, 10:29:09 AM »

huh

Offline Bill_Berg

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2017, 10:34:46 AM »
Does every contract have a NTC or NMC in it now? Sheesh.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2017, 11:09:02 AM »

huh

They'd have to fire Babcock before they trade Hyman.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2017, 11:19:04 AM »
Pretty standard practice for buying up UFA years.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2017, 11:25:19 AM »

Going back to the 14/15 season and looking ahead to all future signed contracts, he's the only non-veteran (under 30) player to have some sort of NTC that I can find with a cap hit below $3mil. This is not standard practice for guys like him.

edit: I meant forward. Karl Alzner had one (a 5-team no trade list) in the 4th year of his 4-year contract that just expired.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:36:55 AM by CarltonTheBear »

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2017, 12:09:25 PM »
https://theathletic.com/73678/2017/07/07/mirtle-yes-zach-hyman-is-now-a-core-piece-for-the-maple-leafs/

The m-NTC is a sign of his value to the team, whether that is erroneous or not. It's a weird profile of player to consider core, but if the alternative is considering Komarov or Martin core, then eh. I'd say Hyman is part of the hard outer shell of the core. Not outright expendable, but if another team really wanted what he was offering for a strong offer, we'd let him be on his merry way.

I like Mirtle's comparison of Hyman to Winnik. A younger, faster, probably more offensively skilled, possession-driving glue guy. If he had been revealed earlier, I'm pretty certain we wouldn't have bothered with pursuing Martin.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2017, 12:10:13 PM »

Going back to the 14/15 season and looking ahead to all future signed contracts, he's the only non-veteran (under 30) player to have some sort of NTC that I can find with a cap hit below $3mil. This is not standard practice for guys like him.

edit: I meant forward. Karl Alzner had one (a 5-team no trade list) in the 4th year of his 4-year contract that just expired.

You're right. I was thinking of more well compensated players, JvR being the immediate example.

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2017, 12:40:19 PM »
https://theathletic.com/73678/2017/07/07/mirtle-yes-zach-hyman-is-now-a-core-piece-for-the-maple-leafs/

The m-NTC is a sign of his value to the team, whether that is erroneous or not. It's a weird profile of player to consider core, but if the alternative is considering Komarov or Martin core, then eh. I'd say Hyman is part of the hard outer shell of the core. Not outright expendable, but if another team really wanted what he was offering for a strong offer, we'd let him be on his merry way.

I like Mirtle's comparison of Hyman to Winnik. A younger, faster, probably more offensively skilled, possession-driving glue guy. If he had been revealed earlier, I'm pretty certain we wouldn't have bothered with pursuing Martin.

I'm not so sure about that. Small sample of course, but Hyman and Winnik's career ppg are essentially identical. I also don't think Hyman's emergence -- if you can call it that -- would have had any bearing on signing Martin. Martin was never moving off the 4th line and doesn't see a second of PP or SH time.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2017, 12:54:37 PM »
I like Mirtle's comparison of Hyman to Winnik. A younger, faster, probably more offensively skilled, possession-driving glue guy.

I'm not so sure about that. Small sample of course, but Hyman and Winnik's career ppg are essentially identical.

Last season a 31-year old Daniel Winnik put up 25 points in 72 games (0.34 PPG) while playing with Jay Beagle and Tom Wilson. Hyman scored at that exact same pace with Matthews and Nylander/Brown.

Winnik's a UFA and could probably be signed for $1-1.5mil.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2017, 12:58:26 PM »
I'm not so sure about that. Small sample of course, but Hyman and Winnik's career ppg are essentially identical. I also don't think Hyman's emergence -- if you can call it that -- would have had any bearing on signing Martin. Martin was never moving off the 4th line and doesn't see a second of PP or SH time.

Babcock tried Martin out on the PK early on (he's big, and can skate, why not?) and quickly nixed that idea.

As Mirtle (and Jeff Veillette) indicated in their respective articles, we're at the ground floor of Hyman's NHL career. Komarov's contract looked terrible for his numbers initially, but he outperformed his valuation pretty much right away starting at an older age. I'm no scout or whatever, but I see room for growth with the tools at hand and enough runway to actually achieve it.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2017, 04:51:35 PM »
best trade ever? or just a good one, Greg Beer Can McKegg for Zach the Ferrat Hyman. And I mean that with all affection. Zack is a digger and they are good ones despite the stone hands.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2017, 09:29:24 AM »
https://theathletic.com/113938/2017/10/02/mirtle-why-zach-hyman-will-likely-score-more-for-the-leafs-this-season/

Hyman cut his left hand fairly badly on Gallagher's visor during their tussle. Fighting is stupid.

The rest of the article makes the argument that I already made in this thread.

JVR agreed that he and Hyman should have more conversations about [how to position himself to shoot in tight on the goal more successfully].

I maintain that a JvR-Hyman would be nearly the ultimate winger, and if they can both push each other it'd be madness to have two of them*.

* Hyman will never be as good as JvR on offense, and JvR will never be as good as Hyman on the backcheck/forecheck/midcheck/checkers.

---

Is Zach Hyman herman's new Seth Griffith? News a 6.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 09:34:42 AM by herman »

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2017, 09:51:16 AM »
Is Zach Hyman herman's new Seth Griffith? News a 6.

Today on the McLaughlin Group: Is Matt Martin Mike Babcock's Seth Griffith?
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2017, 01:00:06 PM »
https://theathletic.com/113938/2017/10/02/mirtle-why-zach-hyman-will-likely-score-more-for-the-leafs-this-season/

Hyman cut his left hand fairly badly on Gallagher's visor during their tussle. Fighting is stupid.

The rest of the article makes the argument that I already made in this thread.

It's also not exactly Mirtle's best work. The article's got a nice mix of narrative, interviews, and data -- but I think the most likely explanation for the "something weird was going on" is toward the end of the article:

Either there hasn't been a player quite like Hyman in recent league history one able to generate a pile of quality chances from in tight but not convert on them or he is due for some level of an improvement. How big that bump is remains to be seen.

Has there been a guy without an NHL scorer's hands playing with two superstars for an entire season? Guys like that tend, I'd think, to find their way to the bottom of the lineup -- Hyman hasn't.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2017, 04:53:26 PM »
Invalid Tweet ID
Babcock declared today that Hyman was the best forechecker in the NHL.
Per the tweet above, it's not showing up in the Passing Project data (shot-assists, i.e. passes that lead to shots). This is pretty similar to the tweets a couple of weeks ago about Matthews'/Hyman's Loose Puck Recovery stats (that aren't publicly available).

Having watched most of the games last season, I know why it's not showing up, and I don't have a problem with it.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2017, 04:53:26 PM »