Author Topic: Hyman Signed  (Read 3999 times)

Offline KadriFan

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Hyman Signed
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2017, 02:39:59 PM »
It's a shame Lou and Babcock aren't as good at their jobs as you guys.  Geez....

Nothing wrong in questioning how a guy got as much money and term as he did.  Hyman isn't exactly a proven player, he's had 1 full season, played with the best player the organization has had in 20 years and only managed 10 goals.   I hazard to guess that someone like Kapanen could have produced way more had he been planted beside Matthews all year long.   Guys like Hyman actually do grow on trees.

It's not always about goals and assists.  I'm not so sure players like Hyman do grow on trees.  guys who play hard every shift and win those little battles in places many tend to shy away from are quite rare.  Many are saying his production is due to playing with Matthews.  I wonder what Matthews would say.  Personally I think him, Matthews and nylander make the perfect line.  Each brings something different and it all fits together perfectly. 

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2017, 02:51:23 PM »
guys who play hard every shift and win those little battles in places many tend to shy away from are quite rare.

Nah. You can recognize the value of a good grinder while still acknowledging that they're available every year as UFA's. Look at the swapping out of Boyle, who's like that, for Moore, who's also like that.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2017, 02:56:25 PM »
https://theleafsnation.com/2017/07/06/why-you-shouldnt-be-too-worried-about-zach-hymans-scoring-touch/

Jeff, are you reading this thread?

Thanks for doing the data scrape for me.

Offline KadriFan

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2017, 03:00:48 PM »
guys who play hard every shift and win those little battles in places many tend to shy away from are quite rare.

Nah. You can recognize the value of a good grinder while still acknowledging that they're available every year as UFA's. Look at the swapping out of Boyle, who's like that, for Moore, who's also like that.

And every line needs one. that guy who does what it takes to get the stars the puck.  Love Hyman...good signing. 

Offline TimKerr

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2017, 03:09:43 PM »

And every line needs one. that guy who does what it takes to get the stars the puck.  Love Hyman...good signing.

So you'd rather have Hyman on that line with Matthews and Nylander than Marleau?

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2017, 03:15:38 PM »
And every line needs one. that guy who does what it takes to get the stars the puck. 

Nah. Most teams in the league get by just fine without an offensively limited grinder on their top line. Stars, as a general rule, tend to be pretty good at getting the puck themselves.

Heck, look no further than the Bozak line last year.
-Mark Twain

Offline KadriFan

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2017, 03:25:43 PM »

So you'd rather have Hyman on that line with Matthews and Nylander than Marleau?

If it's not broke why fix it.  That line did pretty well last season. Will be interesting to see what Babcock wants. I think JVR or Komerov gets traded and Marleau takes that spot. Like everyone else though I'm guessing

Offline KadriFan

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2017, 03:27:34 PM »
And every line needs one. that guy who does what it takes to get the stars the puck. 

Nah. Most teams in the league get by just fine without an offensively limited grinder on their top line. Stars, as a general rule, tend to be pretty good at getting the puck themselves.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what Babcock decides. 

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2017, 03:31:24 PM »

If it's not broke why fix it.  That line did pretty well last season. Will be interesting to see what Babcock wants. I think JVR or Komerov gets traded and Marleau takes that spot. Like everyone else though I'm guessing

I think 10 goals on a top line is broke.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline KadriFan

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2017, 03:38:34 PM »

I think 10 goals on a top line is broke.

Goal scoring won't be a problem either way

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2017, 04:12:45 PM »

Nah. I don't really think I need to wait for Babcock's input on whether or not Saad-Toews-Hossa was a successful line.
-Mark Twain

Offline KadriFan

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2017, 04:29:15 PM »

Nah. I don't really think I need to wait for Babcock's input on whether or not Saad-Toews-Hossa was a successful line.

Well I doubt Babcock cares one way or the other wether they played well together.  Like I said, we will have to wait to see who he puts on his top line. 

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2017, 04:56:18 PM »
Well I doubt Babcock cares one way or the other wether they played well together. 

Suggesting that Babcock doesn't care about how really successful teams are put together feels like a harsher indictment of him and his decision making than the mere suggestion that he's capable of making bad decisions.
-Mark Twain

Offline Bill_Berg

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2017, 08:31:23 PM »
I have my doubts that Hyman will be on the top line next year. I bet he got that contract because Babcock likes him and he's a good utility type player that kills penalties and can be fit in up and down the line up. Sure there are others like him, but I doubt the ones at prime age sign for much less than Hyman did. I'm fine with the signing overall.

Offline freer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2017, 11:50:03 PM »
I have my doubts that Hyman will be on the top line next year. I bet he got that contract because Babcock likes him and he's a good utility type player that kills penalties and can be fit in up and down the line up. Sure there are others like him, but I doubt the ones at prime age sign for much less than Hyman did. I'm fine with the signing overall.

Finally someone agrees...

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2017, 11:50:03 PM »