Author Topic: Ranking Prospects - 2017-18  (Read 13398 times)

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking Prospects - 2017-18
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2017, 11:05:26 AM »
;D

Hes since addressed his asthma with medication, and hes addressed his height by being a good hockey player in the 21st century.

I have no idea why, but I'm really enamoured with Johnsson. Of all the prospects, he's the highest on my list of ones that I really want to see make it. I know the odds are against him given his age, but he's also the same age Bozak was when he made his NHL debut and he's done well.

I've got all the time in the world for that level of cheekiness.

Keefe on Johnsson back in May | MLHS:
Andreas Johnsson is a guy who, from start of the season to finish, really did a number of great things for us. He was very reliable for us. I dont necessarily look at it as improvement because I think it was always there. He just needed to adjust and really get comfortable, but he is just a terrific young player that just does so many things really well. Very low maintenance. You tell him something once and he goes out and he does it. He executes at a high level. Very competitive. He has a lot of the ingredients that a lot of players need and that young players need. We are very happy with his development and how things moved for him. I think he had that. He is a guy with more professional experience than others coming into the season and he showed that.

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
Ranking Prospects - 2017-18
« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2017, 05:03:16 PM »
Marleau - Matthews - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen
Martin - Moore - Hyman

Add whatever Bozak and JVR  can bring back in trade return, I suspect you could get a kings ransom if you're willing to accept non-roster prospects/picks, there is also a good chance they can get you a solid top four dman or you can parlay their return into the dman help you want.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 05:36:19 PM by WhatIfGodWasALeaf »

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2017, 05:20:12 PM »
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Martin - Moore - Hyman

Add whatever Bozak and JVR  can bring back in trade return, I suspect you could get a kings ransom if you're willing to accept non-roster prospects/picks, there is also a good chance they can get you a solid top four dman or you can parlay their return into the damn help you want.

The damn help you want eh?
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2017, 05:36:36 PM »
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Martin - Moore - Hyman

Add whatever Bozak and JVR  can bring back in trade return, I suspect you could get a kings ransom if you're willing to accept non-roster prospects/picks, there is also a good chance they can get you a solid top four dman or you can parlay their return into the damn help you want.

The damn help you want eh?

Damn autocorrect!

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2017, 08:38:33 AM »
PPP: 10. Travis Dermott

Top ten time!

TLN: 17. Justin Holl

Pulled from the depths by Dubas. Might be a good temporary sub on the bottom pair.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 09:36:10 AM by herman »

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2017, 10:18:01 AM »
Something that I've been mulling, and it sort of makes sense to bring it up here after two defensive prospects are on tap for today.

The Leafs, sort of knowing they'd have an easier to time with forward depth (and then striking gold with Matthews) have basically ceded backend production deliberately. Other than Liljegren, and maybe Dermott, their defensive drafting and acquisitions have all been about wingspan and mobility.

Structurally, the Leafs (and Marlies) literally do not care about shooting from the blueline, except to generate rebounds and chaos. I've brought it up in game threads for the past year or so, and I'm thinking it is more systematic than just the NHL roster's particular strengths. The defensemen, once set up in the offensive zone, are merely bumpers to keep the puck pressure deep, rotating with the high forwards on auto-pinch runs to tamp down breakout plays.

Shooting percentages fall off a cliff above the circles and it takes a rare, special player to be able to actually put the puck into the net from that far out on a consistent basis. We actually have some of those players in Matthews, Nylander, and Zaitsev (also Neilsen and Liljegren), but they've been strategically pulled off that play. Even one-timers in general have been eschewed for high slot Plinko.

What does this mean for the defense? Player template-wise, the team really only needs to value mobility in transitions (and puck recovery), stickhandling, and gap control instincts. Physically, the team has leaned heavily on taaaaallllll players with long arms and sticks to break up plays and reach pucks first. See Marincin, Neilsen, Middleton, Mattinen, Rasanen, Gordeev, the departed Desrocher.

Scoring from the backend is an afterthought, and since players are paid by counting stats still to a large degree, I think the team is leveraging this for cost management purposes too. We don't need a 8-9M 1D, when we have a committee of 4-6M top 4D. Even if we luck into a point-producing defenseman (Liljegren), we're only going to have one (maybe two) getting prime PP time.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2017, 11:17:20 PM »

Anyone else think there's sort of a weird level of pressure on Dermott? Not in an immediate sense or pressure to be an all-star or anything but he does represent this management team's first real test of their draft acumen beyond picking in the top 5.

Also when you toss in the decision to trade down for him which yielded some interesting prospects but guys who seem like they'll be weird fits for the actual team and the guys they maybe passed on for him it strikes me like Dermott's actual ability to contribute, even as a bottom pairing guy, might be our first real glimpse in just how the Too Many Cooks era worked out from a scouting/drafting standpoint.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 22, 2017, 08:28:38 AM »
PPP: 9. Josh Leivo

TLN: 16. JD Greenway
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 09:42:58 AM by herman »

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2017, 08:30:46 AM »

Anyone else think there's sort of a weird level of pressure on Dermott? Not in an immediate sense or pressure to be an all-star or anything but he does represent this management team's first real test of their draft acumen beyond picking in the top 5.

Also when you toss in the decision to trade down for him which yielded some interesting prospects but guys who seem like they'll be weird fits for the actual team and the guys they maybe passed on for him it strikes me like Dermott's actual ability to contribute, even as a bottom pairing guy, might be our first real glimpse in just how the Too Many Cooks era worked out from a scouting/drafting standpoint.

It feels like 2nd round picks are always the true test of a scouting staff/managements abilities at the draft. We've had 5 of them in the past 3 years (Dermott, Bracco, Korshkov, Grundstrom, Rasanen). At least two of them better become more than run of the mill NHLers.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 22, 2017, 09:16:04 AM »
It feels like 2nd round picks are always the true test of a scouting staff/managements abilities at the draft. We've had 5 of them in the past 3 years (Dermott, Bracco, Korshkov, Grundstrom, Rasanen). At least two of them better become more than run of the mill NHLers.

Yeah, that's true. But as baffling as the Korshkov pick was(and the reach it probably was) if it flops the Leafs are still going to be pretty strong up front.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2017, 03:13:08 PM »
I have no idea why, but I'm really enamoured with Johnsson. Of all the prospects, he's the highest on my list of ones that I really want to see make it. I know the odds are against him given his age, but he's also the same age Bozak was when he made his NHL debut and he's done well.

Seems like you aren't the only one enamoured with Johnsson.  Jason Bourne, formerly the Marlies video coach, lists his three favourite Marlies knocking on the Maple Leafs door:

https://theathletic.com/85356/2017/08/22/bourne-meet-the-three-toronto-marlies-knocking-on-the-maple-leafs-door/

The list:
Dermott
Johnsson
Grundstrom

Note:  Kapanen was not on the list because Bourne says he's pretty much already walked through the door and should be on the team to start the season.  Bourne also takes a shot at the media for (earlier in the season) saying Kapanen wasn't the Leafs top prospect.

Anyways, for me, his comments on Dermott are the most interesting because our defense needs improvement.  I've been pretty high on Dermott for a while now and Bourne makes me even more confident he will be an NHL defenseman based on his comments.  Now its a question of when.

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 22, 2017, 03:28:49 PM »
I like his note about Dermott's strength (he's a tank) and elusiveness. Also of note is Borgman's similar physique. Sure they aren't as tall, but the lower centre of gravity is advantageous for maintaining balance and positioning leverage. Coupled with more than adequate speed and edge work, they should be able to push rushes off into less dangerous areas of the ice.

This is the best:
Fun fact: He was known as Andreas Johnson hard J for about a year because he didn't want to cause trouble by correcting people within the Leafs organization. His last name is actually pronounced with a soft J like Yohnsson. He even wore a jersey with the misspelling of his last name on numerous occasions before the team came across a pre-season form he filled out with the correct spelling.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 03:32:29 PM by herman »

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2017, 08:12:27 AM »
PPP: 8. Connor Carrick

The article touches on what I believe to be the reason for Carrick's stifled numbers: he was the safe-guy on Gardiner's line. Similar to Zaitsev's transition to the NHL, it looks like they were both told to play it safe in the offensive zone, as their partners were Gardiner and Reilly. It sort of makes sense with the forward make up as well, having our best playmakers in Nylander and Marner on the right wing opens up LD lanes at the weaker blocker side.

TLN: 15. Trevor Moore
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 09:31:53 AM by herman »

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2017, 08:07:36 AM »
PPP. 7. Timothy Liljegren

This is the one I've been waiting for!

TLN: 14. Miro Aaltonen
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 09:32:20 AM by herman »

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2017, 09:24:22 AM »
So Liljegren goes ahead of Carrick and Dermott but behind Brown and Kapanen. I can live with that.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2017, 09:24:22 AM »