Author Topic: Ranking Prospects - 2017-18  (Read 13852 times)

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking Prospects - 2017-18
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2017, 11:57:49 PM »
Also to add Tyler Dellow had a mailbag today and mentioned people keep calling players prospects for far longer than they should.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2017, 09:00:27 AM »
We also have confirmation from Lou that Jack Walker wasn't given a qualifying offer, so one year after he was drafted as an overager, he is a free agent. He attended Minnesota's development camp (where he's from).
Why are we wasting our picks on crap? Honestly.

To be fair, he was a 6th round pick - which is a crapshoot as it is.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2017, 09:16:11 AM »
We also have confirmation from Lou that Jack Walker wasn't given a qualifying offer, so one year after he was drafted as an overager, he is a free agent. He attended Minnesota's development camp (where he's from).
Why are we wasting our picks on crap? Honestly.

To be fair, he was a 6th round pick - which is a crapshoot as it is.

It was a reasonable enough gamble:
SeasonAgeGPGAPTS
2012-13165891322
2013-1417487815
2014-151870183755
2015-161972364884
2016-172070314172

Look at the ramp up from D-1 to D+1 in production and it looks a lot like there was some upswing there, especially on a player with great wheels and transitioning from defense to forward.

He tapered off, and thus didn't warrant a fringe contract. Same with Korostelev and Desrocher. If Walker was our 3rd rounder, I might have more questions for Hunter. That being said, lower round picks are projects by definition, and projects need more time, so where's the wisdom in going with an overager without runway at that depth of the draft?

As it stands, I would have rather shed fringe NHL contracts as soon as I could instead of letting the clock run out on these projects, as they didn't really get a chance to even make it into our development system.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2017, 09:32:39 AM »
He's 22 going on 23 later this year, which is younger than I expected.

I'm not sure what you were expecting of a guy who just finished his 3rd AHL season but I think 23 is right around where the idea of a ton of individual development is unlikely.

I wasn't disagreeing. Just thought Rychel was older based on his plateaued development (my guess was also 24), which was surprising because I still see growth potential in Johnsson (higher ceiling).

Out of curiosity, here's who was drafted +/- 5 of Rychel:
Wennberg
Pulock
Zadorov
Lazar
Mueller
Rychel
Mantha
Gauthier
Poirier
Burakovsky
Shinkaruk

Down a couple more slots are Shea Theodore and Marko Dano.
Jury's still out on Mantha (looks decent though), and other than the bolded two, this chunk of the draft looks pretty much cooked.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2017, 09:43:54 AM »
Down a couple more slots are Shea Theodore and Marko Dano.
Jury's still out on Mantha (looks decent though), and other than the bolded two, this chunk of the draft looks pretty much cooked.

It's funny, that draft looks crazy good #1-14 and then, like you say, not much after.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2017, 12:31:38 PM »
http://www.tsn.ca/invitees-upstage-draft-picks-at-leafs-development-camp-1.803276

Kristen Shilton with a writeup on the development camp stand outs.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2017, 02:50:20 PM »
Fun thought about the format of the dev camp: free agents vs prospects -- it's almost a Dubas vs Hunter scrimmage.

The idea for the format was largely Dubas + Pellerin, and the longshots that got a chance with the camp were Dubas-ian picks of underrated talent. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the available ones get a look with the Solar Bears and/or Marlies, a la Trevor Moore last season.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2017, 10:35:59 AM »
Really good video and info about Nikolai Chebykin on r/leafs.

He's got size, speed, and skill, and it looks like he wrecked his junior league, and had a strong showing in the minor league after getting the usual KHL garbage treatment.

Online Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2017, 05:51:06 PM »
Really good video and info about Nikolai Chebykin on r/leafs.

He's got size, speed, and skill, and it looks like he wrecked his junior league, and had a strong showing in the minor league after getting the usual KHL garbage treatment.
Hopefully a Diamond in the rough!
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Big Daddy

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2017, 11:01:40 PM »
If he is only 19 why cant he play for the London Nights

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2017, 01:20:13 PM »
More on Chebykin's situation:
https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/toronto-maple-leafs-prospects/2017/7/12/15955736/toronto-maple-leafs-draft-pick-nickolai-chebykin-is-in-limbo-marlies-development-camp

And now he has a new home with SKA-NEVA, CSKA St. Petersburgh's VHL team, for the next two years. I don't know that he'll get an opportunity with the KHL in that time due to CKSA's mad depth; they have been bleeding players to the NHL the past two seasons though.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2017, 09:17:47 AM »
HERE WE GO! This is the best part of the offseason for me.

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/toronto-maple-leafs-top-25-prospects-under-25/2017/7/24/15983968/top-25-under-25-2017-toronto-maple-leafs-no-love-for-the-bottom-half-of-the-draw

Here are the ones that did not make the cut, and literally did not receive any votes whatsoever. A lot of it has to do with
a) we have a lot of young/prospect depth (some of them are not prospects per se)
b) We've been drafting a lot more (numerically) than in seasons past
c) 2016-2017 drafts were a lot of unknown players and PPP has limited, if any insider knowledge

I think it's perfectly fine that some of the players on this particular list fly under our collective radars. Some of these are probably in the trade bucket (Lindberg). I'm looking forward to seeing where Bobylev, Chebykin, and Kara slot in once we get more eyeballs on them.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2017, 11:12:45 AM »
PPP is just dragging this week out with names that didn't make the cut (but got some tail end votes): Dakota Joshua, JJ Piccinich, Trevor Moore. I'm guessing there'll be one more cut tomorrow (Aaltonen? Valiev? Sparks? Rasanen?) as the list is now at 26.

Still eligibles:
Adam Brooks
Andreas Borgman
Andreas Johnsson
Andrew Nielsen
Auston Matthews
Calle Rosen
Carl Grundstrom
Connor Brown
Connor Carrick
Dmytro Timashov
Eemeli Rasanen
Garret Sparks
Jeremy Bracco
Joseph Woll
Josh Leivo
Kasperi Kapanen
Kerby Rychel
Miro Aaltonen
Mitch Marner
Morgan Rielly
Nikita Soshnikov
Rinat Valiev
Timothy Liljegren
Travis Dermott
William Nylander
Yegor Korshkov
Cut:
Dakota Joshua
Fedor Gordeev
Frederik Gauthier
Ian Scott
JD Greenway
Jesper Lindgren
JJ Piccinich
Kasmir Kaskisuo
Keaton Middleton
Martins Dzierkals
Nicolas Mattinen
Nikolai Chebykin
Nolan Vesey
Pierre Engvall
Ryan McGregor
Ryan O'Connell
Tobias Lindberg
Trevor Moore
Vladimir Boblyev
Vladislav Kara

Online Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2017, 12:26:20 PM »
Out of that list, the name that sticks out as never going to reach beyond his current standing is Valiev, who is at this point probably an average AHL defenseman and with other options available, I don't see him sniffing the NHL again through Toronto. 

Everyone else on the list probably can still sniff the NHL (if they aren't already there), even though I doubt more than 5 of the players listed below #8 are full-time NHLers during their career.  (Some others will get call-ups, but will not be everyday players.  Some of the wingers probably won't get a sniff of the Maple Leafs, but on teams with less winger depth they may see it down the road)

Anyways, my ranking:

Auston Matthews
William Nylander
Mitch Marner
Morgan Rielly
Timothy Liljegren
Kasperi Kapanen
Connor Brown
Connor Carrick
Carl Grundstrom
Travis Dermott
Adam Brooks