Author Topic: Marleau signed [3 years, $6.25mil AAV]  (Read 8449 times)

Offline jdh1

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Marleau signed [3 years, $6.25mil AAV]
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2017, 06:08:03 PM »
I,m wondering how a 37 year old can keep up with the young guns?

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2017, 06:08:31 PM »
I think it's pretty safe to say that the deal doesn't get done without the 3rd year. So while we may prefer a 2 year deal, it's pretty likely the choice was 3 years or no Marleau.

Yeah, I'm assuming that San Jose offered close to the same deal that is rumoured for Joe T. At any rate, I love that he's an ironman and if anyone can do three years at his age, it's probably him.
BWB

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2017, 06:09:43 PM »
So it's actually a pretty smart contract. It's basically giving him three years worth of money over two years with a pretty strong likelihood that he doesn't play the third year here(or anywhere).
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2017, 06:10:34 PM »
I,m wondering how a 37 year old can keep up with the young guns?

Even at 37 Marleau is probably one of the faster guys in the league.

Offline gunnar36

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2017, 06:11:21 PM »
I'm actually a little shocked, maybe puzzled by this one.  I would have to think they are shopping one or both of Bozak or JVR.  I count 16 competent forwards now that should be playing next season if you include Soshinikov, Kapanen and Leivo...seems like a bit of a log jam up front.
I'm all for some veteran presence but we really bumped up the average age with the last 3 signings. Admittedly, I haven't paid much attention to Marleau the past few seasons, but you really think he is still a $6 million guy?

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2017, 06:12:14 PM »
I just saw this suggested on twitter... what are the odds they give Marleau the C for a couple of seasons?

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2017, 06:14:26 PM »
I just saw this suggested on twitter... what are the odds they give Marleau the C for a couple of seasons?

Could be a good move. Keeps the pressure off Matthews for a few years and gives him a mentor/ line-mate to learn more from.
BWB

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2017, 06:18:43 PM »

I could see it, but honestly, I'm not crazy about pinning the C on a guy who just got here, unless it's someone who is going to come in and be the best player.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2017, 06:19:43 PM »

I don't think it makes a ton of sense. I think it puts a ton of pressure on a player to expect him to come into a new situation and instantly be the leader of a bunch of players he's not terribly familiar with and, as coaches and players like to say in interviews, it's not like putting a C on his chest will fundamentally alter whatever leadership qualities he brings.

I don't know if Matthews is ready, or even if Matthews is the right choice among the young players, but I wouldn't force it regardless.
-Mark Twain

Offline Britishbulldog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2017, 06:24:39 PM »
This is a perfect signing in my books with the salary structure.  The term is probably what's needed to convince him to come to the Leafs and he is bigger, heavier and a significant offensive upgrade on Hyman.  Wow!!
All The Best
Dan

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2017, 06:26:57 PM »

I could see it, but honestly, I'm not crazy about pinning the C on a guy who just got here, unless it's someone who is going to come in and be the best player.

Let's see what he does with the locker room stereo system first.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2017, 06:28:57 PM »
So, what we likely look like as of right now:

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Martin-Moore-Hyman

Rielly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Hainsey
Marincin/Dermott/Swede-Carrick

Andersen
McBackup

*Hyman's always been the only winger on the team playing his off-wing. Even if JVR or Komarov get dealt, I hope this move slides him over to the right side.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2017, 06:34:07 PM »
This kind of veteran is a hell of a lot more valuable to me than Hainsey or Moore.

Three years doesn't lock the Leafs in.  Marleau isn't who he used to be but he's still fast, good defensively and provides a good veteran presence on the forward group. 

Find a top 4 defenseman and this is a great offseason.

Offline gunnar36

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2017, 06:38:13 PM »
So, what we likely look like as of right now:

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Martin-Moore-Hyman

Rielly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Hainsey
Marincin/Dermott/Swede-Carrick

Andersen
McBackup

*Hyman's always been the only winger on the team playing his off-wing. Even if JVR or Komarov get dealt, I hope this move slides him over to the right side.
They need to find a way to at least get one of Kapanen or Soshinikov into lineup full time.  They are both excellent forecheckers and can play valuable pk minutes. Yes, you will argue that Moore and Marleau will do the same, but i see youthfulness as an asset in providing a more effective and relentless forecheck.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2017, 06:39:37 PM »
I'm actually a little shocked, maybe puzzled by this one.  I would have to think they are shopping one or both of Bozak or JVR.  I count 16 competent forwards now that should be playing next season if you include Soshinikov, Kapanen and Leivo...seems like a bit of a log jam up front.
I'm all for some veteran presence but we really bumped up the average age with the last 3 signings. Admittedly, I haven't paid much attention to Marleau the past few seasons, but you really think he is still a $6 million guy?

6 million as a number is a pretty flexible concept. Is he worth 6 million the same way a RFA is? No. Is he worth 6 million the way a 29 year old UFA getting 7 years is? Again, probably not.

My expectations for him are that he can be a 45-50 point guy with at least 20-25 of those being goals while being solid defensively and a good locker room presence. What would I ideally pay for someone like that? Less than 6 million, sure, but realistically that doesn't happen in this case. You are paying a premium for making this happen and it's not a bad one or likely to hurt the team in any meaningful way.

What this also does is let the leafs have some movable assets when trying to shore up the D. Trading JVR or Brown with Marleau already in the fold lets them do it from a position of strength where they don't have to worry about how they can fill a top 6 spot. How they shape the 4th line beyond that is, you know, kind of champagne problems.
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2017, 06:39:37 PM »