Author Topic: Hainsey to Leafs [2 years, $3.0mil AAV]  (Read 3189 times)

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hainsey to Leafs
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2017, 01:09:20 PM »
I said that it'd start with a 3. If it's closer to 3.0 than 4.0 I'll be fine with it. Hainsey-Carrick could be a good bottom pairing. We still need to get another rightie in the top-4 though. So I'll be a little less fine with the deal if it's the only move we make on the blue line. Of course I've mentioned the one I want a number of times:

Rielly-Demers
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Carrick
Marincin

Would look fine to be.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 01:11:27 PM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline AtomicMapleLeaf

• Prospect
  • Leaf Fan in Los Alamos, NM
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2017, 01:09:36 PM »
Honestly, I would like Franson now.  Especially if the rumors of Moore are true.

Offline freer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2017, 01:10:13 PM »
Ugh, but probably the best of the stay at home bunch. Ugh.

It seems that our leadership team is not so pro-analytics as we might like.  I think we are seeing louality at work here.
Every team requires one stay at home D man, so this in ok by me

Offline KadriFan

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2017, 01:12:05 PM »
I guess they can always unload him at the deadline.  He proved he can excel in the playoffs

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2017, 01:22:53 PM »
Leafs PR‏ @LeafsPR
The #Leafs announced today the signing of free agent D Ron Hainsey to a 2-year contract with an AAV of $3 million in each season #TMLtalk

Leafs confirm.

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2017, 01:23:53 PM »
I said that it'd start with a 3. If it's closer to 3.0 than 4.0 I'll be fine with it. Hainsey-Carrick could be a good bottom pairing. We still need to get another rightie in the top-4 though. So I'll be a little less fine with the deal if it's the only move we make on the blue line. Of course I've mentioned the one I want a number of times:

Rielly-Demers
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Carrick
Marincin

Would look fine to be.

It's 3.0:

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2017, 01:25:58 PM »
Now that it's official, I'm not certain he's that much better than Marincin over the distance.

I hope he is stronger mentally and less prone to the tail spins Marincin would occasionally find himself in.

If he can be and be a #REALGUDPro it could be a good signing.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hainsey to Leafs [2 years, $3.0mil AAV]
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2017, 01:46:51 PM »
As Hainsey pointed out on TSN, he played under a Babcock-disciple in Bill Peters for the past 3 years so that should make the transition to our system a little easier.

He also talked about how excited he is to play behind the forwards on our team.

Online louisstamos

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Treestar
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2017, 01:53:14 PM »
On further reflection - I don't mind this.  It's a little much per year, but the term is good.

His advanced stats aren't bad.  Basically 50% Corsi player - some bad years in Winnipeg, but some good years in Carolina.  PDO is consistently around 99-100.  His GF/GA at even strength leaves a lot to be desired, but not bad for a guy who's basically going to be a 3rd pairing guy.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2017, 01:54:18 PM »
His GF/GA at even strength leaves a lot to be desired, but not bad for a guy who's basically going to be a 3rd pairing guy.

Yeah I noticed that too looking things up. Should be noticed Carolina's had some pretty awful goaltending over the past few years.

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2017, 02:04:04 PM »
Well, if we can trade JVR for Demers and sign Marleau then we may have an incrementally better defensive team next year. An upward tick in performance from the rookies could push us a level higher. 

Tampa, Carolina, Columbus and the Rangers (with Shats) will be teams to watch out for.

Online Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2017, 03:49:49 PM »
looks like a good pick up, Polak is probably done and Hunwick was and is a Penguin. Gives the Leafs a two year development frame for one of the youngsters. And as mentioned could be flipped at the deadline.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2017, 06:55:58 PM »
Aside from his age, Hainsey appears to have been a worthy signing.  He provides experience and defensive depth.  His cap hit at $3M may seem high but it's not something the Leafs can't live with.  Barring any (long term) injury a la Polak, he can be seen as an upgrade to Polak and a good replacement for Hunwick.

...itís only a two year deal, so worst case scenario is that he doesnít work out and you eat the cap hit. Also, this falls into the Leafs two year window before they have to re-sign Matthews and Marner, so the cap hit wonít cause any problems in that regard, although it might cause some issues with Nylanderís extension.

At the very least, Hainsey is a solid, third pair defenseman who has experience. He can play on both sides, so he has a bit of versatility to him, and heís a better option than Polak. The cap hit is a bit high, but not high enough to cause any massive problems, and itís a short enough term that the Leafs might be able to afford to bite the bullet if it goes wrong. Itís not ideal, especially if this is the only defenseman they sign...

https://theleafsnation.com/2017/07/01/leafs-officially-sign-ron-hainsey-to-2-year-3-million-contract/
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 07:23:11 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2017, 12:39:30 AM »
Mirtle: Why the Leafs got an upgrade in choosing Ron Hainsey over Matt Hunwick
https://theathletic.com/72302/2017/07/01/mirtle-why-the-leafs-got-an-upgrade-in-choosing-ron-hainsey-over-matt-hunwick/

Key difference is the QoC Hainsey faced in his career.

I've upgraded from ugh to mmmeh.

Online disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2017, 10:01:53 PM »
hahahahahahaha
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2017, 10:01:53 PM »