Author Topic: Timothy Liljegren Highlights  (Read 6724 times)

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Timothy Liljegren Highlights
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2017, 02:22:42 PM »

Hmmmmm

Liljegren: "We were just building chemistry."
Lou: PayPal sent.

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2017, 05:18:22 PM »
Liljegren scored for Swe. Slick shot.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2017, 01:16:31 PM »
www.twitter.com/uffebodin/status/895322570160955394

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2017, 09:11:46 AM »
I really wonder if the Leafs plan to keep him and see if he can make the team.  If not for the mono, he was projected as the best dman of the draft, a top 3 potential pick.  Usually there's a few guys that go right from the draft into the NHL, I wonder if he's one.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2017, 09:33:35 AM »
If not for the mono, he was projected as the best dman of the draft, a top 3 potential pick.

No. Before the season he was that highly thought of. Then he fell. In part because of mono and in part because he didn't play well. Year-out draft projections aren't entirely useful even when everyone's healthy. Angelo Esposito wasn't a superstar.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2017, 09:38:27 AM »
If not for the mono, he was projected as the best dman of the draft, a top 3 potential pick.

No. Before the season he was that highly thought of. Then he fell. In part because of mono and in part because he didn't play well. Year-out draft projections aren't entirely useful even when everyone's healthy. Angelo Esposito wasn't a superstar.

But the mono led to his not playing well and subsequent draft rankings drop.   I'm hopeful with a full summer training he's back to full strength and can perform like scouts had envisioned one year ago.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2017, 09:40:16 AM »
I really wonder if the Leafs plan to keep him and see if he can make the team.  If not for the mono, he was projected as the best dman of the draft, a top 3 potential pick.  Usually there's a few guys that go right from the draft into the NHL, I wonder if he's one.

He'd have to blow everyone out of the water to make the team off the hop. I see them giving him a full length look training camp.

Usually the ones that jump from draft to NHL are getting picked by garbage teams due to garbage depth. We have lots of depth now at RD, but we don't have the franchise-level of player that a contending team prefers to have back there. Liljegren has a shot at becoming such a player and I don't mind slow rolling it a bit to get him up to speed and adjusted on NHL ice.

The Marlies is the best situation for him to grow at the moment: NHL ice, Leafs system training (esp. for defense), SO MANY Swedes on that team, and future teammates to grow with.

Online Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2017, 10:25:51 AM »

The good news is there's the option of placing him with the Marlies, because he was drafted out of Europe.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2017, 11:01:30 AM »
But the mono led to his not playing well and subsequent draft rankings drop.   I'm hopeful with a full summer training he's back to full strength and can perform like scouts had envisioned one year ago.

Why he didn't play well is a combination of things. He did, however, return from the Mono and the Leafs aren't the only team that know that Mono is a temporary condition. The reasons for his drop are more varied than just him having mono. Scouts clearly saw things in his return they didn't like.

We all hope he can have a solid career but we shouldn't put the burden on him of a draft position higher than where he was actually drafted.
-Mark Twain

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2017, 11:21:28 AM »
It's just interview talk after the fact, but Liljegren has stated that he accelerated his return from mono (i.e. before he was 100%) and tried to do too much on the ice in reaction to seeing his draft stock falling as others climbed.

A lot of his issues on the ice are largely decision-making ones, rather than a lack of skill or physical capability.

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2017, 12:06:02 PM »
It's just interview talk after the fact, but Liljegren has stated that he accelerated his return from mono (i.e. before he was 100%) and tried to do too much on the ice in reaction to seeing his draft stock falling as others climbed.

A lot of his issues on the ice are largely decision-making ones, rather than a lack of skill or physical capability.

Yeah you hope that he calms down, get his his head level and realized he doesn't have to overplay to prove himself.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2017, 12:49:59 PM »

I mean, we've had this conversation before but high speed decision making is very much a skill. We've all seen countless examples of guys with tons of "skill" and NHL bodies who never put it together.
-Mark Twain

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2017, 01:15:47 PM »
I mean, we've had this conversation before but high speed decision making is very much a skill. We've all seen countless examples of guys with tons of "skill" and NHL bodies who never put it together.

And I enjoyed that conversation, so let's have it again!

Yes it is very much a skill that can be developed. I think it's also pretty contingent on who else is on the ice, who you trust to do what, the structure of the team you're playing on and against.

We saw similar with Gardiner. He had many visible decision making gaffes that were a function of a) how much he had the puck (due to skillz); b) how often he was left on his own (due to teams structure and teammates).

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2017, 02:17:50 PM »
Yes it is very much a skill that can be developed.

And this was our impasse. I still don't agree that it can be developed the way you do. I think a lot of it is as innate as size or speed. Even with Gardiner, he still has the tools and quickness to make some very good decisions but he also is prone to the occasional brain cramp.

Some guys are hardwired to be risk takers. There are elements of positional play that get better with age and players can retrain themselves to use their talents in different ways but, again, that's true of other abilities that you probably would say can't be taught.

A player's capacity to grow and develop in that way is a big question mark at the draft. Sure, someone like Liljegren isn't going to have physical impediments in his way but outside of size, which I think we both agree is overvalued, anyone picked in the first round is going to have the same question marks of whether or not they can train themselves to improve at the mental side of the game.
-Mark Twain

Online Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2017, 02:51:41 PM »
I'm on Nik's side. I'm dumbing it down, but it's like saying "anyone can get smarter." That's just simply not true (within reason.)

Sure, a smart hockey player can learn more about the game through coaching and experience, but there's still finite limits on a player's capacity to think extremely quickly and to be creative in applying their skills.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2017, 02:51:41 PM »