Author Topic: Hamonic to CGY  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: Hamonic to CGY
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2017, 09:29:13 PM »
I think it has more with giving the player what he wants rather than fear of playing against him.  He asked for a trade out West last year for Family reasons.

First off, it wasn't "last year". He made the request in November of 2015. So I don't buy that the guy asks out, the team makes him wait two years and then their primary focus is going to be on what he wants.

But second, like I said, I don't think the Leafs would have pursued this to the extent that we were going to start hearing about potential players involved if they didn't have a general sense that Hamonic would be alright with coming here.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Captain Canuck

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2017, 09:53:31 PM »
Glad that Hamonic got his wish to be traded to a team closer to home.
If you haven't seen it, watch the E60 segment "In the Name of the Father".
You can't help but pull for Travis after you've seen it.
Winnipeg would have been perfect, but Calgary will be the next best thing for him.

Offline Bates

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2017, 04:50:10 AM »
I guess that other 7 months is a big deal hey?  I meant as in last season.  Of course the Islanders would like best return but I genuinely think they preferred to get best return from a place that the player wanted to go to and that is Western Canada.  I don't recall saying Hamonic didn't want to come here, just tgat his first choice was West.  As I'm sure he would have picked Winnipeg over Calgary but didn't get that chance.
I think it has more with giving the player what he wants rather than fear of playing against him.  He asked for a trade out West last year for Family reasons.

First off, it wasn't "last year". He made the request in November of 2015. So I don't buy that the guy asks out, the team makes him wait two years and then their primary focus is going to be on what he wants.

But second, like I said, I don't think the Leafs would have pursued this to the extent that we were going to start hearing about potential players involved if they didn't have a general sense that Hamonic would be alright with coming here.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 06:58:11 AM »
I guess that other 7 months is a big deal hey?

When it happened is actually pretty significant because a lot of things can happen in that time span. Like, for instance, Hamonic's desire to be closer to home(as opposed to just "West) might have gone away slightly as he Got more involved in the local community or just the situation changed. In fact, it might have changed to the point where in the time since then and now Hamonic might have actually rescinded his trade request:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-travis-hamonic-rescinds-trade-request-islanders/

Of course that doesn't even get into the 3rd grade geography of the issue. Like I said, Hamonic wanted to be closer to home, not just a generic request to be flung westward and practically, in terms of distance to Winnipeg, there is no real difference between Toronto and Calgary in that respect.

So in looking at this trade we have these two options:

1) New York liked what Calgary was offering more than Toronto

2) In order to sort-of fulfill a 2 year old trade request that had since been rescinded, the Islanders went with the second best offer they got in order to give Hamonic a marginally shorter flight home from where they traded him than Toronto.

Think horses, not zebras.

-Mark Twain

Offline Bates

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 01:14:13 PM »
He rescinded trade request as you know but the request was always to Western Canada.  I doubt he wouldn't still want Western Canada but previous reason seems to have played itself out.  You however are perfectly ok to spin it whatever wrong way you want. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/hamonic-requests-trade-from-islanders-report/c-788613

I guess that other 7 months is a big deal hey?

When it happened is actually pretty significant because a lot of things can happen in that time span. Like, for instance, Hamonic's desire to be closer to home(as opposed to just "West) might have gone away slightly as he Got more involved in the local community or just the situation changed. In fact, it might have changed to the point where in the time since then and now Hamonic might have actually rescinded his trade request:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-travis-hamonic-rescinds-trade-request-islanders/

Of course that doesn't even get into the 3rd grade geography of the issue. Like I said, Hamonic wanted to be closer to home, not just a generic request to be flung westward and practically, in terms of distance to Winnipeg, there is no real difference between Toronto and Calgary in that respect.

So in looking at this trade we have these two options:

1) New York liked what Calgary was offering more than Toronto

2) In order to sort-of fulfill a 2 year old trade request that had since been rescinded, the Islanders went with the second best offer they got in order to give Hamonic a marginally shorter flight home from where they traded him than Toronto.

Think horses, not zebras.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 08:16:58 AM »
He rescinded trade request as you know but the request was always to Western Canada.  I doubt he wouldn't still want Western Canada but previous reason seems to have played itself out.  You however are perfectly ok to spin it whatever wrong way you want. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/hamonic-requests-trade-from-islanders-report/c-788613

Only you could possibly think of the measured distance between two cities as "spin".
-Mark Twain

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 09:46:23 AM »
The rumoured situation with Toronto's offer was that it was JVR and a 2018 1st rounder, and the deal fell apart because JVR wouldn't waive his NTC and/or agree to talk about an extension with the Islanders. I'd make the case that that's a better offer than what they got from Calgary.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2017, 10:22:48 AM »
The rumoured situation with Toronto's offer was that it was JVR and a 2018 1st rounder, and the deal fell apart because JVR wouldn't waive his NTC and/or agree to talk about an extension with the Islanders. I'd make the case that that's a better offer than what they got from Calgary.

Wasn't the idea there that it wouldn't just be Hamonic coming back though?
-Mark Twain

Online Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2017, 10:24:29 AM »

This morning on the radio, Dreger said he doesn't believe the Leafs offered a first round pick. 

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2017, 10:25:27 AM »
I don't really get Toronto's interest in a player who has already stated their desire to be on the west coast? I have a hard time believing the Leafs were an option or even pursuing him. Why trade for someone who doesn't want to be there?
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2017, 10:34:20 AM »

That reported offer was originally from Isles beat reporter Arthur Staple. All he said was JVR and a 2018 1st for Hamonic. Didn't mention anything else. Simmons reported the same thing but it's hard to tell if that came from his own sources or if he was just parroting what Staples wrote. I don't recall hearing about anything extra but I might have missed it.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2017, 10:36:16 AM »

That reported offer was originally from Isles beat reporter Arthur Staple. All he said was JVR and a 2018 1st for Hamonic. Didn't mention anything else. Simmons reported the same thing but it's hard to tell if that came from his own sources or if he was just parroting what Staples wrote. I don't recall hearing about anything extra but I might have missed it.

At the draft when Friedman first reported on Hamonic potentially being moved to Toronto he said it was as part of a "larger deal".
-Mark Twain

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2017, 10:38:27 AM »
I don't really get Toronto's interest in a player who has already stated their desire to be on the west coast? I have a hard time believing the Leafs were an option or even pursuing him. Why trade for someone who doesn't want to be there?

He didn't say he wanted to be on the West Coast and, regardless, he rescinded his trade request. He was not traded because he wanted out of New York.
-Mark Twain

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2017, 10:41:10 AM »
At the draft when Friedman first reported on Hamonic potentially being moved to Toronto he said it was as part of a "larger deal".

Ah, ok, I found this tweet from Staple on that:

Arthur Staple‏ @StapeNewsday
From @FriedgeHNIC, #Isles discussing "bigger" deal than just futures with TOR, 2 pick/prospect from CGY. TOR has 59th pick, CGY no 2nd.

So he interpreted that comment as the deal being larger than just draft picks, which is originally what Snow was after.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2017, 10:51:22 AM »
He didn't say he wanted to be on the West Coast and, regardless, he rescinded his trade request. He was not traded because he wanted out of New York.

The other team that the Islanders were pushing Hamonic on was Colorado. That's not exactly "Western Canada" either. I think it's pretty safe to say his trade request had little-to-nothing to do with this.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2017, 10:51:22 AM »