Author Topic: Trade Deadline  (Read 6350 times)

Offline leafsjunkie

• Marlie
    • View Profile
Re: Trade Deadline
« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2018, 01:04:28 PM »
You've got to have a guy like Martin on the team despite how much the NHL has changed. 

Why?
Protection for guys like Auston Matthews.  Just ask Mats Sundin what he thinks of Tie Domi.

Martin does not deter or stop anything, it's hogwash.
This carries no weight in today's NHL.

Offline Strangelove

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2018, 01:14:09 PM »
You've got to have a guy like Martin on the team despite how much the NHL has changed. 

Why?
Protection for guys like Auston Matthews.  Just ask Mats Sundin what he thinks of Tie Domi.

So Martin’s presence in the press box will have an impact on whether the other team finishes their check against Matthews?

I know this was a popular line of thinking in the Don Cherry / Bobby Orr years, but I didnt think anyone still thought this way.

Offline sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2018, 02:15:03 PM »

Why?

So Martin’s presence in the press box will have an impact on whether the other team finishes their check against Matthews?

I know this was a popular line of thinking in the Don Cherry / Bobby Orr years, but I didnt think anyone still thought this way.
Things can still get out of hand in an NHL game and sometimes a guy like Martin is useful, is all I'm saying.  Against a team like Boston, for example.  You don't want Marchand running around doing whatever he wants out there.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2018, 02:37:56 PM »
Most teams are no longer carrying sherrifs on their rosters. Usually the player instead is faster and more skilled. Dedicating a roster spot to that type of role player puts the team behind in terms of generating goals (and wins).

Martin is not a dedicated fighter but he can admirably fulfill that role while playing NHL level hockey. Unfortunately for him, we have players like Kapanen who are several factors better than him at hockey and at the end of the day, that matters more to the team’s success.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Yesterday at 04:53:15 PM »
Leafs are reported to have offered a 5th for Glendening. The Red Wings countered with an ask of a 2nd.

Offline sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Yesterday at 05:27:56 PM »
So what's wrong with Dominic Moore again?  And what kind of upgrade would Glendening be?  I can understand the Leafs wanting to upgrade, but at least do it right.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Yesterday at 05:49:17 PM »
Centre depth move, I guess.  You won't have to worry about this guy wanting more ice and to play in the top 9. 

Babcock loves his PK guys.

I'd prefer someone with a little more offensive upside, as long as we're shopping.

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Yesterday at 06:45:37 PM »
Leafs are reported to have offered a 5th for Glendening. The Red Wings countered with an ask of a 2nd.

This was reported by "Wings Nation" are they a reputable outlet?

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Yesterday at 06:58:01 PM »

This was reported by "Wings Nation" are they a reputable outlet?

I got the report via Frank Seravelli/TSN by way of MLHS.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: Yesterday at 07:01:31 PM »

If this news is at all accurate, Lou is scuttling any potential deal as we speak. News doesn't leak about deals he stays involved in.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Yesterday at 07:02:39 PM »

If this news is at all accurate, Lou is scuttling any potential deal as we speak. News doesn't leak about deals he stays involved in.

I'm trying to broadcast it as much as possible for that very reason.

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Yesterday at 07:22:15 PM »
Perhaps the Wings could use Leivo?
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares Drew Doughty

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Yesterday at 07:24:22 PM »
There is a Glendening  damn up in Thornbury/Clarksburg, hope that is not a sign.

When I last saw him play I liked his game, seems to have a bit more grit than Moore although Moore seems to be a smoother skater.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline azzurri63

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Yesterday at 07:35:53 PM »
TSN says prices are high for some potential players looking to be moved. I wouldn't give up too much for anybody. Possibly Kapenen at least for Glendening. No thanks. The way Babcock judges players I would leave any trades to Lou & Shanny and leave Babcock out of the final decision. Babcock's judge of personnel is suspect. From a guy who says Gardiner has a high hockey IQ. F me.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #148 on: Yesterday at 07:35:53 PM »