Author Topic: Expansion Draft  (Read 3166 times)

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Expansion Draft
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2017, 01:27:51 PM »
Nope; perhaps if Polak hadn't gotten injured, his bravery, heart, determination, and physical prowess would make him an attractive signing.

Hunwick's a solid veteran presence that LV should strongly consider.

If Vegas is picking strictly from the unprotected lists, I think they're going to have plenty of veteran defensemen to work with. If they're leveraging their cap space on side deals, I think they'll have plenty of veterans who are still good, but not cost-effective, to work with. What I'm saying is Hunwick is not likely going to be the pick Vegas takes from Toronto, not with scoring options in Rychel/Leipsic available.

Depending on how the draft shakes out, they still might pick him up after July though, because of the reasons you listed and being cheap, but not before then.

I mean, yes, Vegas should take either Polak or Hunwick. They are darn gud pros and big men.

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2017, 01:29:04 PM »
I'm banking on that old standby Eric Fehr.  When the Leafs acquired him there were already rumblings that he's a player Vegas might take...yes it's wishful thinking on my part, but I'm the king of wishful thinking.

Having seen some of the posts by others here, I think you are a mere lordling of wishful thinking at best.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2017, 01:31:25 PM »
I'm banking on that old standby Eric Fehr.  When the Leafs acquired him there were already rumblings that he's a player Vegas might take...yes it's wishful thinking on my part, but I'm the king of wishful thinking.

I genuinely keep forgetting that Eric Fehr is on this team.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2017, 01:35:33 PM »

Having seen some of the posts by others here, I think you are a mere lordling of wishful thinking at best.

McPhee traded Forsberg for Erat, so I hold out hope that he doesn't know what he's doing.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2017, 02:27:23 PM »

There were rumours of a side deal being in the works that would see Vegas take Fehr, yes. What the Leafs would be giving up for that to happen, however . . .
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2017, 03:08:10 PM »
You know, I don't think that it's completely insane to suggest that Vegas might prefer someone like Eric Fehr over Leipsic or Griffith or Rychel. Let's not forget that our very own head coach (and maybe the best coach in the entire world) preferred Eric Fehr over Leipsic or Griffith or Rychel this season.* And we know from his firing in Florida that Gerard Gallant would prefer to have size and toughness on his 4th line over skill, so his 4th line would probably look similar to Babcock's.

While I like what Vegas is doing with the expansion draft in terms of using it to secure as many draft picks as possible, they're still probably going to be making their selections to create an ideal hockey team, not just picking the best 30 players. And on an ideal hockey team for somebody like their coach (and lots of other coaches), a player with size and grit and experience and toughness and all that jazz is usually preferred over guys like Leipsic/Griffith/Rychel.

So when McPhee and Gallant are putting together their line-up, if they think that their top-9 forwards are better options than those 3 young guys, do they pick one anyway and have them sit in the press box/try to get them through waivers or do they get a guy who better fits the mould of their ideal 4th liner?

* - Ok, he only played 1 game but we ALL know if he didn't get injured he would have stuck around.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 03:15:12 PM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2017, 03:17:31 PM »
You know, I don't think that it's completely insane to suggest that Vegas might prefer someone like Eric Fehr over Leipsic or Griffith or Rychel. Let's not forget that our very own head coach (and maybe the best coach in the entire world) preferred Eric Fehr over Leipsic or Griffith or Rychel this season.* And we know from his firing in Florida that Gerard Gallant would prefer to have size and toughness on his 4th line over skill, so his 4th line would probably look similar to Babcock's.

While I like what Vegas is doing with the expansion draft in terms of using it to secure as many draft picks as possible, they're still probably going to be making their selections to create an ideal hockey team, not just picking the best 30 players. And on an ideal hockey team for somebody like their coach (and lots of other coaches), a player with size and grit and experience and toughness and all that jazz is usually preferred over guys like Leipsic/Griffith/Rychel.

So when McPhee and Gallant are putting together their line-up, if they think that their top-9 forwards are better options than those 3 young guys, do they pick one anyway and have them sit in the press box/try to get them through waivers or do they get a guy who better fits the mould of their ideal 4th liner?

* - Ok, he only played 1 game but we ALL know if he didn't get injured he would have stuck around.

Rychel's a pretty big and tough kid though, right?...but I still see your point.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2017, 03:28:11 PM »

I like your thinking.  As far as I'm concerned, McPhee can go ahead and sign such proven NHL UFAs such as:

Colin Greening
Brooks Laich
Milan Michalek
Matt Hunwick
Roman Polak

there's a wealth of grit, sandpaper and some scoring touch there.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2017, 09:37:42 PM »
There is a world of glass in Vegas, so Lupul is the concensus choice for glass makers everywhere.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline jdh1

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2017, 10:17:47 PM »
There is a world of glass in Vegas, so Lupul is the concensus choice for glass makers everywhere.
I wonder how much of his contract is left,1 year 2 years...it seems like ages ago he played for the Leafs.

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2017, 08:29:14 AM »
He has one year left on his contract. Cap hit of $5.25M and salary of $3.75M

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2017, 04:48:49 PM »
It seems like the consensus out there is that the Leafs are in talks with Vegas to flip  a D man Toronto's way.

Dumba looks like the best option. He's a right hand shot, good point shot, logs lots of minutes and is only 22.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs-trade-right-shot-defenceman-vegas-golden-knights-expansion-draft-dumba-vatanen-manson-van-riemsdyk-methot/
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 04:50:35 PM by RedLeaf »
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2017, 09:35:48 PM »
It seems like the consensus out there is that the Leafs are in talks with Vegas to flip  a D man Toronto's way.

Dumba looks like the best option. He's a right hand shot, good point shot, logs lots of minutes and is only 22.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs-trade-right-shot-defenceman-vegas-golden-knights-expansion-draft-dumba-vatanen-manson-van-riemsdyk-methot/

Rumour has Vegas trying to sign Minnesota RFA Erik Haula as part of their exclusive negotiating period, which would take Dumba off the table.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline KadriFan

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2017, 06:34:14 AM »
My thinking Colin Miller will be the next Leaf.  Just my guess though....

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2017, 02:30:10 PM »
Dreger is reporting Leipsic will be Leaf selected.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2017, 02:30:10 PM »