Author Topic: 2017 Off-season Trades/Signings Discussion  (Read 15126 times)

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
2017 Off-season Trades/Signings Discussion
« on: June 10, 2017, 08:57:34 AM »
With the Expansion Draft looming on the heels of the Finals, and the NHL prospect draft shortly after that, it's going to be make or break time for GMs and their staff.

Kicking things off are the Blackhawks with a soon to be confirmed shakeup to their core:
www.twitter.com/JayZawaski670/status/873385398315175936
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 10:50:51 PM by herman »

Online AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Off-season Trade Discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 09:00:01 AM »
Hossa?  I don't see it being Kane or Panarin.  Maybe on the backend?  Seabrook?

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 09:03:19 AM »

Seabrook is who my mind immediately went to. Hossa I suppose is a possibility but that seems like it would be a pretty small shake-up outside of the optics of it.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 09:16:05 AM »
Hjalmarsson? 2 years left at 4.1 is probably their most valuable move if they're reshelving rather than retooling. Anisimov is also a possibility but I don't know that he's this exciting a core member.

Seabrook would probably be their ideal move but that'll take a Phanuefian deal and I don't see Chicago having the cap space to absorb shorter dumpback whales in return. 

Old Kruger news is that he's part of a VGK move.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 09:22:53 AM »
Seabrook would probably be their ideal move but that'll take a Phanuefian deal and I don't see Chicago having the cap space to absorb shorter dumpback whales in return.

I don't see Seabrook as someone who you'd need to take offsetting deals for. He's pretty valuable in his own right.
-Mark Twain

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 09:35:51 AM »
I'd bet on it being Hossa...his actual salary is only $1m on a $5.275 cap hit, and with 4 more years to go at 38 years old.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 09:54:25 AM »

I don't see Seabrook as someone who you'd need to take offsetting deals for. He's pretty valuable in his own right.

Yeah he has value (RHD shot generator, Cup champ); the 6.88AAV until he's 38 is off putting to me. And at 32, there is only gradual decline to look forward to.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 10:15:03 AM »

Yeah he has value (RHD shot generator, Cup champ); the 6.88AAV until he's 38 is off putting to me. And at 32, there is only gradual decline to look forward to.

Well, maybe off putting to you, but he's been really durable and reliable, is a big body, and his production is still strong.

I think he'd fetch a pretty decent return on his own.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 10:21:24 AM »

Sure, which is why he'd be a questionable pickup for a rebuilding team but a team in win now mode or at least looking to compete right away would probably see things differently. A team like Dallas or Buffalo would probably take a bad couple years at the end if it meant an immediate and substantial improvement to their defense now.
-Mark Twain

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 11:14:07 AM »

Agreed, however, it's hard to make deals involving substantial cap hits that don't involve taking back some offsetting deals for. The Hawks wouldn't have to take the full hit back, but they'll probably need to absorb ~$4M from the other team - just because that's how things tend to go these days.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 11:29:21 AM »

Agreed, however, it's hard to make deals involving substantial cap hits that don't involve taking back some offsetting deals for. The Hawks wouldn't have to take the full hit back, but they'll probably need to absorb ~$4M from the other team - just because that's how things tend to go these days.

True. I guess what I meant is more that he's not someone you'd have to take on dead weight for the way the Leafs did with Phaneuf. I think he's valuable enough that you would take back some salary but it could be in the form of useful or at least semi-useful players.
-Mark Twain

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 01:33:44 PM »
Old Kruger news is that he's part of a VGK move.

I remember thinking that Kruger's contract was so bad, but it was only for $0.5mil more than Martin and came with 1 less year.

Still, another one for the "don't give term and money to 4th liners" camp.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 02:11:02 PM »
www.twitter.com/MarkLazerus/status/873709662977220609

Per this whole thread: nothing concrete, but Anisimov and Seabrook don't appear to have been approached to waive their NMCs, while Hossa's and  Hjalmarsson's name have been mentioned.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 03:09:32 PM »
Per this whole thread: nothing concrete, but Anisimov and Seabrook don't appear to have been approached to waive their NMCs, while Hossa's and  Hjalmarsson's name have been mentioned.

Not to get overly semantic-y or anything but to me that seems like it's stretching the definition of "core" slightly. Obviously Hossa has a lot of symbolic value but to me making a big deal about trading part of your "core" means you're looking to make a substantial difference to the make-up of your team. If you swapped out Hjalmarsson I don't really know if I'd consider that to a big shake-up.

Which isn't to say anyone's been wrong, just that the media reports may be being a bit sensationalized.
-Mark Twain

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 04:00:58 PM »
From what I've seen of Chicago fan responses online (i.e. not representative of anything in particular), they'd be more sour about moving Hjalmarsson than Seabrook.

https://theleafsnation.com/2017/06/10/the-leafs-should-stay-away-from-chicagos-moving-core/

I'm trying to remember where I read this other article about how other teams tend to overpay for Chicago's cast offs (3/4 liners) a la Bolland.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 04:00:58 PM »