Author Topic: 2017 Off-season Trades/Signings Discussion  (Read 15127 times)

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Off-season Trade Discussion
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 03:57:27 PM »
MLHS does a nice round up of silly season:
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2017/06/12/leafs-links-niklas-hjalmarsson-move-think-going-get-bomb-two-offseason-says-friedman-takeaways-penguins-back-back-cup-wins/

Dreger and Friedman echo the Hjalmarsson rumours, and ixnay Seabrook chatter. I guess being one of the 6 that have won 3 with Chicago qualifies Hjalmarsson as core, but probably on the 5/6 end, vs Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Hossa.

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Off-season Trades/Signings Discussion
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 10:44:39 PM »
www.twitter.com/dstaples/status/874798297373843456

Not a trade. What a leaker!

Edit: the full article leads to this fun article:
http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/analytics-expert-says-kris-russell-of-edmonton-oilers-is-underrated-and-one-of-nhls-top-defensive-d-men

Where Jim Hiller and the stat tracking company he co-founded is mentioned as Kris Russell boosters. And then it gets into this weird Corsi-is-a-false-god schtick which was a lark.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:01:14 PM by herman »

Offline slapshot

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 02:30:34 PM »
Avs may leave Erik Johnson unprotected because of salary. Would you make a deal for him if Avs were willing to retain $1 million of his salary, leaving the Leafs with $5 million for the next 5 years locked in. He's 29, a former #1 overall , 6' 4" with a bit of a mean streak, excellent skater and great shot. Though he's never lived up to #1 ranking (his knock as been inconsistency), could he take his game to another level under Babcock as other guys like Jake Gardiner have done? He certainly would qualify for top 4 right-handed shot position. And, if a deal couldn't be worked out with the Avs, would you snag him if left unprotected at no asset costs, other than the money? Have him locked up and not too old.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 02:40:49 PM »
Edit: the full article leads to this fun article:
http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/analytics-expert-says-kris-russell-of-edmonton-oilers-is-underrated-and-one-of-nhls-top-defensive-d-men

Where Jim Hiller and the stat tracking company he co-founded is mentioned as Kris Russell boosters. And then it gets into this weird Corsi-is-a-false-god schtick which was a lark.

This was my favour part:

I would pay him well, Werenka says of Russell. He does make a high number of defensive mistakes, but its part of the nature of how he plays. I think hes underrated. Hes drastically underrated.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 02:46:44 PM »
Avs may leave Erik Johnson unprotected because of salary. Would you make a deal for him if Avs were willing to retain $1 million of his salary, leaving the Leafs with $5 million for the next 5 years locked in. He's 29, a former #1 overall , 6' 4" with a bit of a mean streak, excellent skater and great shot. Though he's never lived up to #1 ranking (his knock as been inconsistency), could he take his game to another level under Babcock as other guys like Jake Gardiner have done? He certainly would qualify for top 4 right-handed shot position. And, if a deal couldn't be worked out with the Avs, would you snag him if left unprotected at no asset costs, other than the money? Have him locked up and not too old.

Johnson's NMC requires him to be protected if he refuses to waive it, and there's no real indication the Avs even asked him to before this past Sunday's deadline.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 03:04:55 PM »
This was my favourite part:

I would pay him well, Werenka says of Russell. He does make a high number of defensive mistakes, but its part of the nature of how he plays. I think hes underrated. Hes drastically underrated.

Another part that made me laugh:

You can say this is subjective, but theres been a couple phrases we like to use: Consistent subjectivity equals objectivity. And how do you know if that consistent subjectivity is meaningful, if it makes sense, is right? Thats where your correlation to winning comes in.

For which I was reminded of this:

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2017, 11:06:41 AM »
Chris Neil has been informed the Senators will not be re-signing him.

Francois Beauchemin has been bought out by the Avs.

There is also some trade chatter about interest in Phaneuf, who has 4 years left at $7 AAV, but declining actual salary (7.5/6.5/6.5/5.5). Rangers? Vegas?

Carolina has bridged Teuvo Teravainen to 2 years 2.86 AAV.

There's a din of rumour-murmurs around Galchenyuk+ for Drouin as well.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 11:17:29 AM by herman »

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2017, 11:18:59 AM »

Have to imagine that's basically the end for him.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 11:44:49 AM »

That feels like a very Montreal move. Bring in a smaller, highly skilled winger, while moving bigger, still very skilled C coming off a down year.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 11:45:34 AM »

Have to imagine that's basically the end for him.

The "end" of Chris Neil was about 5 years ago.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2017, 12:27:48 PM »

That feels like a very Montreal move. Bring in a smaller, highly skilled winger, while moving bigger, still very skilled C coming off a down year.

And Drouin is french, while Galchenyuk isn't.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2017, 02:31:19 PM »
This was my favourite part:

Another part that made me laugh:

You can say this is subjective, but theres been a couple phrases we like to use: Consistent subjectivity equals objectivity. And how do you know if that consistent subjectivity is meaningful, if it makes sense, is right? Thats where your correlation to winning comes in.

For which I was reminded of this:

I pride myself on my ability to be consistently wrong. 

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2017, 02:59:17 PM »
I pride myself on my ability to be consistently wrong.

Where is it you practice medicine again?  ;D

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 03:00:59 PM »

I understand this sort of thing for coaches and GMs... but does Montreal really prioritize language/nationality to the point they'd sell low/overpay?

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 03:07:40 PM »

I understand this sort of thing for coaches and GMs... but does Montreal really prioritize language/nationality to the point they'd sell low/overpay?

I dunno, but it's fun for me to pretend they would.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 03:07:40 PM »