Author Topic: Kris Versteeg  (Read 12202 times)

Online Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Kris Versteeg
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2011, 12:27:25 PM »
Toronto traded Versteeg a few days after they traded for Lupul, I think that may have been a factor in the decision to trade Versteeg.

Offline crazyperfectdevil

• Veteran
  • Dead Inside
    • View Profile
Re: Kris Versteeg
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2011, 12:58:57 PM »
I don't know..I followed philly's run a bit last year..in the playoffs..and I felt a lot of the changes that they did make to the team were due to playoff performance ...obviously my own feeling ..I haven't talked to their GM  ...but Versteeg had a piss poor playoffs..became somewhat invisible if not for the mistakes he was making

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2011, 01:08:35 PM »
..but Versteeg had a piss poor playoffs..

I don't think that's true. He scored at a decent clip without a lot of ice time and played pretty good defense throughout. He wasn't a gigantic difference maker but he was solid throughout.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

• Veteran
  • Dead Inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2011, 01:19:32 PM »
..but Versteeg had a piss poor playoffs..

I don't think that's true. He scored at a decent clip without a lot of ice time and played pretty good defense throughout. He wasn't a gigantic difference maker but he was solid throughout.

I dunno how many minutes he was getting a game in chicago ...but 6 points ...1 goal for the flyers in their run...definitely nothing that you hang your hat on ....  he was a +1 ..i guess that's nice...

Anyway..i feel pretty safe in saying if Philly thought that Versteeg was going to play like he's playing this year..that they would have found some space for him..just as i believe that the leafs would have...so no..what philly did doesn't exonerate toronto ..but the more teams that look at a guy and say "not for us"  the less i tend to blame a team for not seeing his potential ...

Guess we'll see if he can keep this up over the season

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2011, 01:20:55 PM »
that's a little unfair to just automatically label every single player who has a god year in a contract year as it being related to that. 

He's currently over a point-per-game, but let's not get carried away now.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2011, 01:38:46 PM »
I dunno how many minutes he was getting a game in chicago ...but 6 points ...1 goal for the flyers in their run...definitely nothing that you hang your hat on ....  he was a +1 ..i guess that's nice...

6 points in 11 games from a guy getting third line ice time is, again, not bad. Add in that he was killing penalties and one of only three forwards on the team in the plus department and calling it a "piss poor" performance doesn't seem to add up at all.

Anyway..i feel pretty safe in saying if Philly thought that Versteeg was going to play like he's playing this year..that they would have found some space for him..just as i believe that the leafs would have...so no..what philly did doesn't exonerate toronto ..but the more teams that look at a guy and say "not for us"  the less i tend to blame a team for not seeing his potential ...

Again, two teams being wrong in the same way doesn't make them less wrong. Wrong by consensus is no better.
-Mark Twain

• Veteran
  • Dead Inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2011, 01:51:08 PM »

6 points in 11 games from a guy getting third line ice time is, again, not bad. Add in that he was killing penalties and one of only three forwards on the team in the plus department and calling it a "piss poor" performance doesn't seem to add up at all.

Again, two teams being wrong in the same way doesn't make them less wrong. Wrong by consensus is no better.

Sure it does... you'd like to always be right of course...but in this case if one team passes on a guy and he does well ..it means your organization failed to see the talent ..failed to see what was "right" with this player ...the more organizations that are wrong right along with you means..that there isn't some kind of special failure that's linked only to your organization .....that perhaps it was just generally hard to see how this guy was going to be successful ... so yes..it's easy to argue that wrong is wrong .... but wrong alone in this case?  ..is worse..

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2011, 02:04:19 PM »
Sure it does... you'd like to always be right of course...but in this case if one team passes on a guy and he does well ..it means your organization failed to see the talent ..failed to see what was "right" with this player ...the more organizations that are wrong right along with you means..that there isn't some kind of special failure that's linked only to your organization .....that perhaps it was just generally hard to see how this guy was going to be successful ... so yes..it's easy to argue that wrong is wrong .... but wrong alone in this case?  ..is worse..

I think I'd be more inclined to agree with you if it weren't for a few things. First and foremost that both clubs had outside factors influencing their decision to deal Versteeg and that we can't take too much away from just that decision. Secondly if this were a Steve Sullivan kind of situation where he'd passed through waivers you could claim a sort of consensus here but with just two teams all you have is a pair of bad answers.

And more critical to my original point, I think the Leafs were in a better position to play wait and see with Versteeg. The Flyers very well could be motivated by the fact that they thought they were ready to compete right away with Bryzgalov and Jagr and Versteeg not fitting in immediately carried more weight. I don't think either the Leafs or Flyers looked at Versteeg and said "This guy isn't any good" because that would have been insane. I think the Flyers may have said "This guy isn't the kind of player we need right now" and dealt him and there's some justification for that. If the Leafs said the same thing I'd have asked them where the fire was. 
-Mark Twain

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »

"From my perspective, I think Kris, his best contributions would come on a better team," Burke admitted. "You look at what he contributed with Chicago, he wasn't having the same impact on our group."

Monday's deal was the second major transaction made by Toronto in the last week. Last Wednesday, the Leafs sent defenseman Francois Beauchemin to the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for forward Joffrey Lupul and college blueliner Jake Gardiner. Burke is confident Lupul can pick up the slack in Versteeg's absence.

"We think he can provide some of the offense that Kris has been providing," Burke said of Lupul, a three-time 20-goal scorer. "That allowed this deal to go forward. There's a bit of a sequence in there. We're happy with both trades. We traded two guys we didn't want to trade -- two guys that were good players and quality people in Francois Beauchemin and Kris Versteeg. But you want quality, you've got to give up quality.

"I think Kris Versteeg's a real good hockey player and a good guy," Burke added. "I think he's going to have an impact with the Philadelphia Flyers. We wish him well."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=552761
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Rebel_1812

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2011, 05:59:02 PM »

"From my perspective, I think Kris, his best contributions would come on a better team," Burke admitted. "You look at what he contributed with Chicago, he wasn't having the same impact on our group."

Monday's deal was the second major transaction made by Toronto in the last week. Last Wednesday, the Leafs sent defenseman Francois Beauchemin to the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for forward Joffrey Lupul and college blueliner Jake Gardiner. Burke is confident Lupul can pick up the slack in Versteeg's absence.

"We think he can provide some of the offense that Kris has been providing," Burke said of Lupul, a three-time 20-goal scorer. "That allowed this deal to go forward. There's a bit of a sequence in there. We're happy with both trades. We traded two guys we didn't want to trade -- two guys that were good players and quality people in Francois Beauchemin and Kris Versteeg. But you want quality, you've got to give up quality.

"I think Kris Versteeg's a real good hockey player and a good guy," Burke added. "I think he's going to have an impact with the Philadelphia Flyers. We wish him well."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=552761

considering the deal atlanta made with chicago, I feel our package was better and the player we got in return was less. 

Offline Madferret

• Veteran
  • CHUCK NORRIS X2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2011, 11:31:42 AM »
I guess it kind of falls under this thread's umbrella - Stalberg is really starting to spread his wings in Chicago...7G 13A +10, 2 GWG.

Online Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2011, 03:35:21 PM »
I guess it kind of falls under this thread's umbrella - Stalberg is really starting to spread his wings in Chicago...7G 13A +10, 2 GWG.

Are we gonna mention every player the Leafs have ever traded who went on to do something on another team in this thread? 

Wellwood? 
Sullivan?
Boyes?

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2011, 03:39:23 PM »

He's just doing his best Ponikarovsky impression.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Madferret

• Veteran
  • CHUCK NORRIS X2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2011, 03:59:03 PM »

Are we gonna mention every player the Leafs have ever traded who went on to do something on another team in this thread? 

Wellwood? 
Sullivan?
Boyes?

Isn't this the Ex-Leafs area? Like I said - Versteeg was part of the Stalberg deal.
Did you even post here when that deal went down?

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2011, 04:23:04 PM »

Good for him, he definitely has the tools to be a good NHL player.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2011, 04:23:04 PM »