Author Topic: Kris Versteeg  (Read 12198 times)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Kris Versteeg
« on: November 10, 2011, 11:36:37 PM »

This thread isn't meant as a shot at the team for dealing him, just that I was always in his corner and am interested to see what he makes of his career.

Coincidentally, I decided to start this thread after seeing he got a hat-trick tonight.

Versteeg Verever!
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
Re: Kris Versteeg
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 09:21:41 AM »
Steeger Fever!
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline A Weekend at Bernier's

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 12:19:49 PM »

This thread isn't meant as a shot at the team for dealing him, just that I was always in his corner and am interested to see what he makes of his career.

Coincidentally, I decided to start this thread after seeing he got a hat-trick tonight.

Versteeg Verever!

He's sure making the most of his opportunity in Florida, where he's getting first line minutes and - coincidentally? - playing like a first line player.

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 02:13:51 PM »

Versteeg Verever!

He's sure making the most of his opportunity in Florida, where he's getting first line minutes and - coincidentally? - playing like a first line player.

Well TBH looking at the goals I feel like he's getting into the dirty areas and banking home the goals. I think maybe he's simply a better fit in Florida.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Seymore Pucks

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 03:11:35 AM »
He still going great and the only ex Leaf to do so at the moment.  Right up the with the point leaders.  I actually thought he was going ok on the third line with Armstrong before he got traded.  Good on him I say. 

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 10:31:06 AM »

Versteeg Verever!

Well TBH looking at the goals I feel like he's getting into the dirty areas and banking home the goals. I think maybe he's simply a better fit in Florida.

I wonder if being traded 3 times in about 1 calendar year kind of humbled him to the point where he can now deliver on hard work + talent and not just the latter.  He was always a very talented player but seemed waaay too cocky for his own good when he arrived in Toronto.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 11:36:08 AM »
I actually thought he was going ok on the third line with Armstrong before he got traded.

I don't think the issue with him was ever his play. He was always a talented player who got good results. As mentioned there was kind of an issue with his fit here as there was a lot of similarity between him and Kessel that made him kind of a bad fit for the top line and, with the 2nd line as successful as it was, the only spot for him was on the 3rd while getting a lot of special teams play.

I don't think it'll go down as a terrible trade because the Leafs got a fairly decent return for him but I do think it was a situation where the Leafs kind of bailed on a really talented player a little too soon.
-Mark Twain

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 11:50:52 AM »
I predict he will be traded twice this season and become the first player ever to win the Hart and Art Ross trophies while playing for three teams.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline crazyperfectdevil

• Veteran
  • Dead Inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 04:08:01 AM »
I actually thought he was going ok on the third line with Armstrong before he got traded.

I don't think the issue with him was ever his play. He was always a talented player who got good results. As mentioned there was kind of an issue with his fit here as there was a lot of similarity between him and Kessel that made him kind of a bad fit for the top line and, with the 2nd line as successful as it was, the only spot for him was on the 3rd while getting a lot of special teams play.

I don't think it'll go down as a terrible trade because the Leafs got a fairly decent return for him but I do think it was a situation where the Leafs kind of bailed on a really talented player a little too soon.

Perhaps...but philly didn't exactly seem thrilled with him either

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 09:23:34 AM »
Wasn't there some kind of incident where his car got screwed with here and Versteeg had a hissy-fit? I seem to recall a story to that effect and shortly after, he was traded away.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 09:44:03 AM »

Well, A) that really has no bearing on what the Leafs did and B) even if it were true, you could say the same about Mike Richards and Jeff Carter. Philly decided to totally revamp their team and that doesn't really reflect on who they dealt.
-Mark Twain

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 09:45:28 AM »

I'm not so sure you can really tell Philly's impression of him when he was moved in what was a mainly cap related deal.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 09:58:22 AM »
*cough* contract year *cough*

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 10:03:48 AM »

I'm not so sure you can really tell Philly's impression of him when he was moved in what was a mainly cap related deal.

If you can say it was a cap related deal with complete certainty I think you can say something was up with their impression of him overall with what they got for him to make that decision, young talented skaters don't normally get turned over so quickly for less than the purchase price.

"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 10:06:30 AM »
*cough* contract year *cough*

that's a little unfair to just automatically label every single player who has a god year in a contract year as it being related to that.  He's 25 and in his 4th NHL season (all three previous years with 20+ goals and 53, 44, 46 points) getting an opportunity to play on the top line for a team.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 10:06:30 AM »