Author Topic: Kovalchuk sweepstakes are on  (Read 2982 times)

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Kovalchuk sweepstakes are on
« on: May 09, 2017, 11:19:41 AM »
There's been talk of Ilya Kovalchuk returning to the NHL next season in the past month. But I believe we heard similar things last year as well so I was waiting for a more concrete announcement on the topic and we just got it:

Pierre LeBrun‏ @PierreVLeBrun  11 minutes ago
Devils GM Ray Shero says he has confirmed with agent Jay Grossman that Ilya Kovalchuk definitely wants to return to the NHL next season

Shero says Grossman free to speak to other teams about a potential deal. Devils would do a sign and trade. But deal has to make sense for NJ

Kovalchuk can't officially sign an NHL contract until July 1. So lots of time for all this to play out. But the Kovalchuk sweepstakes are on

Kovalchuk just turned 34 years old. In his first 4 seasons in the KHL he hovered just around a point-per-game mark, which is good but maybe a little underwhelming for an elite talent like Kovalchuk. This season though just jumped up to 78 points in 60 games.

Before he left for the KHL, for my money Kovalchuk was a top-2 left winger in the league (along with Ovi). It's really a shame that he left, especially during his 29-33 year old seasons. He was obviously never on Jagr's level but I feel there's similarities there between those two situations and how they left for the KHL. Hopefully Kovi can come back and play at a high level again for a few more seasons.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Kovalchuk sweepstakes are on
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 11:26:24 AM »
Also, how does Kovalchuk-Matthews-Nylander sound?

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 12:19:54 PM »

Honestly, a pylon matched on that line would still be awesome. Nylander would just gain entry, while Matthews banks the pylon off the left wall into the high slot. Nylander toe drags a check, flips the puck onto the pylon top, and Matthews hits a line drive off the tee through the low blocker hole.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 12:25:16 PM »
Honestly, a pylon matched on that line would still be awesome. Nylander would just gain entry, while Matthews banks the pylon off the left wall into the high slot. Nylander toe drags a check, flips the puck onto the pylon top, and Matthews hits a line drive off the tee through the low blocker hole.

Would probably get about as many primary assists as Hyman did.

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 12:27:56 PM »

I'd take the over.

A more serious scoring threat would open up space for Nylander and Matthews. If Hyman did tip and roof practice with JvR, and if JvR did board battle drills with Hyman, I think we'd be in a pretty good spot.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 12:31:04 PM by herman »

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 01:46:46 PM »
I wouldn't spend any assets on him at all, not what we need to be spending assets on right now.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 02:20:23 PM »

The pylon wouldn't be able to go into the corner and flip the puck to nobody in particular as well as Hyman.

Online Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 02:37:47 PM »
Please go to Las Vegas. They have the money, they need a star. Could help make them a little more competitive. 

I'm hoping Las Vegas becomes KHL-West. I hope all the Russian KHL guys looking to make the jump to the NHL join Vegas. It would generate interest and could maybe give them a chance. Unique opportunity.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 02:48:11 PM »
Please go to Las Vegas. They have the money, they need a star. Could help make them a little more competitive. 

I'm hoping Las Vegas becomes KHL-West. I hope all the Russian KHL guys looking to make the jump to the NHL join Vegas. It would generate interest and could maybe give them a chance. Unique opportunity.

A Kovalchuk-Shipachyov-Radulov top line would actually be pretty decent.

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 02:58:45 PM »
One of my favourite players of all time, so I'd be down.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 03:16:17 PM »

It'll be interesting to see how NJ treats this. Obviously getting something for Kovalchuk is better than nothing but my guess is they have a different price for Western Conference teams than they do Eastern ones.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Boston Leaf

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 03:17:59 PM »
He picked up his toys and went home once that is enough for me..(and yes so did Radulov but lets see how he plays out next year)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 03:23:49 PM »
He picked up his toys and went home once that is enough for me..(and yes so did Radulov but lets see how he plays out next year)

But I think the idea is that this would only be seen as a short term thing. He's 34 so you're not signing him as a long term solution regardless.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline azzurri63

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 06:08:39 PM »

No thanks my thoughts the NHL shouldn't even allow these guys to come back. Radulov same boat. These guys don;'t like the way things are going they leave their respective teams. I say screw you stay in Russia if it's that much better. Hopefully the lLeafs don't even entertain the thought even with Lou's ties to Ilya. Radulov will soak some team for 5-6 years and I guarantee you he won't last the term.

Offline wnc096

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 12:49:51 AM »

No thanks my thoughts the NHL shouldn't even allow these guys to come back. Radulov same boat. These guys don;'t like the way things are going they leave their respective teams. I say screw you stay in Russia if it's that much better. Hopefully the lLeafs don't even entertain the thought even with Lou's ties to Ilya. Radulov will soak some team for 5-6 years and I guarantee you he won't last the term.

Leafs should cut bait with Komarov then too I guess...

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 12:49:51 AM »