Author Topic: Leafs interested in Swedish free agent defenceman Calle Rosen  (Read 2185 times)

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
One of the hottest European free agents could find an NHL home sometime soon.

The Toronto Maple Leafs and Chicago Blackhawks are frontrunners to land Calle Rosen, a 23-year-old Swedish defenceman, The Athletic has learned.

Rosen, who is 6-foot and 180 pounds, has spent his entire career in Sweden. He’s played for the Vaxjo Lakers in the SHL the past two seasons and has emerged as one of the league’s premier defencemen. He had six goals, 13 assists and 18:44 of ice time in 41 games this season.

https://theathletic.com/56148/2017/04/26/maple-leafs-eyeing-swedish-defenceman-calle-rosen/

In terms of Swedish talent, hopefully he's somewhere between Erik Karlsson and Per Gustafsson.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 09:53:50 AM by Zee »

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs interested in Swedish free agent defenceman Calle Rosen
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 09:57:48 AM »

He's a left handed shot so he'd be a Hunwick replacement.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs interested in Swedish free agent Calle Rosen
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 09:58:23 AM »

The Toronto Maple Leafs and Chicago Blackhawks are frontrunners to land Calle Rosen, a 23-year-old Swedish defenceman, The Athletic has learned.

Rosen, who is 6-foot and 180 pounds, has spent his entire career in Sweden. He’s played for the Vaxjo Lakers in the SHL the past two seasons and has emerged as one of the league’s premier defencemen. He had six goals, 13 assists and 18:44 of ice time in 41 games this season.

https://theathletic.com/56148/2017/04/26/maple-leafs-eyeing-swedish-defenceman-calle-rosen/

In terms of Swedish talent, hopefully he's somewhere between Erik Karlsson and Per Gustafsson.
Another Zaitsev score? Yes please. I know nothing about this guy but my guess would be he would have a better shot at meaningful contribution to the Leafs then Chicago.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 10:02:09 AM »

Another Zaitsev score? Yes please. I know nothing about this guy but my guess would be he would have a better shot at meaningful contribution to the Leafs then Chicago.

Since it would be an entry level deal, money isn't the issue, it'll just be a matter of which organization he wants to play for.  Hopefully it's the Leafs since he'd fit into the age-range of the team.  Get Nylander to hang with him and sell him on the benefits of Toronto.  8)

Edit: obviously I don't know anything about him, he may be a complete bust, but hell, it would be a free player so why not?

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 10:07:10 AM »

Since it would be an entry level deal, money isn't the issue, it'll just be a matter of which organization he wants to play for.  Hopefully it's the Leafs since he'd fit into the age-range of the team.  Get Nylander to hang with him and sell him on the benefits of Toronto.  8)

Edit: obviously I don't know anything about him, he may be a complete bust, but hell, it would be a free player so why not?
This is why Mr. Hunter gets paid the big bucks. Bozak and Zaitsev have been absolute home runs. Hope we can get another one here.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 10:24:05 AM »

This is why Mr. Hunter gets paid the big bucks. Bozak and Zaitsev have been absolute home runs. Hope we can get another one here.

Bozak predates Hunter though.  That was under Burke.  Unless you just mean in general trying out players for free is good...which I agree :)

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 10:34:08 AM »

Bozak predates Hunter though.  That was under Burke.  Unless you just mean in general trying out players for free is good...which I agree :)
Obviously Bozak was pre Hunter... I am just saying its up to Hunter to decide whether or not Rosen is worth signing. Free is good, especially for a pre-seasoned prospect in the position we need most.

From what I have read in the last five minutes, he is smallish offensive D-man that needs to work more on his defensive game. Doesn't sound like the type of D-man I would want on my wish list but he could be an upgrade to what we have.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 10:40:33 AM by cabber24 »

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 10:36:20 AM »

Obviously Bozak was pre Hunter... I am just saying its up to Hunter to decide whether or not Rosen is worth signing. Free is good, especially for a per-seasoned prospect in the position we need most.

From what I have read in the last five minutes, he is smallish offensive D-man that needs to work more on his defensive game. Doesn't sound like the type of D-man I would want on my wish list but he could be an upgrade to what we have.

Hmm....Karlsson was a smallish, offensive d-man that needed to work more on his defensive game too.  See, I've already taken it to "Joe from the 'bridge" levels.

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 10:42:10 AM »

Obviously Bozak was pre Hunter... I am just saying its up to Hunter to decide whether or not Rosen is worth signing. Free is good, especially for a per-seasoned prospect in the position we need most.

Hmm....Karlsson was a smallish, offensive d-man that needed to work more on his defensive game too.  See, I've already taken it to "Joe from the 'bridge" levels.
Rosen is Swedish too! I think your on to something.

Offline louisstamos

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Treestar
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 11:19:22 AM »
They must be doing all their Swedish players right now.  Dreger says they've signed Carl Gundstrom to an entry level deal.  He was a Leaf 2016 2nd round pick.

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 12:06:59 PM »

Would YOU want to play for a team that got swept in the playoffs?
 8)

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 02:00:10 PM »

Really pigeon-holing the guy, huh?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 05:32:40 PM »

Huh, you and I read different things.  What I read (also quickly) said he was a good two-way defencemen who needed to add strength (only 176 lbs).

Anyone have a good resource for European scouting reports?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 05:34:41 PM by AvroArrow »

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 06:13:46 PM »
Signing with the Leafs after the worlds according to reports in Sweden.

Also worth noting that although he plays left side naturally, he played most of the past two seasons on the right side.

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2017/04/28/report-calle-rosen-sign-toronto-maple-leafs-world-championships/

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 07:10:23 PM »
 :D

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 07:10:23 PM »