Author Topic: So... how goes your rebuild?  (Read 3460 times)

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: So... how goes your rebuild?
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2017, 07:46:50 PM »
1C - Matthews
1W - Marner
2C - Kadri
4F - Nylander
1D - Rielly
2D - Gardiner

Hopefully he's not traded before I get there (July?)

Okay. I don't want to interrupt your flow necessarily, I was just thinking the 1W would be someone that does a lot of the scoring himself (I know that's kind of different when your 1C is a shooting centre). Dom's examples were Tarasenko, Pavelski, Kucherov, Hornqvist.

And if we were to turn this into a Nylander vs Marner discussion, well, I'd say Nylander has more offensive tools to work with than Marner. As much as I love Marner, Nylander can beat you with a circles-out wrister, a catch-and-release snap shot, a potent slap shot, an up-tight roof job a la JvR, a wait-out deke, and the wheels and hands to actually use it all, on top of pinpoint passing. Marner has more hustle, slightly more creative distribution, but needs a lot of time and space for his distance shots to actually find the back of the net (Kadri/Rielly level).

I'd also swap Gardiner and Rielly on the list.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2017, 03:09:03 PM »
Think the Leafs new motto should be:  Speed Kills
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2017, 12:00:56 AM »
1C - Matthews
1W - Marner
2C - Kadri
4F - Nylander
1D - Rielly
2D - Gardiner

Hopefully he's not traded before I get there (July?)

Okay. I don't want to interrupt your flow necessarily, I was just thinking the 1W would be someone that does a lot of the scoring himself (I know that's kind of different when your 1C is a shooting centre). Dom's examples were Tarasenko, Pavelski, Kucherov, Hornqvist.

Oh, life disrupted my flow. But I'm getting it back below.

I had Marner as the 1W mostly because there's little doubt he's staying there, unlike Nylander who is seen as a center. As his position was up in the air, I figured he'd fit 4F. But, since Babcock's said Nylander's staying put, will swap him in.

And, yes, it's a bit tricky when the 1C is the shooter and the wing is playmaker. But -- spoiler alert -- this ends with a chart like Dom's -- WAR for all -- so there's an interchangeability in the roles particular forwards play built in.

I'd also swap Gardiner and Rielly on the list.

Agreed. After the last 20 games and playoff, I think he's the Leaf's 1D.

Online disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2017, 01:51:33 PM »
Fun fact: Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner are both YOUNGER than Jeremy Bracco.
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Online disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2017, 04:42:03 PM »
I was thinking about teams around the league who have drafted high 3+ years but failed to turn it into a successful franchise. As in bottom-feeder/laughingstock/30th overall. Colorado and Edmonton Pt. One came to mind. They seemed to just wait around for something to happen year after year until their forwards developed poorly and the team maxed out.

What I like about the Leafs is that they blended some of their old guard with the high-drafted superstars and made a shrewd moves like Andersen, Euro-D and now Marleau. I believe teams Arizona and Buffalo have had enough of a high-draft talent infusion to do this as well, but the jury's still out on whether they will turn into contenders.
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2017, 04:45:56 PM »
I was thinking about teams around the league who have drafted high 3+ years but failed to turn it into a successful franchise. As in bottom-feeder/laughingstock/30th overall. Colorado and Edmonton Pt. One came to mind. They seemed to just wait around for something to happen year after year until their forwards developed poorly and the team maxed out.

Comparatively, they also were just unlucky in terms of when they bottomed out. Nail Yakupov was a bad pick but it was an awful draft. It's not like their turnaround is the result of being smarter, just luckier. The same is probably true in the case of the Leafs(who still have yet to become serious contenders).
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2017, 02:19:44 AM »
Comparatively, they also were just unlucky in terms of when they bottomed out. Nail Yakupov was a bad pick but it was an awful draft. It's not like their turnaround is the result of being smarter, just luckier. The same is probably true in the case of the Leafs(who still have yet to become serious contenders).

In addition to getting lucky when they bottomed out (that's mostly Matthews) and having a few old the "old guard" (JvR and Bozak, I guess) around to insulate rookies, I'd give some credit to the previous regimes and their scouting staffs for hitting on those top ten, but not quite top 5, picks they were piling up for since the last lockout. Kadri, Rielly, and Nylander have turned out to be very useful players.

Online disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2017, 03:46:26 PM »
For all the hand-wringing that goes on around here I'm looking around the league and thinking what it would be like to be a fan-base in some of these cities with teams that after YEARS of drafting high should at least be competitive/fun to watch/.500 club by now. Two in the basement have superstar franchise centers in Buffalo and Edmonton. Arizona has drafted high defensemen and forwards and Colorado had really good window of draft-picks. If this 9-7 club gets this much bitching after really 2-3 years tanking pain imagine what's going on with the fans in THESE markets...

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2017, 03:51:18 PM »

"Hey, at least we're not Arizona" said a fan of the richest team in the league with a straight face.
-Mark Twain

Online disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2017, 03:54:44 PM »
A little perspective and thankfulness just really isn't in some peoples DNA ;)
That's the crux of the post. Anyways...

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2017, 03:59:17 PM »

Set the bar low enough and you can just step over it, I guess.
-Mark Twain

Online disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2017, 04:05:04 PM »
Seem to be triggering this guy pretty good here... can't even see what he's saying (been on my ignore list for a while). What do you guys think? We're ahead of these teams? Better run? Should we have some perspective? What say TMLfans...

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2017, 04:06:40 PM »

"Perspective" in this case being short hand for being amazed at the prospect of a team somehow being better run than the Buffalo Sabres.
-Mark Twain

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2017, 04:10:30 PM »
Seem to be triggering this guy pretty good here... can't even see what he's saying (been on my ignore list for a while). What do you guys think? We're ahead of these teams? Better run? Should we have some perspective? What say TMLfans...

I pretty much agree with this:

Set the bar low enough and you can just step over it, I guess.

"Perspective" in this case being short hand for being amazed at the prospect of a team somehow being better run than the Buffalo Sabres.

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2017, 04:47:14 PM »
For all the hand-wringing that goes on around here I'm looking around the league and thinking what it would be like to be a fan-base in some of these cities with teams that after YEARS of drafting high should at least be competitive/fun to watch/.500 club by now. Two in the basement have superstar franchise centers in Buffalo and Edmonton. Arizona has drafted high defensemen and forwards and Colorado had really good window of draft-picks. If this 9-7 club gets this much bitching after really 2-3 years tanking pain imagine what's going on with the fans in THESE markets...
2-3 years of tanking pain! Holy crap we've been in the shitter a whole lot longer than that! 1967 was 50 years ago! I don't feel bad for any other hockey fans after what we've been through.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2017, 04:47:14 PM »