Author Topic: Buffalo fires Tim Murray and Dan Bylsma  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: Buffalo fires Tim Murray and Dan Bylsma
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 04:00:16 PM »
I get where busta is coming from but it's hard for me not to look at the Sabres as being the result of bad luck rather than bad decision making. Both the bad luck of losing out on McDavid, and getting a very good rather than transformative player, but also the bad luck of Eichel's injury. Another 20 games of Eichel this year and I think Buffalo wins enough games that it looks like they're making acceptable progress.

Not just McDavid, but Ekblad too. They had the best odds to draft 1st overall in both the 2014 and 2015 draft lotteries and lost both times.

Maybe. It's interesting because Ekblad wasn't quite the unquestioned lock at #1 that we'd seen in recent years and Buffalo had just drafted two defensemen in the first round in the previous year so maybe they still take Reinhart there.

Either way, I don't think Murray did a bad job. The pieces haven't entirely come together but I don't think expecting them to in two years since they atom-bombed the team into nothingness is realistic.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 04:03:25 PM »
I get where busta is coming from but it's hard for me not to look at the Sabres as being the result of bad luck rather than bad decision making. Both the bad luck of losing out on McDavid, and getting a very good rather than transformative player, but also the bad luck of Eichel's injury. Another 20 games of Eichel this year and I think Buffalo wins enough games that it looks like they're making acceptable progress.

Not just McDavid, but Ekblad too. They had the best odds to draft 1st overall in both the 2014 and 2015 draft lotteries and lost both times.

Maybe. It's interesting because Ekblad wasn't quite the unquestioned lock at #1 that we'd seen in recent years and Buffalo had just drafted two defensemen in the first round in the previous year so maybe they still take Reinhart there.

Either way, I don't think Murray did a bad job. The pieces haven't entirely come together but I don't think expecting them to in two years since they atom-bombed the team into nothingness is realistic.

Maybe what Toronto did this year had an impact?
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 04:25:04 PM »

I'm sure it did, I certainly heard enough of people comparing the two, and I think a fair case could be made that some of Murray's more questionable moves impacted the difference between the two situations(Ryan O'Reilly and Evander Kane maybe not being the ideal veterans to supplement a young core with).

It's an unfair comparison though. More or less everything went right this year for the Leafs and more or less everything went wrong for the Sabres. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if next year the two teams are basically on the same level.
-Mark Twain

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 08:29:51 PM »

I'm sure it did, I certainly heard enough of people comparing the two, and I think a fair case could be made that some of Murray's more questionable moves impacted the difference between the two situations(Ryan O'Reilly and Evander Kane maybe not being the ideal veterans to supplement a young core with).

It's an unfair comparison though. More or less everything went right this year for the Leafs and more or less everything went wrong for the Sabres. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if next year the two teams are basically on the same level.

Or switching places.  I could see the Leafs regressing while Buffalo surges forward on the backs of Eichel and Lehner.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2017, 01:25:19 PM »
How fun would it be to face Dean Lombardi + Ron Wilson...

Or maybe they dip back into Lindy Ruff, a la Ducks/Habs.

Dallas too. Or did I dream that?

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2017, 01:41:06 PM »
How fun would it be to face Dean Lombardi + Ron Wilson...

Or maybe they dip back into Lindy Ruff, a la Ducks/Habs.

Dallas too. Or did I dream that?

Not a dream. They brought back Hitchcock.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2017, 01:47:09 PM »
The only way I will accept Lindy Ruff going back to Buffalo is if Pegula hires Justin Timberlake to do a remake of SexyBack where sexy is replaced with Lindy.

Online Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2017, 02:40:39 PM »
The only way I will accept Lindy Ruff going back to Buffalo is if Pegula hires Justin Timberlake to do a remake of SexyBack where sexy is replaced with Lindy.

I'm bringin' Lindy back (yeah)
Them other coaches don't know how to act (yeah)
I think it's special, what's behind your back (yeah)
So turn around and I'll pick up the slack (yeah)

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2017, 02:51:23 PM »

I thought DMX would be more fitting.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2017, 03:14:31 PM »

I thought DMX would be more fitting.

You know, it wasn't until just now I realized that Ruff Ryders would be a pun on a dog barking.
-Mark Twain

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2017, 06:52:01 PM »
www.twitter.com/dellowhockey/status/855497830206758915

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2017, 02:10:38 PM »
The brother of Jennifer Botterill has been named the GM of the Buffalo Sabres, sort of in time for the drafts!

I don't know anything about Jason, most recently the associate GM of the Penguins, but Jim Rutherford says that if they win the Cup, Jason'll still get the hardware.

This is like all those teams that covet pieces of management and players from Detroit, Chicago, LA...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 02:16:50 PM by herman »

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2017, 03:20:04 PM »
Phil Housley in da house...

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 05:01:09 PM »

Goes from having Josi/Ekholm/Ellis/Subban or Weber to Ristolainen/Bogosian/Gorges/McCabe.

Good luck, Phil.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 05:12:08 PM »

Goes from having Josi/Ekholm/Ellis/Subban or Weber to Ristolainen/Bogosian/Gorges/McCabe.

Good luck, Phil.

He should suit up himself.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 05:12:08 PM »