Author Topic: Capitals @ Leafs - Apr. 4th, 7:30pm - TSN4, TSN 1050  (Read 2959 times)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: Capitals @ Leafs - Apr. 4th, 7:30pm - TSN4, TSN 1050
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2017, 12:03:11 PM »
I don't know. I guess I just don't see it that way. Outside of the handful of guys still on the roster, the connections are pretty tenuous, and the benefits of being able to "release the Boston baggage" are virtually non-existent from a practical/development POV. I don't see it as a hurdle they have to surpass or a lesson they need to learn (the lessons on how to handle the media will be basically the same regardless of who they face).

We may have gotten our wires crossed a little as I'm not saying it'd be good for this team to play Boston so they could exorcise any leftover demons. I'm saying I'd rather they play Washington to avoid the additional baggage although with the caveat that it's not a huge deal either way.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2017, 03:19:35 PM »
Are we overcomplicating things here though? I mean, Washington is probably going to win the President's Trophy and Boston -- like the Leafs -- is barely scraping into the playoffs. Why wouldn't the default be a preference to play the demonstrably inferior team?

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2017, 03:43:50 PM »
I just want the Leafs to get in.  I don't care who they play, sure Washington is the superior team, but nobody expected an earlier version of Washington to lose to Montreal like they did (that Halak run).  Upsets can happen, and what better way for the Leafs to announce they're back on the hockey map then to knock off the president's trophy winner in round 1? 

I don't expect the Leafs to win the Cup this year, but I'd like a massive upset playoff series win, that would be great.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2017, 04:27:44 PM »
Are we overcomplicating things here though? I mean, Washington is probably going to win the President's Trophy and Boston -- like the Leafs -- is barely scraping into the playoffs. Why wouldn't the default be a preference to play the demonstrably inferior team?

I suppose that depends on what you want out of the playoffs for the team. In terms of the learning experience, it may be better to face the Cup contender. In terms of building confidence, it may be better for them to have a chance to make the 2nd round.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2017, 04:34:09 PM »

I suppose that depends on what you want out of the playoffs for the team. In terms of the learning experience, it may be better to face the Cup contender. In terms of building confidence, it may be better for them to have a chance to make the 2nd round.

Facing the Caps in the conference final would provide the best of both worlds. Why choose?  8)
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares

Offline Strangelove

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2017, 05:17:17 PM »
I'm not reading too much into last night's game. The guys were pretty clearly tired and were playing short-handed most of the game on top of that.

I think Boston could realistically be a tougher playoff match-up. They are unstoppable right now.

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2017, 06:10:19 PM »

I remain unconvinced they'd learn any more from playing the Caps and being destroyed then they would by potentially playing two rounds of playoff hockey against any playoff team.

Offline azzurri63

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2017, 07:47:43 PM »

I like the latter.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2017, 07:52:37 PM »

I remain unconvinced they'd learn any more from playing the Caps and being destroyed then they would by potentially playing two rounds of playoff hockey against any playoff team.

I agree frog...I think I might even rather them getting smoked by Washington.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2017, 08:07:51 PM »

I'm not going to deny that where I'm coming from may be overthinking things(and even then I've arrived at a small preference for Washington) but we're largely talking about vague notions here. Unless you're talking about the Leafs actually winning the cup then we're talking about whatever psychic benefits the team may derive from losing which is pretty inexact stuff. I don't really think anyone really believes anything as simple as "If they play 12 playoff games instead of 6, that's double the experience points!"

If we are talking about a route to the Leafs actually winning the Cup then I don't think the difference matters much at all.
-Mark Twain

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2017, 10:05:01 PM »
I think most fans want the Leafs to face a weaker opponent out of the gate, with the hopes that all of the 'favorites', like the Caps, get knocked out of contention early, thus setting the scene for a magical door to open whereby the Leafs find themselves with a golden chance of winning the holy grail of hockey? Fictional? Yeah. But don't all of us have a fairytale ending deep in the recesses of our hearts when we watch our favorite team compete for a championship?  Maybe some of us just want the fairytale to last longer than 4 games. 8)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 10:07:18 PM by RedLeaf »
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2017, 10:21:54 PM »
I don't see much fairytale in that scenario. The Caps have consistently underperformed in the playoffs and may again this time. Let's say they draw us in the first round. I wouldn't bet on the Leafs, probably none of us would, but neither would I bet my life's savings on the Caps.

Parity, Miss Prism, parity....

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2017, 10:52:29 PM »

I like the idea of someone committed to a fairy tale but not to the point where they might entertain the idea that the Leafs could conceivably beat the Capitals.
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2017, 10:52:29 PM »