Author Topic: 2018 Olympics  (Read 3093 times)

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Olympics
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 10:59:00 AM »
This, 100%.  The NHL looks evil in everyone's eyes, but at the end of the day the IOC is much worse.  At the end of the day, the players and the fans lose out.

Yup. If the IOC had agreed to a couple of the league's fairly reasonable requests - co-merchandising opportunities, sponsorship, etc. - I imagine there'd be NHL players at the 2018 Olympics. At the end of the day, the owners just wanted a tangible, measurable benefit from going, and they didn't get one.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2017, 11:01:36 AM »
The NHL can be criticized for their self-interests here but let's not overlook that this is the result of two supremely self-interested organizations clashing and between the IOC and the NHL, I have way more sympathies with the NHL.

This, 100%.  The NHL looks evil in everyone's eyes, but at the end of the day the IOC is much worse.  At the end of the day, the players and the fans lose out.
I am not totally convinced the door is closed. Bettman's negotiating techniques are obnoxious and this could be just Bettman being Bettman. How many lockouts have we had? Maybe he's just pulling a heavy to get what he wants.

The players lose out as well. The players are the product, try to keep them happy? Is that a crazy notion?

As a fan, I don't care how much money the NHL and the IOC are making or not making. I want to see Team Canada win another gold on the world stage. Patriotism. The World Cup was an All Star tourney, a preseaon warm up, not the same.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 11:03:16 AM by cabber24 »
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 11:07:46 AM »
The players lose out as well. The players are the product, try to keep them happy? Is that a crazy notion?

In the immortal words of Don Draper, that's what the money is for.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 11:46:43 AM »
I am not totally convinced the door is closed. Bettman's negotiating techniques are obnoxious and this could be just Bettman being Bettman. How many lockouts have we had? Maybe he's just pulling a heavy to get what he wants.

Let's be clear for a second here. What Bettman wants is entirely meaningless. It's what the owners want. And "Bettman being Bettman" is acting how the owners have employed him to act. I know he makes for an easy bad guy, but he's really just a figurehead for the BoG when it comes to negotiations like this. If we're going to lay blame, let's lay the blame on the right people.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2017, 12:19:03 PM »
I think that'd be naive to assume he's just a figurehead for the BoG. I would imagine his influence is enormous.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2017, 12:28:28 PM »
I think that'd be naive to assume he's just a figurehead for the BoG. I would imagine his influence is enormous.

I've never gotten the impression, after all of these years and all of the issues that have popped up, that Bettman feels very personally about any of them. I think he has some strong and not always popular opinions on how best to grow the game financially but he's never struck me as being emotionally connected to any direction the league might take.

So, yeah, I think when it comes to keeping the team in Phoenix or the best way to conduct labour negotiations I think he can probably crack a whip but I think he can do that with facts/history on his side. Right now I think the issue is that even if Bettman did want to send players to the Olympics he's got nothing to say when an owner asks how it benefits the NHL.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2017, 12:39:29 PM »
I've never gotten the impression, after all of these years and all of the issues that have popped up, that Bettman feels very personally about any of them. I think he has some strong and not always popular opinions on how best to grow the game financially but he's never struck me as being emotionally connected to any direction the league might take.

So, yeah, I think when it comes to keeping the team in Phoenix or the best way to conduct labour negotiations I think he can probably crack a whip but I think he can do that with facts/history on his side. Right now I think the issue is that even if Bettman did want to send players to the Olympics he's got nothing to say when an owner asks how it benefits the NHL.

I have largely the same impression - and, even in situations where he can, as you say, crack the whip, he's still very much working to achieve goals set out by the BoG. It's at his discretion as to when he thinks there's something worthwhile to present to them when it comes to negotiations and such, but he doesn't decide what the league is looking for/demanding.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2017, 01:16:05 PM »

Let's be clear for a second here. What Bettman wants is entirely meaningless. It's what the owners want. And "Bettman being Bettman" is acting how the owners have employed him to act. I know he makes for an easy bad guy, but he's really just a figurehead for the BoG when it comes to negotiations like this. If we're going to lay blame, let's lay the blame on the right people.

And it's tough for me to use the word "blame" here...it's just 2 business that didn't come to an agreement.  The NHL shouldn't take any more heat than the IOC.

It's easy for us fans to take a side here because we have exactly zero dollars on the line.

Offline Stebro

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2017, 01:23:02 PM »
To me this is a pissing contest that is on a constant re-run. I'm bored with it to be honest :D I don't think Bettman wants to be the one who keeps the fans from seeing the best players in the world.
Life only demands from you the strength that you possess. Only one feat is possible; not to run away.

Offline jdh1

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2017, 03:12:40 PM »
I actually like the fact their not going,never like the thought of a compressed schedule,and then no NHL hockey for almost 3 weeks.

The only interest I had was in the Gold metal game and hopefully Canada was in it. The rest of the games  who cares.

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2017, 03:22:24 PM »
I'm disappointed because the Olympics represent to me the pinnacle of international competition featuring the best athletes in the world. But, I understand the economics of it.

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Rookie
    • View Profile
    • Ok Blue Jays
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2017, 03:44:35 PM »
I am not the bent out of shape about this. I have great memories of watching Canada battle for medals prior to the NHL involvement.  Besides I don't see any other pro leagues shutting down mid-season. If it isn't worth it to the NHL then so be it.

Online pmrules

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2017, 05:13:49 PM »
Sounds like Ovechkin's going to go in any event.

This could get fun real quick....

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2017, 05:28:41 PM »

Yeah, maybe, but he's got a contractual obligation that the league is going to want the Caps to enforce.

Also, if none of the Crosbys and McDavids are going, I'm not as sure he'll be super wanting to be there since it would be a pretty hollow win.

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Rookie
    • View Profile
    • Ok Blue Jays
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2017, 06:27:30 PM »

He doesn't want to miss out on getting another participation ribbon. Would throw off his whole collection.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2017, 06:27:30 PM »