Author Topic: Devils @ Leafs - Mar. 23rd, 7:30pm - SNO, TSN 1050  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: Devils @ Leafs - Mar. 23rd, 7:30pm - SNO, TSN 1050
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2017, 10:52:10 PM »

One of the weirder things about this season is the Leafs have a rookie defenseman getting 22 minutes a night, doing work on the PK and who'll probably end up with 35+ points and he's sort of an afterthought.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2017, 12:18:50 AM »

One of the weirder things about this season is the Leafs have a rookie defenseman getting 22 minutes a night, doing work on the PK and who'll probably end up with 35+ points and he's sort of an afterthought.

This season is one for the memory books.  You aren't likely to see a team with this many impact rookies contributing so consistently again anytime soon.

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2017, 10:44:40 AM »

Not to mention poor Connor Brown who's close to hitting 20 goals in his rookie season.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2017, 12:29:24 PM »

Not to mention poor Connor Brown who's close to hitting 20 goals in his rookie season.

Including his 7 games last year he has 37 points in 80 games as a rookie in the NHL.  Not bad for a 6th round pick. 

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2017, 12:50:53 PM »

Including his 7 games last year he has 37 points in 80 games as a rookie in the NHL.  Not bad for a 6th round pick.

14g at even strength this year...1 shorthanded...of his 17g, only 2 on PP.  That's tied with Marner and 2 more EVG than Nylander.

Kid plays 3rd most PK minutes of all forwards on team...only Komarov and Hyman have more this year.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2017, 02:21:59 PM »

I guess although I don't think in any year we'd go nuts over a rookie forward scoring 30 some odd points. With Zaitsev though he's already surpassed the rookie totals of Gardiner, Rielly, Kaberle...honestly off the top of my head I can't even think of the last rookie defenseman the team's had with this many points.

-Mark Twain

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2017, 02:27:21 PM »
Zaitsev impresses me a bit less though, given he turns 26 years old this year.

Online Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2017, 02:30:16 PM »

I guess although I don't think in any year we'd go nuts over a rookie forward scoring 30 some odd points. With Zaitsev though he's already surpassed the rookie totals of Gardiner, Rielly, Kaberle...honestly off the top of my head I can't even think of the last rookie defenseman the team's had with this many points.

I mean technically Zaitsev is a rookie, but at 25 years of age and 7 years in the KHL I think he's got quite the jump on other "rookie" defensemen.   You would hope a guy like that could jump right into the NHL and make an impact and he's done just that.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2017, 02:32:02 PM »

Which is fair although I think that also sort of applies to Brown to some extent(he's older than Rielly). My point about Zaitsev is really just about not really having much of a frame of reference for what he's doing.
-Mark Twain

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2017, 08:50:07 PM »

Which is fair although I think that also sort of applies to Brown to some extent(he's older than Rielly). My point about Zaitsev is really just about not really having much of a frame of reference for what he's doing.
Agreed, he has been a very pleasant surprise, now just find us a version of the KHL Weber
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2017, 10:09:03 AM »
I'm going to the game tonight, haven't seen one live in years.  Any tips on where to park close to the ACC, with a greater priority on convenience than price?

I live across the street from the ACC.  From a convenience perpective, it depends on what your priorities are (as you've stated price isn't the top one):

- walking distance
- speed of leaving after the game

To answer your question... which direction do you head afterwards?

I'm driving in from Gerrard and Pape and have to return my friend to his car there afterwards, if that helps.

Indeed it does- heading eastbound means a lot that is east of the arena is best. 

The place I'd suggest you park is in the surface lot behind the Toronto Star Building.  Its a bit more of a walk, but getting out of there is relatively painless compared to parking in my building complex (16 Harbour St.).  Any of the parking lots closer (ie 60 Harbour, Maple Leafs Square underground, or Green P at Bay/Lakeshore) are a pain to get out of after.

Thanks for the tips!  In the end, we ended up in a rush and taking what we could get in an underground lot and literally arrived in our seats right at puck drop.  Elected to go for wings afterwards because of the massive congestion getting out of the lot afterwards.  But a good night overall.  Thanks again.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2017, 06:18:24 PM »
The real secret is to leave any game 5 minutes before the end (unless it is a playoff game or a really important one), most people stay for the end of the game, if you do this then you are on the freeway in minutes and ahead of the crowd.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2017, 07:54:54 PM »
People who leave before the end of a sporting event really piss me off.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2017, 08:37:56 PM »
Nylander scored with 4 minutes left in the AZ game and they won 4-1.  I could have sit around for 4 minutes and sat in traffic for 2 hours and then had a hour drive home or scooted onto the highway and got home in the hour. Saved 2 hours of complete frustation. Sorry to offend Arn
                                           Navaho Proverb

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2017, 08:37:56 PM »