Author Topic: Leafs @ Blues - Feb. 2nd, 9:00pm - TSN4, Fan 590  (Read 2370 times)

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs @ Blues - Feb. 2nd, 9:00pm - TSN4, Fan 590
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 10:45:23 AM »
Why are they not doing a Shattenkirk for Fleury thing?

And then lose Allen in the expansion draft? He's having a godawful year sure but I wouldn't give up on him like that.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 11:34:19 AM »
Why are they not doing a Shattenkirk for Fleury thing?

And then lose Allen in the expansion draft? He's having a godawful year sure but I wouldn't give up on him like that.

Hmm, good point. I completely forgot about that aspect for them.
I'd toy with getting Fleury anyway, and then letting Vegas take him; auto-protection for the team you built (other than Shattenkirk, who was walking anyway, or can be resigned as UFA post rental), but there's probably more to the valuation for both teams that I don't know enough to get into.

Friedman:
6. Final note on St. Louis: A few executives were surprised the Blues did not “invent” an injury to Jake Allen rather than say he needed time off in the last couple of weeks to repair his confidence. I’m not in the business of ripping people for honesty. But a couple guys admitted they would have lied: “Harder to rebuild his confidence when you’re telling everyone he has to sit out because he’s lost it.”

No available stop gaps, and you don't want to ruin him further (even though he'll probably bounce back next season)...

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 03:15:55 PM »
Is it confirmed Rielly is out again?

He's a game time decision. Sounds like Ben Smith might be making his long-awaited return as well.

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 03:30:03 PM »
Is it confirmed Rielly is out again?

He's a game time decision. Sounds like Ben Smith might be making his long-awaited return as well.

Gauthier back to the AHL per Johnston.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 04:31:22 PM »
www.twitter.com/JeffVeillette/status/809808408027271168

So surprised that St. Louis hasn't just forfeited outright upon hearing this news.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 04:51:21 PM »
So surprised that St. Louis hasn't just forfeited outright upon hearing this news.

Yeah but the PK can really use him back. I mean they ONLY have the 2nd best GA/60 at 4v5 since his injury. Gotta get that up to 1st.

Offline McGarnagle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2017, 06:43:10 PM »

I was hoping that Gauthier would have made it a harder decision. He had a couple good games, but his skating isn't nhl caliber.

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs @ Blues - Feb. 2nd, 8:00pm - TSN4, Fan 590
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2017, 06:46:42 PM »
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/blues-gm-says-team-has-become-collection-of-independent-contractors/article33873548/?cmpid=rss1

St. Louis Blues general manager Doug Armstrong made a fascinating point about why his team is flailing away in the NHL’s Central Division this season. According to Armstrong, the Blues have lost all sense of team identity and have morphed into a collection of “independent contractors.”

Man, that's a brutal place to be. Everyone's kind of just doing their own thing, making sure they get some points, not go too hard/get injured. Kipper was saying if it gets to a point where guys have 'stopped buying what the coach is selling' and have tuned him out, then he's finished. One bad goal game would really deflate you as well. This parity league's hard enough on a night in/night out basis to get anything less than fair/decent goaltending.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:51:05 PM by disco »
"I'm here for (5) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline McGarnagle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2017, 07:04:55 PM »
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/blues-gm-says-team-has-become-collection-of-independent-contractors/article33873548/?cmpid=rss1

St. Louis Blues general manager Doug Armstrong made a fascinating point about why his team is flailing away in the NHL’s Central Division this season. According to Armstrong, the Blues have lost all sense of team identity and have morphed into a collection of “independent contractors.”

Man, that's a brutal place to be. Everyone's kind of just doing their own thing, making sure they get some points, not go too hard/get injured. Kipper was saying if it gets to a point where guys have 'stopped buying what the coach is selling' and have tuned him out, then he's finished. One bad goal game would really deflate you as well. This parity league's hard enough on a night in/night out basis to get anything less than fair/decent goaltending.

I guess I'm a little off on this, because when I look at the blues stats, they're far better than average in most stat categories, with the exception of goaltending. Doesn't look like a team that's tuned out the coach, or the system.

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2017, 07:52:30 PM »

I guess I'm a little off on this, because when I look at the blues stats, they're far better than average in most stat categories, with the exception of goaltending. Doesn't look like a team that's tuned out the coach, or the system.

So the goaltender who is/was mentally 'locked up', now gets to play with the added pressure of knowing it was (likely) his fault the coach got fired. Maybe he turns it around, but man, he can't be feeling great about himself.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos Drew Doughty John Tavares

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2017, 08:13:03 PM »
Hey Ben gets injured again then the Goat is back, better for a late rush to the playoffs with the Marlies perhaps.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2017, 08:17:15 PM »

Well, I guess one has to hear it from the freshly dismissed Ken Hitchcock and the players themselves. The GM Doug Armstrong and former player/gms Kypreos and MacLean have offered their analysis. Now they have Yeo and the same goalies. Hopefully they won't start turning it around tonight.
"I'm here for (5) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline azzurri63

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2017, 08:47:46 PM »
Lets hope for a 60 minute effort tonight. Tough call on this, hopefully we tighten up a bit but Matthews pots at least one tonight. Go Leafs lets get back in the win column and a good feeling going into a big game against Boston Saturday.

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2017, 08:55:51 PM »

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2017, 08:57:31 PM »

I was hoping that Gauthier would have made it a harder decision. He had a couple good games, but his skating isn't nhl caliber.

Yeah, I'm rooting for him but he may just not have the wheels for today's league.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2017, 08:57:31 PM »