Author Topic: 2017 Trade Deadline Watch  (Read 9545 times)

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
  • One with the Shanaplan!
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Trade Deadline Watch
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 03:13:56 PM »

Well no because like I said I don't think teams should think in binary terms. There is no good reason, regardless of where the Leafs are in the standings, to not take advantage of the opportunities that expiring contracts present or to seriously flirt with losing JVR for nothing in a year.

So along those lines, even if the Leafs win their next 7 games or whatever if you still are of the opinion that trading Hunwick or Polak would seriously damage what they're capable of accomplishing I'd say you're effectively making the argument that the Leafs aren't good enough to be thinking short term.

I gather that's because you're against the idea, in general of ever having to lose a player (via UFA) without getting some sort of asset back in return.

Problem is, Polak/Hunwick, even JVR aren't rebuilding pieces.  They're pieces for bubble/contending teams to improve either D depth or scoring help up front short term.  Just as they can help the Leafs with their playoff campaign.

Plus, we're already the youngest team in the NHL. How much younger do you want this team, this season to get?

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2017, 03:26:03 PM »
I gather that's because you're against the idea, in general of ever having to lose a player (via UFA) without getting some sort of asset back in return.

In general, sure. If you can get a 2nd round pick for someone I think you should, if you can get what JVR would fetch and choose not to you should be locked up.

Problem is, Polak/Hunwick, even JVR aren't rebuilding pieces.  They're pieces for bubble/contending teams to improve either D depth or scoring help up front short term.  Just as they can help the Leafs with their playoff campaign.

I don't see why that constitutes a problem. They're valuable pieces, they won't be here long-term...turn 'em into something.

Plus, we're already the youngest team in the NHL. How much younger do you want this team, this season to get?

That doesn't really play into it for me. Like Busta said, you can pick up guys as old as JVR or Hunlak or even older on the cheap to fill out the roster and still add the assets they'd fetch.

I'd like to see Leipsic called up in the second half but that's not a question of making the team younger, it's because I think he's earned it and would make the team better.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2017, 03:43:53 PM »
Nik, are you a descendant of Sisyphus?

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2017, 03:48:34 PM »
Nik, are you a descendant of Sisyphus?

In my better days I like to think Prometheus. This is just the liver-eating part of the story.
-Mark Twain

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2017, 03:56:01 PM »
In my better days I like to think Prometheus. This is just the liver-eating part of the story.

I hear that thing grows back.

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
  • One with the Shanaplan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2017, 04:04:12 PM »

In general, sure. If you can get a 2nd round pick for someone I think you should, if you can get what JVR would fetch and choose not to you should be locked up.

So what in your mind does JVR fetch?

I don't see why that constitutes a problem. They're valuable pieces, they won't be here long-term...turn 'em into something.

In an ideal world yeah, agreed.

That doesn't really play into it for me. Like Busta said, you can pick up guys as old as JVR or Hunlak or even older on the cheap to fill out the roster and still add the assets they'd fetch.

I'd like to see Leipsic called up in the second half but that's not a question of making the team younger, it's because I think he's earned it and would make the team better.

Possibly, but I'd like to see him and Kap lead the Marlies to at least a winning record before we're ready to say they are definite upgrades over any of our current top nine wingers.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2017, 04:18:55 PM »
So what in your mind does JVR fetch?

If you go the prospects/picks route? My guess is at least a 1st and a legitimately first rate prospect. Herman floated the Sanheim/Philly's 1st idea and I think that's about right.

Possibly, but I'd like to see him and Kap lead the Marlies to at least a winning record before we're ready to say they are definite upgrades over any of our current top nine wingers.

A) I don't necessarily see the Marlies record as something Kapanen/Leipsic have to answer for. The Marlies aren't very good, that's not on them.

B) Again, in my ideal world they're dealing JVR so there's a spot open.
-Mark Twain

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2017, 08:21:54 PM »
I can't take credit for the Sanheim/1st idea. I merely posted the link.

But that's kind of the package I prefer in light of a dearth of 1/2 RD loose enough to move.

We might need to take back some salary in a JvR-deal, as playoff pushers are generally pretty tight against the cap. Usually they sell off other picks to clear space for themselves, but I think we're actually in good position to pick up short-term dump$ for future assets to plug some of the bench holes that'll open up.

C'mon Vancouver... a couple more lucky OT wins for a deeper false sense of security...

Offline sneakyray

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2017, 10:45:01 AM »
I am hoping for a C upgrade to bozak.  I am wondering if Duchene is prohibitively expensive maybe nugent-hopkins could be had?  Bozak and one of polak/hunwick/corrado plus maybe some lesser prospects picks...and maybe the leafs could retain a little on bozak?

I'm not sure but i like the idea of marner feeding nugent-hopkins and nylander with one of matthews or kadri.

I also don't mind the idea of nylander taking over at C after the deadline if they can't get a C back but I'm not sure who marner would play with in that case.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2017, 01:01:27 PM »
Personally I think Nylander is going to be a better winger than Centre. I could be wrong on this.
Perhaps as he put some man's muscle on this frame as he grows.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2017, 02:07:26 PM »
I am hoping for a C upgrade to bozak.  I am wondering if Duchene is prohibitively expensive maybe nugent-hopkins could be had?  Bozak and one of polak/hunwick/corrado plus maybe some lesser prospects picks...and maybe the leafs could retain a little on bozak?

If you were the Oilers - even with their questionable management group - would you make that deal?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2017, 06:47:56 PM »

If you were the Oilers - even with their questionable management group - would you make that deal?

I think Bozak, Corrado and Laich would be good value for RNH. Make the call!!
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares

Offline sneakyray

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2017, 08:46:58 AM »

yeah, I mean, looking at this a day later it doesnt look as good as I thought.  In defense my thought was that bozak is probably an upgrade right now for the oilers as a #3 C and hes cheaper and signed for shorter.  I guess it just depends on how much they have soured on nuge and what they think of both bozak and polak as players in regards to their needs.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2017, 09:46:03 AM »

yeah, I mean, looking at this a day later it doesnt look as good as I thought.  In defense my thought was that bozak is probably an upgrade right now for the oilers as a #3 C and hes cheaper and signed for shorter.  I guess it just depends on how much they have soured on nuge and what they think of both bozak and polak as players in regards to their needs.

The other problem is that deals don't happen in a vacuum.  What the Leafs would be offering would have to be better than what 28 other teams would be offering, if they were in on the deal. 
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

Offline sneakyray

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2017, 10:20:48 AM »

The other problem is that deals don't happen in a vacuum.  What the Leafs would be offering would have to be better than what 28 other teams would be offering, if they were in on the deal.

but how many of those 28 teams can take on that kind of salary...so maybe not 28 teams but I get your point.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2017, 10:20:48 AM »