Author Topic: 2017 Trade Deadline Watch  (Read 9502 times)

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
  • One with the Shanaplan!
    • View Profile
2017 Trade Deadline Watch
« on: January 18, 2017, 09:33:30 AM »
Avs Fire Sale!

Rebuild kickoff for the Islanders! Snow Could Melt on the Hot Seat!

Rookie GM Chayka Wants to Make a Splash in the Desert!

Duck Hunting for D!

Can the Leafs solidify their top 4 and get that needed RHD?

THE 2017 TRADE DEADLINE WATCH IS UPON US!

Offline Bates

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Trade Deadline Watch
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 09:55:47 AM »
Add Stone from AZ for a pick.  He has not rebounded perfectly from an injury last year and we would have a couple months to evaluate whether he is worth trying to keep next year.  He looked good a top 4 D last season before injury. Low risk audition.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 09:58:58 AM »
I think an interesting prospect is that if you can trade JVR for the type of young RHD they're looking for you can then trade Polak to maybe make up for some of the prospect/picks(albeit not to the same extent) you could have got simply by selling off JVR.

That's not exactly how I'd play it, I still think JVR should be moved for picks/prospects but if you swap Bozak too I think the Leafs could probably accomplish both a shifting of the line-up for this year without necessarily making it worse while also adding pieces needed to rebuild the prospect base.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Mr. Leaf

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 10:00:53 AM »
For the first time in a long time, I'm not expecting the Leafs to be very busy on deadline day.  They don't have the usual glut of veterans to unload, and they aren't exactly in buy mode either.

Offline digdug

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 10:31:05 AM »
For the first time in a long time, I'm not expecting the Leafs to be very busy on deadline day.  They don't have the usual glut of veterans to unload, and they aren't exactly in buy mode either.

This

I basically expect the Leafs to go with what they have.

No trade deadline deals at all.

But of course I could be wrong  :)

Offline Can8899

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 10:42:57 AM »

This

I basically expect the Leafs to go with what they have.

No trade deadline deals at all.

But of course I could be wrong  :)

Any interest in Michalek or Laich across the league do you think?  Or has that ship sailed?

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 10:46:20 AM »
I don't see the Leafs making many moves, but I don't see them shying away from something that gives them an opportunity to shore up the top 4, either.

I remember when Nonis stood pat...

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 11:07:47 AM »

Admittedly it's still 6 or so weeks out and a lot can change in the standings between now and then but I think it'd be a real mistake by the Leafs to not make some hay out of Polak/Hunwick while they can, especially when they have internal options to replace them.
-Mark Twain

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 11:20:35 AM »
I guess my thinking on Hunlak ATM is that they're more valuable to the team right now, than the draft picks they'd return as rentals.

If they go, I can see a package along with 1 of Bozak or JVR and maybe a pick/prospect to shore up the current team's D.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 11:49:37 AM »
I guess my thinking on Hunlak ATM is that they're more valuable to the team right now, than the draft picks they'd return as rentals.

Wanting to keep JVR in lieu of a trade can be rationalized, I guess, but not wanting to trade Polak or Hunwick for picks because they're too valuable to this team for this season? I really don't get it.

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 11:57:37 AM »

Wanting to keep JVR in lieu of a trade can be rationalized, I guess, but not wanting to trade Polak or Hunwick for picks because they're too valuable to this team for this season? I really don't get it.

Do you see either going for a 2nd rounder on their own?  Right now this is a playoff team and Polak and Hunwick are a part of the chemistry that makes them so. That's more valuable than a 3rd to 5th rounder.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 11:58:44 AM »

Admittedly it's still 6 or so weeks out and a lot can change in the standings between now and then but I think it'd be a real mistake by the Leafs to not make some hay out of Polak/Hunwick while they can, especially when they have internal options to replace them.

If Rielly's out for awhile and Hunwick looks even half-decent it could go a long way to making him a somewhat valuable chip.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 12:00:21 PM »
Do you see either going for a 2nd rounder on their own? 

For the record, yes. Both of them. Polak got two 2nd's a year ago and it's not like he's massively fallen off.
-Mark Twain

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 12:06:21 PM »
Do you see either going for a 2nd rounder on their own? 

For the record, yes. Both of them. Polak got two 2nd's a year ago and it's not like he's massively fallen off.

And even if a 3rd is the best they can get, I don' t see how they could possibly not make that deal.

Offline Big Daddy

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 12:17:05 PM »
I'm hoping Shanahan calls "desperate to win now"  Florida and steals Ekblad away from them.  Would have never believed there to be a chance until Weber and Subban got traded.  So what would that take
Bozak Kapanen Nielson and our 1st 2017.  I would do it

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 12:17:05 PM »