Author Topic: Sparks Suspended  (Read 3236 times)

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Sparks Suspended
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 10:16:08 AM »
So the little girl comment was worse than the beat you to a pulp comment?

From my perspective, asking Sparks to apologize for the sexist remarks would have been sufficient- just like Reilly last year.  Threatening to hurt someone online is what put this over the top IMO and it isn't being discussed as much as I'd expect.  I think it was worse than the sexist comments, if only by a little.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2016, 10:49:13 AM »
didnt hear about a sexist comment, not right at all. 
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 10:51:15 AM »
I think Sparks's comment would have been fine if he had just told the guy to stop acting like a 13 year old.  Because the original poster was acting childish and immature with his comments.  Leave the "girl" part out and it's fine.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 10:59:22 AM »
I think Sparks's comment would have been fine if he had just told the guy to stop acting like a 13 year old.  Because the original poster was acting childish and immature with his comments.  Leave the "girl" part out and it's fine.

I don't think threatening to beat the person into a pulp is "fine". 

Online Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 11:13:57 AM »

Whatever, if the guy was making disparaging remarks about disabled people as the reports indicate,  I have no issue with Sparks playing internet tough guy on him.   

Offline TML fan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2016, 11:16:52 AM »
This is brand protection for the Leafs. They know he'll win his grievance hearing and get all his money back, but it makes the Leafs look like the good guys.

Online Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2016, 11:19:19 AM »
This is brand protection for the Leafs. They know he'll win his grievance hearing and get all his money back, but it makes the Leafs look like the good guys.

Exactly, the new world is to ignore idiots online, don't say anything that will put you in a bad light.  The fact that Sparks confronted the guy online shows that he actually has a heart and doesn't stand for people like that, he just has to realize there are consequences from your employer when you post things the way he did. 

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2016, 11:32:15 AM »

Whatever, if the guy was making disparaging remarks about disabled people as the reports indicate,  I have no issue with Sparks playing internet tough guy on him.

Just to clarify, I *personally* like that Sparks threatened the puke and stood up for the physically-challenged person.  However, it wasn't fine from the perspective of representing an NHL/AHL organization. 

Offline sneakyray

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2016, 08:11:53 AM »
if he was an administrator for this group couldn't he just have banned the person and put out a message that this kind of behaviour is not tolerated?

Offline louisstamos

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Treestar
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2016, 09:38:42 AM »
if he was an administrator for this group couldn't he just have banned the person and put out a message that this kind of behaviour is not tolerated?

That's probably exactly what the Leafs' argument is.

Offline sneakyray

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2016, 10:04:48 AM »

That's probably exactly what the Leafs' argument is.

my point is the argument as to whats worse the threat or the sexist comment...the whole thing shouldn't have happened

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 11:54:37 AM »
Is Sparks getting any playing time at all. Have they given up on him?
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2017, 12:38:56 PM »

A quick Google shows his first game back from the suspension was Dec 3.
He had played 4 games up until the incident (3-1), and has played 6 games since (5-5). Based on Lou's interview about Bibeau, it sounds like Sparks is on a slightly later track than Bibeau.

Depth chart order would be something like:
Andersen
McElhinney - no future
Bibeau
Sparks
Kaskisuo
Woll

Online Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2017, 01:01:19 PM »

A quick Google shows his first game back from the suspension was Dec 3.
He had played 4 games up until the incident (3-1), and has played 6 games since (5-5). Based on Lou's interview about Bibeau, it sounds like Sparks is on a slightly later track than Bibeau.

Depth chart order would be something like:
Andersen
McElhinney - no future
Bibeau
Sparks
Kaskisuo
Woll

I forgot about Kaskisuo, I remember reading some stuff about him that he was realistically 3-4 years away if he makes it at all.  I guess by that time Leafs will also have a better read on Woll, given that he'll be 22-23.  Lines up with the end of Andersen's contract, so hopefully somebody emerges as a future goaltender.

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2017, 01:16:30 PM »
Sparks was the teams best player last night.

Pitched a shutout recently too.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2017, 01:16:30 PM »