Author Topic: Frederik Andersen  (Read 9155 times)

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
Re: Frederik Andersen
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2017, 10:48:29 AM »
Ok maybe only in superlative comparison type ways ;D
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2017, 11:03:05 AM »
Ok maybe only in superlative comparison type ways ;D

Andersen doesn't suck, unlike Toskala!

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2017, 06:14:43 AM »
http://ingoalmag.com/news/the-new-aesthetics-of-goaltending-vol-2/

Some very interesting off-season reading material about the evolution of the goalie pad.

Online disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2017, 08:31:21 PM »
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2017, 08:37:38 AM »
I hope he's ready to go for October this time around.  Leafs need a stronger start from Freddy.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2017, 10:05:40 AM »
I hope he's ready to go for October this time around.  Leafs need a stronger start from Freddy.

He started the season nursing an injury he sustained in a pre-World Cup game.  He also "overplayed" things alot, trying to challenge the shooter much more than he was used to because Babcock likes his goalies to do that.  Once they realized he's more effective staying deeper in his crease and he adjusted he was fine.  Hopefully the former doesn't happen again and the latter is now resolved.

Online disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2017, 06:02:12 PM »
Second in the League in TOI and total shots. Still finished with a .918 SV%.
#SteadyFreddie #Workhorse
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 06:22:37 PM by disco »
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2017, 06:07:19 PM »

He started the season nursing an injury he sustained in a pre-World Cup game.  He also "overplayed" things alot, trying to challenge the shooter much more than he was used to because Babcock likes his goalies to do that.  Once they realized he's more effective staying deeper in his crease and he adjusted he was fine.  Hopefully the former doesn't happen again and the latter is now resolved.

You think Babcock was asking a goalie to play differently than what makes them successful? I highly doubt it.

Online disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2017, 06:08:51 PM »

You think Babcock was asking a goalie to play differently than what makes them successful? I highly doubt it.

It's on record. Look it up.

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2017, 06:27:11 PM »

It's on record. Look it up.

This?

In late October, when asked whether the coaching staff had influenced Andersens radical style change, head coach Mike Babcock denied it: Hes obviously had a way hes done things and its important, until we get to know him, that we dont change anything. At the same press conference, Andersen himself refused to comment on the issue, stating simply, I dont want to go too much into that.

which was then followed by this:

Looking at the historical evidence, however, we see that Babcock has a history of asking his goaltenders to play at a more aggressive depth within his system. In 2011, Jimmy Howard discussed Babcocks depth preferences in an interview with InGoal: Ive got a great defensive crew with me and I know they are going to take care of that backdoor. Coach [Mike] Babcock stresses that, so you know the goalie has the shooter and you pick up everything backdoor, and that allows not only myself but also Chris [Osgood] to be more aggressive.

I'm sorry, I've coached goalies for 20 years. I've been a goalie my whole life. There's a difference between being aggressive and playing 6 feet out of your crease as Andersen was at the start of the season last season. So, Jimmy Howard saying that it allows him to be more aggressive doesn't mean to charge the shooter.

Did Andersen play differently than his previous seasons? Sure. He was also trying to impress on a very critical market that had lacked a #1 goalie for a few years. It is the NORM for a goalie coach/hockey coach to have the mentality that the goalie takes the shooter and the defense takes away the pass. That's not a new thought process. That isn't Babcock asking a goalie to do something different. That's how goalies have been taught for a very long time. Goalies play the shot, defense plays the pass.

Online disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2017, 10:00:51 PM »
35+ shots, two goals. Picking up where he left off.

Online disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2017, 10:20:03 PM »
The big dane was dirty tonight.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2017, 10:27:32 PM »
Amazing when you start a year with a goalie that's on his game. Leafs threw away points early last year cause Andersen wasn't ready

Offline TML fan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2017, 02:07:31 AM »
I hope he can make XX saves every night

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2017, 09:07:09 AM »
The big dane was dirty tonight.