Author Topic: Auston Matthews  (Read 57345 times)

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Auston Matthews
« Reply #870 on: October 15, 2018, 08:56:33 PM »
Been thinking some more. Americans love to wave their flags, and Matthews would get US sponsorship regardless of the fact he's in Toronto. He plays for the US in the Olympics and they do well? He'll get huge US sponsorship deals, more so than just playing for some random US team

Offline Bates

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: October 15, 2018, 09:03:57 PM »
No way they endorse the Toronto guy like they would the Captain of the New York Rangers.  Do you think any Raptor has done as well off the court as a similar skilled Knick or Laker? I would highly doubt it.
Been thinking some more. Americans love to wave their flags, and Matthews would get US sponsorship regardless of the fact he's in Toronto. He plays for the US in the Olympics and they do well? He'll get huge US sponsorship deals, more so than just playing for some random US team

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: October 15, 2018, 09:14:55 PM »
No way they endorse the Toronto guy like they would the Captain of the New York Rangers.  Do you think any Raptor has done as well off the court as a similar skilled Knick or Laker? I would highly doubt it.
Yeah I gave you New York, but Matthews in St Louis? Colorado? Arizona?  Toronto is more marketable than those places

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: October 15, 2018, 09:17:28 PM »
Who's a bigger American star right now, Matthews or Eichel?

Offline Bates

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: October 15, 2018, 09:20:52 PM »
Sorry I missed you giving me N.Y.??  I was thinking like N.Y., LA, Chi, maybe Boston, Vegas, Seattle in regards to hockey. I just don't see places like St. Louis as one that would matter.  To me Toronto would come in the top 5 or 6.
Yeah I gave you New York, but Matthews in St Louis? Colorado? Arizona?  Toronto is more marketable than those places

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: October 15, 2018, 09:26:45 PM »
Sorry I missed you giving me N.Y.??  I was thinking like N.Y., LA, Chi, maybe Boston, Vegas, Seattle in regards to hockey. I just don't see places like St. Louis as one that would matter.  To me Toronto would come in the top 5 or 6.
But you're assuming American companies are lining up to give hockey players huge endorsement deals. Hockey is a fringe sport in the US but huge in Canada (and other parts of the world like Europe). Sure if Matthews becomes an Olympic star for them they would jump on board, hell they all still know about the 1980 US hockey team. Outside of that?

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: October 15, 2018, 09:28:16 PM »

That's not really how these things work. Guys build national profiles. The local market is largely immaterial outside of things like getting on national TV. NBC will always choose to air a game between two American markets because they care about US viewing numbera.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Guilt Trip

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: October 15, 2018, 11:06:58 PM »

That's not really how these things work. Guys build national profiles. The local market is largely immaterial outside of things like getting on national TV. NBC will always choose to air a game between two American markets because they care about US viewing numbera.
Wed., Oct. 24    Toronto    Winnipeg    NBCSN    7 p.m....not always

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: October 15, 2018, 11:50:04 PM »

Wed., Oct. 24    Toronto    Winnipeg    NBCSN    7 p.m....not always

Fair enough. When the only other option is a game as bad as the Islanders vs. Panthers and you have a high profile game like that he can get on American TV. I don't think they'll ever make that choice over two even medium strong US markets.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Guilt Trip

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: October 16, 2018, 12:36:11 AM »
Probably not but they are showing a few Leafs games this year. Edmonton to.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: October 16, 2018, 01:55:23 AM »
Simply Awesome-r...

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: October 16, 2018, 03:11:19 PM »
Dive, stick, lose stick, push, bum, chase with arms flailing.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 03:15:46 PM by disco »
"I'm here for (5) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline Guilt Trip

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: October 16, 2018, 03:29:49 PM »
Doughty was on for all goals against yesterday....just saying. He clearly couldn't handle Matthews.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: October 16, 2018, 03:48:58 PM »
Doughty was on for all goals against yesterday....just saying. He clearly couldn't handle Matthews.

To be fair, though, he IS a brassy quote machine.

Offline Guilt Trip

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: October 16, 2018, 05:24:43 PM »

To be fair, though, he IS a brassy quote machine.

Oh it wasn't a shot at him. I enjoy his quotes..Just stating the Leafs even made him look ordinary at times and he's pretty good at playing D.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #884 on: October 16, 2018, 05:24:43 PM »