Author Topic: Mitch Marner  (Read 19817 times)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: Mitch Marner
« Reply #255 on: October 26, 2017, 05:53:48 PM »

That is by far the strangest view I've ever seen on insurance policies.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 26, 2017, 06:01:18 PM »

Although, if you think about it, enforcers are a little bit like insurance policies. They don't actually prevent anything bad from happening and getting compensation when they do tends to be a more complicated process than advertised.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #257 on: October 26, 2017, 06:01:35 PM »

That is by far the strangest view I've ever seen on insurance policies.

I dunno. I'd rank it a close second behind Trump
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 26, 2017, 06:15:13 PM »
Martin is like an insurance policy, something you don't think you need until you actually do. Granted the league has changed, tough guys have to be able to actually play, and I think Martin is fine. He takes his man, he's not stupid with the puck (makes simple plays) and is not a liability defensively. When the going gets tough in playoff time, it will be very useful to have that insurance policy. Though it's no longer a fighting league, teams will still exploit talented players by hammering them if they think there is no one there to keep them in check, to be accountable to. With all the firepower the Leafs have, I think we can afford one spot for that kind of insurance. Plus when his sticks up for his teammates it has a positive reaction for the team up on the bench.

You just described the player we already had dedicated to this role who is even more effective: Komarov.

Online disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 26, 2017, 06:24:02 PM »
Martin is like an insurance policy, something you don't think you need until you actually do. Granted the league has changed, tough guys have to be able to actually play, and I think Martin is fine. He takes his man, he's not stupid with the puck (makes simple plays) and is not a liability defensively. When the going gets tough in playoff time, it will be very useful to have that insurance policy. Though it's no longer a fighting league, teams will still exploit talented players by hammering them if they think there is no one there to keep them in check, to be accountable to. With all the firepower the Leafs have, I think we can afford one spot for that kind of insurance. Plus when his sticks up for his teammates it has a positive reaction for the team up on the bench.

I agree, it's an extra layer of accountability for your opponents when you have superstars. Evidently Babcock sees the value in having that over the minor skill trade-off between a serviceable goon and different twelfth forward.
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 26, 2017, 06:49:26 PM »
Although, if you think about it, enforcers are a little bit like insurance policies. They don't actually prevent anything bad from happening and getting compensation when they do tends to be a more complicated process than advertised.

This is probably the most accurate representation of fighters as insurance I've ever seen.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 10, 2017, 10:15:26 PM »
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 11, 2017, 03:43:12 AM »

That's why he's Magical Mitch!

Offline sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 11, 2017, 12:31:51 PM »
The end of the game last night was pure gold.  It's the hockey equivalent of a walk off grand slam in the bottom of the ninth.  I really enjoyed it.  The best part was that Marner was so critical to the OT comeback win.  He'll figure it out, he is going to be an elite player in the NHL for a long time.  He has the right coaches and the right people around him to help him improve his defensive play.  Look at Kadri, he had way bigger goat horns a few years ago, and look at him now.  I know he was kept off the score sheet but he was wreaking havoc all night creating great chances, he almost scored multiple times.  Kadri is on pace for at least 35 goals this season.  He's kind of flying under the radar but he has been one of the Leafs' best players so far this season.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 02:37:44 PM by sickbeast »

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 11, 2017, 02:29:26 PM »
Agreed on Kadri. He was great last night and I think he'd actually get my vote as the Leaf MVP so far. He just does so much with and away from the puck, all the while playing against other teams' top lines and getting the majority of defensive zone starts. His contract is an absolute steal.

Online Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 17, 2017, 08:39:30 PM »
Quick question.  Would anybody here be upset if the Leafs traded Mitch Marner for Zach Werenski straight up?

Second quick questions.  In hindsight, should the Leafs have drafted Zach Werenski instead of Mitch Marner?
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 17, 2017, 09:13:55 PM »
Quick question.  Would anybody here be upset if the Leafs traded Mitch Marner for Zach Werenski straight up?

Second quick questions.  In hindsight, should the Leafs have drafted Zach Werenski instead of Mitch Marner?

If Arizona picked Marner, the Leafs were ready to trade down and pick up either Provorov or Werenski +. Marner can be a game breaker though, so Id think about a one-for-one, but only if Bracco/Johnsson hit 85+% of Marner (which they arent likely to).

Online Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 17, 2017, 09:41:23 PM »

If Arizona picked Marner, the Leafs were ready to trade down and pick up either Provorov or Werenski +. Marner can be a game breaker though, so Id think about a one-for-one, but only if Bracco/Johnsson hit 85+% of Marner (which they arent likely to).

Yeah, I'm advocate of keeping Marner.  I think that having game breakers like him and Nylander help the Leafs win games.  As we saw last night, having that element gives them an edge.  Werenski scored tonight, so I just started looking at his stats.  I found it interesting that the too have played the exact same number of games.  Werenski is 16 points behind Marner for career points at this time.  I can't help but wonder thought what the Leafs would look like with someone like Werenski on the back end.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 17, 2017, 11:22:22 PM »
Yeah, I'm advocate of keeping Marner.  I think that having game breakers like him and Nylander help the Leafs win games.  As we saw last night, having that element gives them an edge.  Werenski scored tonight, so I just started looking at his stats.  I found it interesting that the too have played the exact same number of games.  Werenski is 16 points behind Marner for career points at this time.  I can't help but wonder thought what the Leafs would look like with someone like Werenski on the back end.

A player like Marner helps drive a whole line. We saw last year how good the team could be when 3 full threats could be rolled out. And we saw last year and early this year how much of a factor Marner was to his line's success. I value having multiple scoring lines more than another offensive LD.

Online disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 19, 2017, 05:31:59 PM »
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 05:34:40 PM by disco »

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #269 on: November 19, 2017, 05:31:59 PM »