Author Topic: William Nylander  (Read 27176 times)

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: William Nylander
« Reply #405 on: December 07, 2017, 10:07:13 AM »

If you asked Nylander about this shot, it'd be something to the effect of, "I don't know, I just waited for him to make a move, I guess."

Online Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 07, 2017, 01:05:03 PM »
That goal was a thing of beauty.  Leafs had to ship Mike Smith's jock out to Montreal tonight in time for the game.

Offline slapshot

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 15, 2017, 09:58:02 AM »
Damien Cox had an article today on Willie and Mitch's off years leaving money on the table, though Marner is still a year away from a new deal. I expect Nylander to come in at $6 million, comparable Nic Ehlers, drafted one spot below him but has played 50 more games. Marner will probably come in around the same. Matthews gets at least 10. The way he started the years, he could have been looking at McDavid type money. There is still a ways to go for him and he might get there yet. But around $22 million for the 3 of them would be decent, considering Kane-Toews, McDavid-Draisaitl, are a combined $20 each.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 19, 2017, 12:39:08 PM »
Babcock on why he likes Willy off to the side, until he plays hard enough

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 19, 2017, 01:03:20 PM »
Babcock on why he likes Willy off to the side, until he plays hard enough
Perhaps there is a method to his madness!
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 27, 2018, 09:18:07 PM »
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 28, 2018, 02:30:29 PM »

https://theathletic.com/256279/2018/02/28/so-much-about-william-nylander-remains-a-mystery/

We shouldn't take it as a slight to Nylander when Babcock doesn't immediately heap praise on him. I think Willy thrives on challenge and being reminded he's not good enough yet. If he backchecked and drove the net every time like he was trying to making up for a mistake, the other teams would cry.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 28, 2018, 03:26:15 PM »
That is totally sick, what a play.  In the Yotes game he undressed OEL who was across the blue line, takes the stolen puck swoops in on the goalie and goes to the backhand to bury it. Great happened right in front of us.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline BrownRolo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 28, 2018, 09:48:35 PM »
So what's with all the articles about Nylander's "potential" and he needs to stay "competitive"? The Athletic, Sportsnet and TSN all have articles that came out today with a similar premise.

Do all the writers just copy from each other? One puts an article out and they all jump on the same idea?

Or is this a Leafs top-down thing? Did someone in the Leafs organization tell everyone to put stuff like this out? Because I haven't seen a problem with Nylander's compete level in a long time.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 28, 2018, 10:43:55 PM »
So what's with all the articles about Nylander's "potential" and he needs to stay "competitive"? The Athletic, Sportsnet and TSN all have articles that came out today with a similar premise.

Do all the writers just copy from each other? One puts an article out and they all jump on the same idea?

Or is this a Leafs top-down thing? Did someone in the Leafs organization tell everyone to put stuff like this out? Because I haven't seen a problem with Nylander's compete level in a long time.

It's due to him putting on a highlight reel play of effort and then Babcock's comments after were slightly damning with faint praise.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 29, 2018, 10:44:26 PM »
I see on the tsn website they have a video of Dreger saying that Marner has established himself at a level above Nylander.  I can't get the video to work, but on the face of it I'd say that's very premature.  Marner's been fantastic lately, but I'd say Nylander's been the most consistent forward all year ... well, at least as consistent as Matthews.

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 30, 2018, 12:25:26 PM »
I see on the tsn website they have a video of Dreger saying that Marner has established himself at a level above Nylander.  I can't get the video to work, but on the face of it I'd say that's very premature.  Marner's been fantastic lately, but I'd say Nylander's been the most consistent forward all year ... well, at least as consistent as Matthews.

What are you talking about? Mitch has two bad months but plays at 1.2ppg pace and Nylander is the better/more consistent player? Does not compute. In fact I think Mitch has taken a step defensively while Willie still needs to get tougher on backchecking.

Both great players but I don't see how, for at least half the season, Mitch hasn't been the better player.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 30, 2018, 12:44:27 PM »

All of this Marner vs. Nylander stuff reminds me of how my parents used to fight like maniacs over who was their favourite child.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 30, 2018, 12:54:10 PM »

All of this Marner vs. Nylander stuff reminds me of how my parents used to fight like maniacs over who was their favourite child.

That story would be even more sad if you were an only child.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 30, 2018, 01:08:24 PM »

That story would be even more sad if you were an only child.

You'd think that but that would also mean I wouldn't have to deal with my siblings so...mixed bag.

Happy Passover everyone!
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #419 on: March 30, 2018, 01:08:24 PM »