Author Topic: Auston Matthews  (Read 44096 times)

BarMutt and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Auston Matthews
« Reply #315 on: February 26, 2017, 02:22:06 AM »

I think after seeing what Matthews has done this year there really ought to be a moratorium on people talking about the "pressure" of playing in this market and how intimidating it can be.

And -- more boldly -- that the Leafs aren't far off from where the Blackhawks were in 2007-08. The numbers are eerily similar. Our franchise center has out-produced Toews, our rookie star winger is on the same pace as Kane, our 26yo Kadri's likely to have a season very much like 26yo Patrick Sharp's, our complementary forwards are out producing theirs, Gardiner's already out-produced Keith (tho he's older, not as good... yeah defense is a problem... but Nylander too! We have a Nylander and they didn't have anything close!)

If the optimistic goal was to contend 2-3 years after bottoming out (drafting Matthews), so far, it looks like the Leafs have got the elite talent you've long lamented them not having or having a path to getting. The balance is off -- there's more at forward than on defense -- but, after seeing what the talent they've assembled has produced this year, there should be a moratorium on what a long slog of a rebuild this would be.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 26, 2017, 02:45:13 AM »
And -- more boldly -- that the Leafs aren't far off from where the Blackhawks were in 2007-08. The numbers are eerily similar. Our franchise center has out-produced Toews, our rookie star winger is on the same pace as Kane, our 26yo Kadri's likely to have a season very much like 26yo Patrick Sharp's, our complementary forwards are out producing theirs, Gardiner's already out-produced Keith (tho he's older, not as good... yeah defense is a problem... but Nylander too! We have a Nylander and they didn't have anything close!)

I don't know. They had a 22 year old former #4 pick who scored 12 points in 20 games that year. Willy has produced better than that, sure, but I think a 22 year old Andrew Ladd sort of counts as being within the same general vicinity.

That said they certainly seem to have that solid base of forwards down. No questions about it.

If the optimistic goal was to contend 2-3 years after bottoming out (drafting Matthews), so far, it looks like the Leafs have got the elite talent you've long lamented them not having or having a path to getting. The balance is off -- there's more at forward than on defense -- but, after seeing what the talent they've assembled has produced this year, there should be a moratorium on what a long slog of a rebuild this would be.

Absolutely. Gardiner turns into a Norris-type defenseman next year, they sign another end of year all-star team makin' defenseman in the off-season, Rielly or someone turns into Seabrook and they add a HOF winger in his prime and they are right there with them.

I'm pretty sure those changes, if you'll excuse the dip into golf terminology, are a gimme. Why even watch the shot go in?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 02:54:20 AM by Nik the Trik »
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 26, 2017, 09:33:31 AM »
Thank you Bertie  Buzzkill.

The forward comparison holds up. The defense not so much. In goal? Hmmm it's hard to say until we see The Dane really get battle tested.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 26, 2017, 11:47:29 AM »

I think after seeing what Matthews has done this year there really ought to be a moratorium on people talking about the "pressure" of playing in this market and how intimidating it can be.

Accept Matthews would be an exception to the rule.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 05:57:43 PM by RedLeaf »
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 26, 2017, 02:57:47 PM »
Absolutely. Gardiner turns into a Norris-type defenseman next year,

Well, I already said I had doubts there.

they sign another end of year all-star team makin' defenseman in the off-season,

Well, no All Star UFAs, but Shattenkirk is pretty close. Check.

Rielly or someone turns into Seabrook

Zaitsev, I was thinking? Check.

and they add a HOF winger in his prime

Woah woah woah. Slow down.

That was after the 2008-09 season. So, after our 20017-18 season.

But Tavares will play wing. Check.

and they are right there with them.

Well, I think we have a better goalie than Chicago did for their first Cup.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 26, 2017, 06:11:33 PM »
Absolutely. Gardiner turns into a Norris-type defenseman next year,

they sign another end of year all-star team makin' defenseman in the off-season,

Rielly or someone turns into Seabrook

and they add a HOF winger in his prime

Woah woah woah. Slow down.

and they are right there with them.

Agreed. People need to let go of the notion that this team, as it stands now, is still miles and miles away from contention. Thats old school thinking. The 'rebuild' was a great success. This squad is way better than anything we could have hoped to have 2 seasons ago. The year isn't 1970 or 1980 something. Harold Ballard isn't pulling the strings.

The Leafs have a deep and talented cupboard of players and prospects, the most (and best) I can remember in my 40+ years of following the club. With another year of nurturing the kids, and a few tweaks on defense, there is no reason to believe the Leafs can't become one of the top teams in the league.

There's optimism and there is reality. The Reality of the situation is this club is already very good, and promises to get even better, perhaps much better. So yeah... probable cup contender in a few years?

Check.

Edit: If they can add a Tavares and a Shattenkirk without giving up one of Reilly, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Matthews, Marner or Nylander, then all bets are off. I'd put that team as a top-3 favorite to win the stanley sweepstakes.  :o
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 06:24:52 PM by RedLeaf »
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 26, 2017, 06:36:35 PM »
B. Leipsic ($850,000)           A. Matthews ($925,000)     K. Kapanen ($863,333)
W. Nylander ($6,000,000)     J. Tavares ($7,250,000)     C. Brown ($2,750,000)
J. Leivo ($900,000)              N. Kadri ($4,500,000)        M. Marner ($894,167)
B. Boyle ($3,000,000)          F. Gauthier ($975,000)       S. Griffith ($1,000,000)
Z. Hyman ($1,250,000)        M. Martin ($2,500,000)

M. Rielly ($5,000,000)          K. Shattenkirk ($7,250,000)
J. Gardiner ($4,050,000)      N. Zaitsev ($4,500,000)
T. Dermott ($894,167)         C. Carrick ($2,000,000)
A. Marchenko ($925,000)

F. Andersen ($5,000,000)
A. Bibeau ($925,000)

BUYOUTS
M. Grabovski ($0)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 23
NHL Salary Cap: $80,000,000
Cap Hit: $65,401,667
Cap Space: $14,598,333
(plus Horton's LTIR till 2020-21)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 06:38:27 PM by mr grieves »

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 26, 2017, 06:42:55 PM »
Nice to see the numbers support the possibility.  ;D

Offline lamajama

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 26, 2017, 08:51:05 PM »
Until all the rooks need to be re-signed, then not so much.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 26, 2017, 09:10:13 PM »

Well, it's not like Keith played a major role or anything.

Shattenkirk is definitely a top 5 defenseman on the St. Louis Blues.

Regardless, I can't think of a single instance of a much hyped free agent who didn't end up signing with the Leafs. So check? More like check-mate!

See that? I was thinking Dermott. Two Seabrooks! Makes you wonder what they do when JD Greenway becomes their third!

If he's not going to take on the workload of playing centre I really think he shouldn't expect a crazy 7.25 cap hit. I think if he really wants to be a Leaf he should be happy with 5.25. We're going to need cap space to sign all these Seabrooks!

At which point I really think we should start talking about whether or not we wear a 5th cup ring on the thumb or we use both hands.
-Mark Twain

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 26, 2017, 09:22:45 PM »

Except I don't think there is a rule. Accept that. 
-Mark Twain

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 26, 2017, 09:34:42 PM »
At which point I really think we should start talking about whether or not we wear a 5th cup ring on the thumb or we use both hands.

Good. We're agreed. There's gonna be so much winning that we're gonna make the 76-79 Habs look like a bunch of losers.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 26, 2017, 09:42:11 PM »
Good. We're agreed. There's gonna be so much winning that we're gonna make the 76-79 Habs look like a bunch of losers.

You're thinking small. Think 1960's Boston Celtics, 1920's New York Yankees or the Mongol Hordes of 13th century.

The real question is whether or not the parade route will conflict with all of the city's massive, practical and on-budget subway expansions.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:48:11 PM by Nik the Trik »
-Mark Twain

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 26, 2017, 10:06:20 PM »

Except I don't think there is a rule. Accept that.

I'd ask that you accept my apologies for my grammar, except I don't care.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 27, 2017, 09:35:51 AM »
Right on pace for 40 goals, man I hope he reaches it.  He's already had a fantastic season but hitting 40 would be a huge mark, just not done very frequently by many players anymore let alone a 19 year old.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #329 on: February 27, 2017, 09:35:51 AM »