Author Topic: Auston Matthews  (Read 54686 times)

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Auston Matthews
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2016, 12:37:37 PM »
The kid in me is jealous watching this video. It would be a lot of fun to skate around a set on ice and trash it with slap shots.

There's something satisfyingly meta about Matthews two-handing the camera off its mount.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2016, 12:39:28 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKfB4K6eZyg[/youtube]

Shooting mechanics on a 'catch and release' shot.

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2016, 03:17:02 PM »
Matthews goal against Vancouver was a nice demonstration of this.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos Drew Doughty John Tavares

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2016, 04:22:22 PM »
Members of the media are all enamored by Laine's goal-scoring prowess... everyone worth their salt knows that an elite center has three times the opportunity to affect the 60-minute, two-way game than a winger does.

That's why Babs is quotes as saying "we're looking for Matthews to become a dominant center in this league."

GMs and coaches alike will pick Sid over Ovie and Toews over Kane every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 04:25:05 PM by disco »
"I'm here for (5) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2016, 06:29:18 PM »
Members of the media are all enamored by Laine's goal-scoring prowess... everyone worth their salt knows that an elite center has three times the opportunity to affect the 60-minute, two-way game than a winger does.

That's why Babs is quotes as saying "we're looking for Matthews to become a dominant center in this league."

GMs and coaches alike will pick Sid over Ovie and Toews over Kane every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Don't forget three times on Leap Year
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2016, 09:15:46 AM »
Invalid Tweet ID
Small sample size. Bars going north of the mid-line are better.

Translation: Matthews helps the team drive play in pretty much all areas of the game; Laine helps his team score a crap-ton of goals.

The light blue bar of goals, over longer samples, will generally follow the direction of the other bars.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2016, 01:32:20 PM »
Invalid Tweet ID

Translation: Matthews helps the team drive play in pretty much all areas of the game; Laine helps his team score a crap-ton of goals.

The light blue bar of goals, over longer samples, will generally follow the direction of the other bars.

Fancy stats aside, Laine is winning rookie of the year this season if he keeps going and nets over 40 goals.

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2016, 01:48:26 PM »
Invalid Tweet ID

Fancy stats aside, Laine is winning rookie of the year this season if he keeps going and nets over 40 goals.

I think that's the point, though. In all likelihood, both light blue/Actual Goals bars are going to move in the opposite direction as the season rolls on.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos Drew Doughty John Tavares

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2016, 04:04:06 PM »
Invalid Tweet ID

Gary Lawless doesn't believe in charts:

http://www.tsn.ca/laine-will-end-up-a-superior-player-to-matthews-1.626863
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2016, 04:48:24 PM »
Gary Lawless doesn't believe in charts:

http://www.tsn.ca/laine-will-end-up-a-superior-player-to-matthews-1.626863

Lawless prefers the Jets' choice AND is down on the Leafs? Well, I never . . .
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Gerald The Duck

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2016, 05:46:38 PM »

Offline azzurri63

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2016, 06:35:18 PM »
These guys make me laugh. Most of these guys shouldn't even have the jobs they have. So goal scoring is all that matters. 25 games into the season and Laine is better than Matthews because he has scored 6 more goals. Happy for the kid he's doing great but FFS let's give it some time. Laine has gone a few games with nothing, Auston had that drought. I haven't watched many Jet games but do watch the Leafs and when Auston wasn't scoring he was one of the better players on the ice. Was getting his chances and not much luck. Also Laine is playing with better line mates, a better team I think and Matthews is and has been playing with 2 rookies throughout the year. Matthews plays a lot more important position with more responsibility. Far as I'm concerned Auston is a more complete player. Laine is one dimensional I think. If goal scoring is the only thing that matters to determine a better player then right now Laine is the better player but goal scoring to me isn't the only thing that counts. Give it some time and let's see what happens. 25 games in and Laine is the best. But hey did you see the 2 passes he made on the weekend, and let's not forget the first meeting between the two. Hell the kid was non existent for 2 periods. Shut up Lawless. Homer I'm thinking.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 07:24:38 PM by azzurri63 »

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2016, 07:52:42 PM »

Yeah, Ovechkin won the Calder over Crosby though.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2016, 07:55:25 PM »

Yeah, Ovechkin won the Calder over Crosby though.
Yes this is because of his teeth, the judges were worried about Rabies if the big O lost that one.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2016, 08:37:25 PM »
So, here's a fun fact: Only 1 of the top 10 all-time point scorers, and only 8 of the top 50, won the Calder. If Laine wins it, good for him. It doesn't mean much going forward.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2016, 08:37:25 PM »