Author Topic: Auston Matthews  (Read 51654 times)

Online sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Auston Matthews
« Reply #780 on: February 24, 2018, 11:44:35 PM »
So they're saying Matthews has suffered a second degree shoulder separation.  He'll be out two to four weeks, and the Leafs won't rush him back.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/leafs-wont-rush-auston-matthews-back-lineup/

It's really too bad.  It will probably cost the Leafs home ice in the playoffs.  It's a great opportunity for Leivo though.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: February 25, 2018, 01:07:13 AM »
Grade II - A partial dislocation of the joint in which there may be some displacement that may not be obvious during a physical examination. The acromioclavicular ligament is completely torn, while the coracoclavicular ligaments remain intact.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: February 25, 2018, 01:15:35 AM »
Some information from Dr. Highlander,  as you can see he will probably will be out more than 4 weeks, more like 6, so step into Game 1 of the playoffs dude:

Like many other orthopedic injuries, A-C separations are categorized into three degrees of severity.  A first degree separation is merely a sprain without serious ligament damage.  The joint is tender and swollen, but there is no separation.  Treatment consists of ice applications and use of a sling for 3-7 days.  Athletics can later be resumed when the pain subsides, and full shoulder motion is restored.  Little rehabilitation is necessary, and the prognosis is excellent.

In the second degree separation, the injury is greater, and there is complete disruption of the ligaments which surround the A-C joint. However, the ligaments holding the collarbone to the shoulder blade are not torn, and consequently there is only minor displacement of the collarbone.  The A-C “bump” is more prominent, and the separation can be felt.  This injury is also treated with a sling, but immobilization is required for two to three weeks to allow the joint to heal.  During this period, gentle motion exercises are allowed to prevent shoulder stiffness.  Later, shoulder strengthening exercises are recommended.  The athlete can return to sports in four to six weeks if the pain has subsided, and if there is clinical evidence of healing.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: February 25, 2018, 01:20:03 AM »
After more reading on the subject Dr. Highlander thinks we are indeed very lucky those bad Islander outlaws didn't hit Mr.Powers even harder.  A Cat 3 injury would have meant surgery this ending Mr. Powers season and the dream of moving through round 1 over.
Looks like he will be back to help in round 1.
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: February 25, 2018, 11:34:52 AM »
While Matthews is injured it will cost the Leafs

in lost salary until he recovers.

Actually Gary Bettman reminds me of Dr. Evil.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: March 02, 2018, 02:52:23 AM »
The uniqueness of Auston:

They happen a couple of times a game. You can't mistake them. And they comes in several forms.

The between-the-legs deke off his skate.

The skate reception. Off of the outside edge? The inside edge? Take your pick.

The kick pass — to himself or a teammate.

Sometimes, he doesn't even need to use his skate to make the play. Any other player would use his stick to reach for a trailing pass or quickly touch a dead puck to his teammate.

But Auston Matthews isn't just any other player.

For the rest:

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: March 02, 2018, 10:23:51 AM »
I heard the Argo's need a new Punter
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: March 02, 2018, 10:29:48 AM »
I heard the Argo's need a new Punter

They need an Auston.  :D

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: March 09, 2018, 10:53:33 AM »

Just saying the Buffalo game will be my first Leafs game so ya know...

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: March 10, 2018, 04:13:33 PM »

I really like Auston Matthews and am very happy he is a Maple Leaf but, in retrospect, my pre-draft "Maybe we should seriously consider taking Laine" take was, in fact, smart and good.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: March 10, 2018, 04:32:37 PM »

I really like Auston Matthews and am very happy he is a Maple Leaf but, in retrospect, my pre-draft "Maybe we should seriously consider taking Laine" take was, in fact, smart and good.

And that my "I think Puljujarvi is a more complete player than Laine" was in fact sort of really off.

Edit: Actually, I still think Puljujarvi has more tools than Laine, but where Jesse is like a Swiss Army Knife, Patrik is a lightsabre.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 04:35:50 PM by herman »

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: March 25, 2018, 03:12:58 AM »
Awesomely Auston...

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #791 on: March 25, 2018, 03:12:58 AM »