Author Topic: Training Camp Thread - Now with 100% more Tavares  (Read 2866 times)

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Training Camp Thread - Now with 100% more Tavares
« Reply #105 on: Yesterday at 04:16:53 PM »
He's not outright awful, but he's certainly lost some of his lustre.

I think Friedman was super easy to respect and believe previously because a) it was legit information; b) it was doled out sparingly -- with his platform being much larger now, he has had to fill it more frequently, so the quality is suspect at the fringes; c) Sportsnet culture* seeped in at some point and the priority appears to have shifted towards entertainment more than journalism (insofar as any sports reporting is true journalism) on the part of his own opinions.

* Friedman talked about this on his podcast earlier on: guys like Glenn Healy, Doug Maclean are generally not morons (that's certainly not the term he used) but they play that role in the panel to generate conflict/interest in what is usually an inane discussion that is still too short to properly address the nuances. I think he's taken some of that on himself in how he positions his statements, knowing the 'I think' portion of his words will get cropped out.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Yesterday at 04:18:08 PM »
I don't really have any specific examples I often find that when Friedman tries to give his opinion on something as opposed to just reporting what he's hearing other people say, it's usually pretty bland/old-school thinking.

Spend enough time with people and you tend to absorb their views, especially if you respect them to any degree.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Yesterday at 04:23:35 PM »
Spend enough time with people and you tend to absorb their views, especially if you respect them to any degree.

I think it's especially true of media guys who want to be respected and not get the "you didn't play the game" from the hockey doofuses.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: Yesterday at 05:13:11 PM »
Mac Hollowell is back with the Leafs for now as Jake Gardiner appears to be out.

Baby Gardiner has arrived!

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Yesterday at 05:14:36 PM »
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/matthews-reveals-how-underhill-made-him-a-more-explosive-skater~1491841

A lot of people have noted that Matthews' skating has 'sploded.
I just hope Matthews is 100% healthy all season.

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Yesterday at 05:58:53 PM »
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/matthews-reveals-how-underhill-made-him-a-more-explosive-skater~1491841

A lot of people have noted that Matthews' skating has 'sploded.
I just hope Matthews is 100% healthy all season.

I hate that all tsn “articles” are now videos and they they wont play in the IS

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #110 on: Yesterday at 05:58:53 PM »