Author Topic: Should the Leafs grab Yakupov if he's Waived?  (Read 5195 times)

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
  • One with the Shanaplan!
    • View Profile
Should the Leafs grab Yakupov if he's Waived?
« on: October 03, 2016, 06:07:26 PM »
There's serious speculation in Edmonton that he's being played off the Oiler's roster at this season's camp.

If we can get him for free, I say snag him.

Offline Mr. Leaf

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Should the Leafs grab Yakupov if he's Waived?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 06:24:47 PM »
I'd be surprised if it actually happens, but if it does I'd say yes, without hesitation!

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 06:27:03 PM »

I don't really see the upside. Between Brown, Hyman and Sosh there are multiple young Leafs I'd rather see on the big club than Yakupov even if he came for free. He certainly wouldn't displace anyone in the top 6 and the idea that he can become an effective bottom 6 forward seems pretty far fetched.

I really think we'd need to keep in mind what it means to play yourself off the Oilers.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 06:32:07 PM »
Yeah I mean KHL is an obvious option for him. Not interested in grabbing a bust.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 06:33:23 PM »

I don't really see the upside. Between Brown, Hyman and Sosh there are multiple young Leafs I'd rather see on the big club than Yakupov even if he came for free. He certainly wouldn't displace anyone in the top 6 and the idea that he can become an effective bottom 6 forward seems pretty far fetched.

I really think we'd need to keep in mind what it means to play yourself off the Oilers.

Or he can be our version of how the Pens are using Kessel on the third line.  He's still a useful, experienced, productive NHL'er that is worth his cap hit, even if he is a 1st OA bust.

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 06:36:26 PM »
Yeah I mean KHL is an obvious option for him. Not interested in grabbing a bust.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

A 1st OA bust, isn't the same as an NHL bust.  Yak isn't an NHL bust.  He'd be claimed by another team undoubtedly if we passed over him.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 06:40:27 PM »
Not to hammer home the obvious but Phil Kessel is effective at producing on the 3rd line in Pittsburgh because he's a really, really good NHL player. Yakupov isn't. And Kessel did still get tons of PP time in Pittsburgh which is a resource I wouldn't use on Yakupov here.

Even still, that doesn't really address my larger point which is that if there's room on the team for a winger, the Leafs have young ones I'd rather see get the spot.
-Mark Twain

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 06:44:17 PM »

Or he can be our version of how the Pens are using Kessel on the third line.  He's still a useful, experienced, productive NHL'er that is worth his cap hit, even if he is a 1st OA bust.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. Kessel is a bonafide all-star player placed on the third line so that Pittsburgh would have bonafide all-stars on three different lines. How isusing a scorer that produces at a third-line level on the third line comparable?

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 06:51:31 PM »

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. Kessel is a bonafide all-star player placed on the third line so that Pittsburgh would have bonafide all-stars on three different lines. How isusing a scorer that produces at a third-line level on the third line comparable?

Okay, I'll use Kadri as a comparable, then.  Playing 'protected' 3rd and 4th line minutes in the shortened season by Carlyle.  How'd he do?

Skill players with that level of skill (which Yak does possess or he wouldn't have gone 1st OA) can wreak havoc on the NHL's weaker players.

Also, if he doesn't work out over a month or so, no big.  We're rebuilding, anyway.  We can waive him as well.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 07:02:42 PM »

Yakupov has been used in a sheltered role in Edmonton and has not done well. The Leafs will already have high profile young players that, ideally, they'll want to shelter at times.

Last year when the Leafs were throwing in the towel a good case could be made for risky reclamation projects. This year it should be about putting Matthews, Marner and Nylander in the best situations possible. I don't see how Yakupov fits into that.
-Mark Twain

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 07:10:02 PM »
You could see what Yak could do with Matthews or Kadri, Marner and Yak as 1 and 2 RW, Nylander in at #3C given is his preferred position, roll Bozak at 4C.  Yes it could bump a Laich or a Greening off the roster at forward.

Oh well.

Offline McGarnagle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 07:30:21 PM »
If there was a D-man equivalent to the yak situation that appeared on waivers, then sure, why not. But we're finally at an organizational stage where we can say no to these sort of gambles, at least up front. It'll be a challenge to get enough icetime for the emerging forward talent as it is.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 07:41:29 PM »
This is sort of what I mean by putting the Leafs' young guys in the best possible position to succeed. Leaving aside the pretty reasonable assumption that the coaching staff wanting to go with Nylander at RW is based on what they think is best for him Yakupov has, over the last few years, gotten a fair amount of ice time with a bunch of different C's from the good and talented(RNH/Draisaitl) to the less so(Gagner/Roy)

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1684&withagainst=true&season=2013-16&sit=5v5

In all of those cases the C's in question did better away from Yakupov than they did with him. Yakupov has effectively been an anchor on whatever line he's been on. As talented as we all think Matthews is, I think we still want to pair him with wingers that help him.
-Mark Twain

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 07:53:43 PM »
Yes.

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 08:16:30 PM »
This is sort of what I mean by putting the Leafs' young guys in the best possible position to succeed. Leaving aside the pretty reasonable assumption that the coaching staff wanting to go with Nylander at RW is based on what they think is best for him Yakupov has, over the last few years, gotten a fair amount of ice time with a bunch of different C's from the good and talented(RNH/Draisaitl) to the less so(Gagner/Roy)

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1684&withagainst=true&season=2013-16&sit=5v5

In all of those cases the C's in question did better away from Yakupov than they did with him. Yakupov has effectively been an anchor on whatever line he's been on. As talented as we all think Matthews is, I think we still want to pair him with wingers that help him.

Yakupov's GF60 went up by almost 2 when on the ice with Connor McDavid. They played well together.

Actually, Connor generally had better stats playing with Yakupov. 67% offensive zone time. I thought they'd pair them together this year. Maybe someone should show the Oilers these stats.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 08:21:50 PM by Dappleganger »

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 08:16:30 PM »