Author Topic: 2016-2017 NHL Thread  (Read 43277 times)

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
Re: 2016-2017 NHL Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 02:52:12 PM »
I picked up a ticket to the Leafs game at Madison Square Garden in January. Very excited about seeing the Leafs, obviously, but almost as excited about seeing an event in an iconic arena.

Has anyone been and is it a decent place to watch?
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 06:27:34 PM »
Clarke MacArthur's out with another concussion as he was drilled into the boards by some no-name sen during a training camp scrimmage:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/macarthur-leaves-ice-after-hit-by-sieloff~958977

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/macarthur-concussed-in-senators-camp-fight-breaks-out-video-175130772.html

Mac's of course had a history with concussions, but seemed to have come into camp this year healthy. Absolutely brutal, I always really liked Mac.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 10:03:15 AM »
Edmonton's new mascot, Hunter:

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 12:33:42 PM »

I totally get the Oilers/Lynx association. Well played, Edmonton, well played!
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
2016-2017 NHL Thread
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2016, 02:50:17 PM »

Artemi Panerin is apparently looking for big money after his big year:

Panerin wants 6m per season on new deal

Something to keep in mind re: guys like Zaitsev. The NHL has done a good job via the restrictive RFA rules to convince young guys they don't deserve open market prices. Guys from the KHL might buy into that a little less.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2016, 03:04:51 PM »
Honestly asking for $6mil doesn't seem that outlandish. Yes he had Kane on his side, but 77 points in 80 games is still 77 points in 80 games. None of those other post-ELC $6mil-ish players that signed recently had numbers like that. I understand if the Hawks are apprehensive to dish out that kind of money after 1 season, but that number will only go up if his stats this season are even remotely close to last years.

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2016, 03:06:57 PM »

Artemi Panerin is apparently looking for big money after his big year:

Panerin wants 6m per season on new deal

Something to keep in mind re: guys like Zaitsev. The NHL has done a good job via the restrictive RFA rules to convince young guys they don't deserve open market prices. Guys from the KHL might buy into that a little less.

I think you're probably right, at the same time, the financial climate in the KHL means that they are less of a competitor in terms of financial clout.

Although I did read over the summer that due to the tax rules a guy only needs to make 3.5 million a year in Russia to clear more than a NHL'er on a 6.5 million deal.  :-X

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2016, 03:08:32 PM »
I think you're probably right, at the same time, the financial climate in the KHL means that they are less of a competitor in terms of financial clout.

Although I did read over the summer that due to the tax rules a guy only needs to make 3.5 million a year in Russia to clear more than a NHL'er on a 6.5 million deal.  :-X

I didn't mean so much that the KHL was a competitor if they don't get what they want, just that the idea that you have to hit a certain age before you cash in might resonate less.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Rebel_1812

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2016, 07:33:00 PM »
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jacob-troubas-agent-says-client-requested-trade/
Kurt Overhardt, agent for unsigned Winnipeg defenceman Jacob Trouba, released a statement Friday indicating his client wants to be traded.

“Our client, Jacob Trouba, will not be attending the Winnipeg Jets NHL training camp. Since May, we have been working with the Jets management in an effort to facilitate a trade of Jacob’s rights. Both parties continue to work on this matter."

Danger zone!

The leafs should trade Gardner for Trouba.  That being said the Winnipeg GM has shown he is willing to wait years for the right deal with kane.  This doesn't look good for Trouba who wants this done before the season starts.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2016, 08:07:42 PM »
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jacob-troubas-agent-says-client-requested-trade/
Kurt Overhardt, agent for unsigned Winnipeg defenceman Jacob Trouba, released a statement Friday indicating his client wants to be traded.

“Our client, Jacob Trouba, will not be attending the Winnipeg Jets NHL training camp. Since May, we have been working with the Jets management in an effort to facilitate a trade of Jacob’s rights. Both parties continue to work on this matter."

Danger zone!

The leafs should trade Gardner for Trouba.  That being said the Winnipeg GM has shown he is willing to wait years for the right deal with kane.  This doesn't look good for Trouba who wants this done before the season starts.

The slight difference is that Trouba is without a contract at the moment. After December 1st, he won't be able to play this season, so this is a game of leverage chicken.

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2016, 10:09:33 AM »

Looks so much like a bad taxidermy job.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2016, 11:01:14 AM »

Looks so much like a bad taxidermy job.
Showed pic to my 2 and 5 year old's and the consensus is... he's scary.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 11:11:47 AM by cabber24 »
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2016, 04:03:06 PM »
Never change, Randy. Never change.

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2016, 04:35:39 PM »
Never change, Randy. Never change.
Lest we forget. Leafs were in a playoff position when he got fired. Followed by a Horachek 8-28 to end the season.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2016, 04:41:04 PM »
Lest we forget. Leafs were in a playoff position when he got fired. Followed by a Horachek 8-28 to end the season.

Horachek did his job #McEichstromarnifin

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2016, 04:41:04 PM »