Author Topic: Armchair GM 2016-2017  (Read 38072 times)

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair GM 2016-2017
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2016, 10:39:28 PM »
I don't think that Trouba has a high enough upside that you'd want to trade Nylander for him.

I doubt any sort of package where Dermott is the most valuable asset gets it done. This is where the Leafs not holding onto their late first round picks/reaching with their high seconds the last two years hurts them. They don't really have any of those A-/B+ sort of prospects outside of maybe Kapanen. If they had a Konecny or Gabriel Carlsson or someone like that it may be the basis of an offer

Kapanen and Dermott might not be too bad an offer for Winnipeg to chew on for Trouba.
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2016, 11:36:43 PM »
Kapanen and Dermott might not be too bad an offer for Winnipeg to chew on for Trouba.

Leaving aside whether or not that's fair strictly on a balancing the scales sense I think it's sort of a uniquely bad fit for the Jets. Dermott is at least a couple years away and the Jets have used their top pick in each of the last three years(#9, #17 and #2) on guys who figure to primarily be scoring wingers.

Remember that Winnipeg was a playoff team a year ago. I think it would be an abrupt change of course for them to be willing to trade a good, young NHL defenseman for guys who realistically don't help them for a few years at best.

There's an article on NHLnumbers about the possibility of the Leafs trading for Trouba(which makes the case that you'd probably need Marner or Nylander in the deal) that has this tweet:

And if you click on that Lawless' profile he seems to be pretty sure the Jets are looking for defensive help right now on the left side. Last year I floated the idea of Travis Hamonic being someone who might interest the Jets and I do think that's the kind of player you need to include in a trade like this. Let's keep in mind though that what happened with Drouin last year is pretty solid evidence that asking for a trade doesn't necessarily lead to one if the team doesn't get offers they like.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 11:40:45 PM by Nik the Trik »
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2016, 08:26:13 AM »
What an asinine request from the Jets. Same age, position and calibre? What team would make that trade? Another team in a similar position with that particular type of defensemen requesting a trade as well? Good luck Jets!
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2016, 09:19:10 AM »
Can someone elucidate me on the allure of Trouba?

Checks: young, RHD, Rielly-esque numbers
Nopes: looking mildly expensive, Rielly-esque numbers against lesser opponents

Is he worth the princely ransom the Jets have outlined?

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2016, 09:25:21 AM »
Can someone elucidate me on the allure of Trouba?

Checks: young, RHD, Rielly-esque numbers
Nopes: looking mildly expensive, Rielly-esque numbers against lesser opponents

Is he worth the princely ransom the Jets have outlined?

This article/tweet by Garret Hohl at JetsNation might be helpful: http://jetsnation.ca/2016/6/6/don-t-let-point-totals-fool-you-trouba-has-been-getting-better-and-better

Garret Hohl ‏@GarretHohl  16 hours ago
Stuart last 2yrs:
w/ Trouba: 51% Corsi, 45% Goals
w/o Trouba: 45% Corsi, 47% Goals
Trouba w/o: 55% Corsi, 63% Goals

Offline Britishbulldog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2016, 09:34:03 AM »
I was wondering if it was Gardiner that they would target as a LD who is on a reasonable $4 MIL contract.  Add a Kapanen and it might close the deal.

That leaves a hole on the Leafs LD so I would try to get Lindholm, another RFA holdout.  JVR would be the center piece.  A young dman like Corrado would be added as well as a 2nd prospect.

That would leave Rielly, Trouba and Lindholm as the dmen the Leafs protect in the Las Vegas expansion draft
All The Best
Dan

Offline sneakyray

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2016, 09:37:00 AM »
so gardiner for trouba?

Offline sneakyray

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2016, 09:38:52 AM »
I was wondering if it was Gardiner that they would target as a LD who is on a reasonable $4 MIL contract.  Add a Kapanen and it might close the deal.

That leaves a hole on the Leafs LD so I would try to get Lindholm, another RFA holdout.  JVR would be the center piece.  A young dman like Corrado would be added as well as a 2nd prospect.

That would leave Rielly, Trouba and Lindholm as the dmen the Leafs protect in the Las Vegas expansion draft

haha beat me to it...

Offline sneakyray

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2016, 09:40:20 AM »
I like the jvr for lindholm idea also but isn't anahem an internal cap team.

Is there a salary dump that toronto could take back in that deal?

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2016, 09:47:05 AM »
This article/tweet by Garret Hohl at JetsNation might be helpful: http://jetsnation.ca/2016/6/6/don-t-let-point-totals-fool-you-trouba-has-been-getting-better-and-better

Garret Hohl ‏@GarretHohl  16 hours ago
Stuart last 2yrs:
w/ Trouba: 51% Corsi, 45% Goals
w/o Trouba: 45% Corsi, 47% Goals
Trouba w/o: 55% Corsi, 63% Goals

Fantastic. Thanks, Carlton.

So he's already good despite his wonky deployment, and still very early in his development curve. > or < than Seth Jones?

I don't see a match with the Leafs in terms of trading partners, nor do I want the Leafs to traipse down the path of rushing things by forcing multiple moves to accommodate an opportunity that still qualifies as a gamble at this stage in our rebuild.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2016, 12:47:50 PM »
What an asinine request from the Jets. Same age, position and calibre? What team would make that trade? Another team in a similar position with that particular type of defensemen requesting a trade as well? Good luck Jets!

I'd imagine that the hopes would be from the Jets that they'd be able to find a team with a glut of LHD similar to how Winnipeg is stacked on the RHD and who would make a trade for the sake of balance. Philadelphia is a team who might fit that bill. They're not all NHL ready yet but they've got a bunch of young defensemen in Gostisbehere, Sanheim, Morin and Provorov who are all LHD.
-Mark Twain

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2016, 12:55:50 PM »
so gardiner for trouba?

The issue there being that Gardiner's 4 years older and only has three years left on his deal.

Still, I think that's at least in the ballpark of what we'd realistically be talking about. I think you'd have to be comfortable making that trade without assuming Anaheim wouldn't be facing the exact same issue with Lindholm though.

Which, again, is where it all gets a little sticky for me. Assuming you can't do a JVR for Lindholm deal(and if the Leafs could, I think that would largely be done already) is the D definitely better with Rielly-Trouba as the top pairing and something like Marincin-Zaitsev as the second pairing then they are with Rielly-? and Gardiner-? as your top 2 pairings? I don't know if that's clear cut, especially if it takes 5-6 million to sign Trouba.
-Mark Twain

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
  • One with the Shanaplan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2016, 01:24:37 PM »
They want a young LHD back for Trouba?  Fine.  If we're looking to shore up our top 4 with this deal, they ain't getting Gards.

We also need to clear cap to sign Trouba.

Ehlers and Laine, isn't exactly Ladd and Laine

JVR + Marincin for Trouba.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2016, 01:39:42 PM »
They want a young LHD back for Trouba?  Fine.  If we're looking to shore up our top 4 with this deal, they ain't getting Gards.
We also need to clear cap to sign Trouba.

Ehlers and Laine, isn't exactly Ladd and Laine

JVR + Marincin for Trouba.

I don't think they want just any LHD for Trouba. Certanly not a fairly limited bottom pairing guy. They want someone comparable.
-Mark Twain

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2016, 01:52:47 PM »

I don't think Anaheim is looking to move Lindholm, but that might get you Fowler, I wonder if there's any interest in some sort of Trouba for Fowler + deal.
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2016, 01:52:47 PM »