Author Topic: Armchair GM 2016-2017  (Read 38203 times)

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair GM 2016-2017
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 11:29:38 AM »
Did a quick go through GeneralFanager's expansion draft tool, and assuming every team protects 3 defencemen (some might opt to go the 8-skaters route instead of course), this is the pool of potential defenceman available:

Despres/Fowler/Stoner
Schenn
McQuaid/Miller
Pokka/TVR
Zadorov/Wiercioch
R. Murray/J. Johnson
M. Green/J. Eriksson
Fayne
Pysyk/Petrovic
Spurgeon/Scandella
Hickey/de Haan/Pulock
Klein
Cole/Pouliot/Dumoulin
Braun/Dillon
Coburn/Garrison
Orlov/Orpik
Enstrom/Stuart

I did that pretty quickly, in some cases it's an either/or pick per team or a team has to expose 2 of them.

That might be a big enough pool of decent-to-good NHL defencemen that Marincin or Carrick (whoever plays worse this season) goes unclaimed.

Thanks for that Carlton.  That's what I was thinking about...like is Marincin or Carrick really that enticing when compared to what will be exposed? 

Looking at that list, for example, I'm not so sure.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 11:42:15 AM »
Thanks for that Carlton.  That's what I was thinking about...like is Marincin or Carrick really that enticing when compared to what will be exposed? 

Looking at that list, for example, I'm not so sure.

I think that if Carrick were exposed (and had a relatively successful 16/17 season), he might stand out a little bit as a younger defenceman with an offensive upside higher than a lot of defencemen on that list. Being an ever-elusive right-handed shot probably would make him a little more enticing too.

After looking at that list though I'm not sure I'd be too worried about Marincin, unless Vegas has a stats guy they trust who really, really likes him.

edit: Then again, they have to pick SOMEBODY from the Leafs. So if the forward options aren't appealing (which they might not be) then they'd go with a defenceman by default.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 11:45:07 AM by CarltonTheBear »

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2016, 11:54:22 AM »
I think that as things stand right now, the Leafs will protect the following players: Kadri, JVR, Bozak, Komarov, Martin, Brown, Leipsic, Rielly, Gardiner, Carrick, Andersen

That would leave the following players exposed: Horton, Lupul, Holland, Rychel, Leivo, Marincin, Loov, Corrado. With the assumption that Lupul, Holland, and Marincin all meet the GP requirement.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2016, 12:05:14 PM »

edit: Then again, they have to pick SOMEBODY from the Leafs. So if the forward options aren't appealing (which they might not be) then they'd go with a defenceman by default.

OK, that I didn't know.  So that changes things for me...hmmm.

Offline jdh1

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2016, 12:58:35 PM »
I think that as things stand right now, the Leafs will protect the following players: Kadri, JVR, Bozak, Komarov, Martin, Brown, Leipsic, Rielly, Gardiner, Carrick, Andersen

That would leave the following players exposed: Horton, Lupul, Holland, Rychel, Leivo, Marincin, Loov, Corrado. With the assumption that Lupul, Holland, and Marincin all meet the GP requirement.
Here's hoping that Rychel develops this year and he would be protected.

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2016, 01:00:18 PM »

The only one I might miss if he continues to develop is Marincin.
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline Britishbulldog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2016, 03:07:01 PM »

I was actually wondering if the Leafs would expose Bozak June 2017 and run Kadri and Matthews 17/18.

If not then I would expect the list to be as you put it.
All The Best
Dan

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2016, 03:26:55 PM »

Which GP requirement? The only GP requirement I know of is that a couple of exposed players have to exceed a GP total but not all of them do.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline pnjunction

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2016, 03:45:53 PM »

Which GP requirement? The only GP requirement I know of is that a couple of exposed players have to exceed a GP total but not all of them do.

2 FW and 1 D have to meet the requirement (which is 40 GP in last season or 70 GP in last 2 seasons, so basically pray Lupul plays at least 24 games this season...)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 03:47:56 PM by pnjunction »

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2016, 03:47:18 PM »
2 FW and 1 D have to meet the requirement

Ah, with the assumption that those three are the guys who meet it. Understood.
-Mark Twain

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2016, 03:59:05 PM »
2 FW and 1 D have to meet the requirement

Ah, with the assumption that those three are the guys who meet it. Understood.

Is that because it's assumed that the others on Carlton's list won't meet it?

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
  • One with the Shanaplan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2016, 11:29:59 AM »
One crazy move I'd probably pull the trigger on is Nylander for Trouba.

Jets get a potential future 1/2C to develop with Laine.  We shore up our top 4 D.

Rielly-Trouba
Gardiner-Zaitsev

We have Matthews and Kadri as our 1 & 2C.  They have Scheifle and Nylander.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2016, 10:51:28 AM »
I think I would pull the trigger on that deal as well
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2016, 12:15:30 PM »
No chance, Marner, Nylander and Matthews are the holy trinity that are going to lead us back to the promised land.

Andreas Johnson, Travis Dermott and a good pick should get it done.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2016, 05:18:05 PM »
I don't think that Trouba has a high enough upside that you'd want to trade Nylander for him.

I doubt any sort of package where Dermott is the most valuable asset gets it done. This is where the Leafs not holding onto their late first round picks/reaching with their high seconds the last two years hurts them. They don't really have any of those A-/B+ sort of prospects outside of maybe Kapanen. If they had a Konecny or Gabriel Carlsson or someone like that it may be the basis of an offer
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2016, 05:18:05 PM »