Author Topic: 2016-2017 Raptors Thread: We Know No King  (Read 3639 times)

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: 2016-2017 Raptors Thread: We Know No King
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 11:34:10 PM »
No DeMar, no easy win.  Actually, make that just their second win in the past eight games, the Raptors worst slump of the season.

Without DeRozan their leading scorer, the Raptors had a lethargic first half before rebounding in the second half of the game led by Lowry's 33pts, as the Raptors defeat the New Orleans Pelicans at the ACC 107-105 in OT.

DeMar DeRozan has been out of the lineup since an ankle injury (swelling) dating back to January 22nd, In a game against the Phoenix Suns.

The team has been without Demar for the past four games since then.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/raptors-rebound-poor-first-half-edge-pelicans-ot/
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 11:36:24 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 11:20:51 AM »

Pretty big trade if true. Raps get Serge Ibaka from Magic for Terrence Ross and a 1st.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 11:34:24 AM »

Pretty big trade if true. Raps get Serge Ibaka from Magic for Terrence Ross and a 1st.

When has the internet ever lied?
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 11:39:31 AM »
When has the internet ever lied?

We are all powerless before Woj.
-Mark Twain

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 03:34:03 PM »
Raps get PJ Tucker from the Suns in exchange for Sullinger and 2 2nd round picks.

Online Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 03:49:32 PM »
Raps get PJ Tucker from the Suns in exchange for Sullinger and 2 2nd round picks.

Is this guy real good...does he play a heavy game, real good player?

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 04:55:18 PM »

Is this guy real good...does he play a heavy game, real good player?

Good defensive player.  Gives them another small forward/PF (in a small lineup) option.

Giving up nothing off the main roster and only losing 2nd round picks is solid.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2017, 06:38:58 AM »
No Kyle Lowry, no big problem, as the newly-acquired Raptors -- Serge Ibaka & PJ Tucker -- along with DeMar DeRozan & co., disposed of the Boston Celtics at the ACC last night 107-98.

DeRozan had another career high 43 points, while Ibaka and Tucker playing in their first game in a Raptors uniform, provided much needed physicality plus plenty of rebounding.  Patrick Patterson & Corey Joseph each also contributed 15 pts. 

A different Raptors team indeed out there on the court.  A more aggressive, better defensive, yet strikingly offensive with DeMar as the the backdrop. 

As for the question of Kyle Lowry's wrist injury, he will be given some more time to recover before being re-evaluated. Lowry's wrist injury is really a nagging one that obviously had not fully healed.

More:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/derozan-ibaka-lead-charge-raptors-victory-celtics/

Lowry's injury:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/kyle-lowry-raptors-wrist-injury/
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 06:44:27 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2017, 05:10:10 PM »
Kyle Lowry's wrist injury is worse than first thought.  Lowry will require surgery which means he'll be out of the Raptors lineup for the remainder of the season.

Lowry hopes that the wrist will heal so that he can partake in a few games before season's end, howeve, that remains to be seen at this point.  It's hoped that the Raptors can have him back in fine form during the post-season.  We'll see.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/2017/02/27/kyle-lowry-out-for-at-least-rest-of-regular-season.html

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2017, 03:18:50 PM »
Not specifically Raptors related:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/presents18969358/tinderization-today-nba

Something strange happens when NBA teams play on the road these days, a trend line that baffles statheads. In the 1987-88 season, home teams won an astounding 67.9 percent of games, boasting an average win margin of 5.8 points, the highest on record. The advantage was so profound that home teams, on average, played at the level of a 55-win team.

Then, in less than a decade, the home-court advantage gap was sliced in half. By 1996-97, home teams won only 57.5 percent of the time, by an average margin of only 2.6 points. And now, after hovering around 60 percent for most of the 2000s, home-court advantage is dropping again. This season, it sits at an all-time low of 57.4 percent.

[...]

I spoke with dozens of players, coaches, team trainers and front-office execs, and most think the same thing is happening: NBA players are sleeping more and drinking less.

One general manager calls it the "Tinderization of the NBA."

"Tin-der-i-za-tion," he repeats, "like the dating app. No need to go to the clubs all night anymore."

Indeed, various apps have done for sex in the NBA what Amazon has done for books. One no longer needs to leave home to find a party. The party now comes to you. And lifestyle judgments aside, the NBA road life is simply more efficient -- and less taxing -- when there aren't open hours spent trolling clubs.

"It's absolutely true that you get at least two hours more sleep getting laid on the road today versus 15 years ago," says one former All-Star, who adds that players actually prefer Instagram to Tinder when away from home. "No schmoozing. No going out to the club. No having to get something to eat after the club but before the hotel."

If true, this explains a good deal of why the Leafs Management team went out of their way to do things a certain way for its very, very young club.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2017, 03:37:23 PM »
If true, this explains a good deal of why the Leafs Management team went out of their way to do things a certain way for its very, very young club.

I'm not sure I follow.

Anyways, this was also recently put out there and is worth a read, NBA players and their love of PB&Js:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/presents18931717/the-nba-secret-addiction

Personally I'm a crunchy/raspberry/whole wheat guy myself.
-Mark Twain

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2017, 09:16:29 AM »
Call them the comeback kids, as the Raptors lead the league in come-from-behind game wins (19),  as they did last night defeating the Dallas Mavericks 94-86. 

In so doing, the Raptors clinched a playoff spot for the fourth consecutive year in a row.  They currently sit 4th in the Eastern Conference overall standings, 3.5 GBL (the Cleveland Cavs).

Current playoff picture:

Team               GB
1   Cleveland             -
2   Boston              0.5
3   Washington       2.5
4   Toronto             3.5

Source:  CBC Sports
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:21:07 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2017, 07:19:35 AM »
Raptors defeat the Orlando Magic 131-112 at home at the ACC for their sixth consecutive win.  They also paid tribute to ex-Raptor (now a Magic) Torrence Ross with a video.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/demar-derozan-leads-raptors-past-magic-toronto-wins-sixth-straight/

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2017, 07:33:56 AM »
Ex-Toronto Raptor Terrence Ross, who was traded earlier this month to the Orlando Magic, and for whom a video tribute was given at last night's game in Toronto between the Raptors & the Magic, had this to say about his stay in Toronto during his playing days here:

Ross, an American born in Portland, Ore., writes he felt like a proud honourary Canadian here.

“The culture, the lifestyle, the people of Toronto … I’ve really grown to love all of it,” he writes. “It’s such a melting pot, and — maybe because of that — people there tend to have this beautiful … I don’t know … sense of self. People in Toronto know who they are, and they know where they’re from. It’s hard to explain, but I’ve really come to admire that.”

He writes his short and long-term plans include Canada.

“Anyway, for now, I guess I’ll just drop an “eh?” or two in Orlando, and see what kind of reaction I get. But long-term … I gotta say: I could definitely see myself coming back to Toronto, at some point, to live there. To me, Canada — it’s become like a home away from home."

https://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/2017/03/02/ex-raptor-terrence-ross-writes-toronto-a-love-letter.html

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2017, 01:40:28 AM »
Bucks 97  Raptors 83     Milwaukee leads series 1 game to 0.

Go figure.  The Toronto Raptors, with the NBA's fourth best defence, and a team that finished the season with a 56-26 record and 1 GB Cleveland in the Eastern Conference,  lost their fifth straight playoff home-opening game at the ACC Saturday.  Even the Raptors themselves couldn't put heads or tails on this dubious historical  franchise feat.  Actually it is nine straight Game 1 losses.

Much to the consternation of the ACC faithful, the Raptors came out flat against Milwaukee.  They weren't their usual selves, not DeRozan nor Lowry, both of whom faced blocked shots and couldn't get their game going. 

The Milwaukee kids against the Raptors veterans.  Sounds like a nice ring to it. The only problem is up to the Raptors to solve 'em.  Back to basics for Game 2.

Game story:
https://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/2017/04/15/raptors-fall-to-bucks-in-home-opener-of-playoff-series.html
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 01:44:08 AM by hockeyfan1 »

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2017, 01:40:28 AM »