Author Topic: 2016 Rio Olympic Summer Games August 5th to 21st  (Read 5549 times)

Online hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Rio Olympic Summer Games August 5th to 21st
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2016, 04:37:00 PM »
Nothing will change until someone begins to initiate it, and it has to start at the top (of the power ladder) on down.  Other than that, keep enjoying. ( *sic*)

Expecting change to just sprout up from "someone" with absolutely no incentive to do so is the height of either laziness or naivete. Change like this isn't going to magically happen without financial incentive. The public is the only group capable of providing that financial incentive. Sitting around and hoping for the IOC to do so out of some sort of sense of moral responsibility they've clearly shown they don't have over decades is exactly the sort of selfish buck-passing that ensures that the IOC won't change.

Nothing comes from nothing.  Something always comes from something.  Until the public starts showing a disincentive or disinterest in the games where it would have a financial impact, only then can change truly happen.  That is understood.

But even for that to have an impact, change needs to be initiated from within the ranks of the IOC, or perhaps from an outside perspective, in order to facilitate that change into something concrete.

I wouldn't naively expect the public to turn itself completely off of the Games nor any other large-scale event such as the FIFA World Cup,  etc., and as long as these events continue in popularity, where then will this change emerge from?

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2016, 05:00:41 PM »
I wouldn't naively expect the public to turn itself completely off of the Games nor any other large-scale event such as the FIFA World Cup,  etc., and as long as these events continue in popularity, where then will this change emerge from?

That's what I'm saying. Absent a turn towards public disinterest, the change won't come. That makes it incumbent on people who watch to stop watching if they really want to see change. I don't expect that to happen but that's because of cynicism. People talk a big game about wanting change but tend not to walk the walk.

Which is why it's important to not get caught up in the shiny things and to point out when people are. The Rio games were an obscenity. They do not reflect well upon sport regardless of the accomplishments of individual athletes. Hopefully they mark the low point for the intersection of conscience and entertainment.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 05:03:56 PM by Nik the Trik »
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline McGarnagle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2016, 09:44:01 PM »

http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/17359734/2016-rio-olympics-most-athletes-inspired-rio-olympic-brass-not-much

" In a coldly masterful feat of compartmentalization, Bach told reporters Saturday: "We are not responsible for dangers to which Ms. Stepanova may be exposed."

To me, that pretty much sums up the level of interest in actual integrity over profiteering.

Online hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2016, 11:37:22 PM »
A good summation of all things bad that was the Rio Olympics...

[youtube]We--Q0lPrEY[/youtube]

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2016, 11:37:22 PM »