Author Topic: 2016 Rio Olympic Summer Games August 5th to 21st  (Read 5545 times)

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Rio Olympic Summer Games August 5th to 21st
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 04:58:54 PM »

Time for my biennial Olympic curmudgeonliness:

1. Sports with weight classes are stupid

2. The idea that minor variations to a sport invent an entirely new sport worthy of a separate medal is stupid

3. I'm fairly suspicious of people who get really good at obscure sports.

Agreed with 2 and 3, definitely not 1 (in most cases)

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 07:54:13 PM »
I would replace 3 with synchronized sports, especially diving. They seem so pointless. It astounds me that these are sports, but they're getting rid of wrestling, one of the only sports that's been in every Olympic games.

Online hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 04:30:30 AM »
Canada's Women's Rugby 7s team wins Bronze, a "freakin' historic moment" in the words of team Captain Jen Kish, in a convincing 33-10 win over Great Britain.

Way to go, ladies!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/canadas-bronze-rugby-sevens-freakin-historic-moment/

Online hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2016, 04:35:02 AM »
Canada's Kylie Masse finished third in winning the Bronze in the Women's 100m Breaststroke Final.

Gold went to Hungary's Katinka Hosszu while the silver was captured by Kathleen Baker of the US.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/canadian-kylie-masse-wins-bronze-womens-100m-backstroke/

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2016, 09:13:39 AM »

Time for my biennial Olympic curmudgeonliness:

1. Sports with weight classes are stupid

2. The idea that minor variations to a sport invent an entirely new sport worthy of a separate medal is stupid

3. I'm fairly suspicious of people who get really good at obscure sports.

Agreed with 2 and 3, definitely not 1 (in most cases)

To be clear I'm not saying the sports themselves are stupid(Judo seems like a reasonable enough thing to do), just the dividing them up into weight classes is.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2016, 06:44:00 PM »
The establishment here probably doesn't care but I'm certainly rooting for Penny Oleksiak as she swims for a shot at a 4th medal tonight.  If she finishes in the top 3 in the it would be the most medals by any Canadian athlete in a single Olympics.  It would also have her in a tie for 8th best career medal mark.  She conceivably could compete in another 3 Olympics after this and really shouldn't be hitting her prime for another 4-5 years.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2016, 10:34:14 PM »
Oleksiak tied for gold to win her 4th medal with an Olympic record swim.

Offline Gerald The Duck

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2016, 10:35:52 PM »
I care LK, that was amazing. What a performance, I thought she was too far back at the turn to even make the podium. My bad.

What an athlete...at only 16!

Online hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2016, 11:14:52 PM »
Quite the achievement...

Mark Tewksbury    @marktewks

A 24 year gold draught for Canada is over. So proud to pass the baton to @OleksiakPenny. Incredible. 7th at 50m and ties for the win. Wow

...What a way to go, Penny!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/penny-oleksiak-wins-gold-canada-100m-freestyle-semifinals/

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2016, 08:17:50 AM »
Prior to the games, I was pretty keen to see Yusdra Mardini do well because of her amazing story and resilience, but dang, Penny just hit national hero level by completing her medal collection at the age of 16.

I remember what I was doing at 16 and now I regret my life choices.

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2016, 08:25:21 AM »
I thank Elliotte Friedman for allowing me to live, however briefly, in a world in which Michael Phelps didn't win a race.

Poor guy.  But he's completely owned up to his gaffe, and the support for him has thankfully been huge.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2016, 08:51:53 AM »
Prior to the games, I was pretty keen to see Yusdra Mardini do well because of her amazing story and resilience, but dang, Penny just hit national hero level by completing her medal collection at the age of 16.

I remember what I was doing at 16 and now I regret my life choices.

She's just has the perfect genetic makeup for this kind of thing (besides aptitude and hard work). I mean I always wanted to be a Baseball player but I just don't have the build for it - she's a 6'1", thin swimmer at 16 who comes from hardcore athletic parents. Her brother plays on Dallas. It's almost like she was born to swim.

Also a crazy fact, she's from the neighbourhood I live in - I wonder if she ever swam at the Donald D. Somerville pool. Cool to have an Olympian in the community!
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2016, 10:05:02 AM »
I thank Elliotte Friedman for allowing me to live, however briefly, in a world in which Michael Phelps didn't win a race.

Poor guy.  But he's completely owned up to his gaffe, and the support for him has thankfully been huge.

He was in a tough spot too that I don't think many (especially those who have gotten wind of this int he US) really understand. Having to fill in for such a high-profile event that he isn't really familiar with on relatively short notice.

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2016, 10:11:34 AM »

He was in a tough spot too that I don't think many (especially those who have gotten wind of this int he US) really understand. Having to fill in for such a high-profile event that he isn't really familiar with on relatively short notice.

Yeah, he is one of the few that I would/do genuinely feel bad far, such a class act.

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2016, 10:12:33 AM »
For those that missed it.

https://streamable.com/0s9a

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2016, 10:12:33 AM »