Author Topic: The Defensive Logjam  (Read 20796 times)

Offline Kaberle15

• Veteran
  • They Did it!
    • View Profile
Re: The Defensive Logjam
« Reply #270 on: February 02, 2018, 12:01:50 PM »
That is a real nice problem to have approaching the deadline...

But it is nice to know that in a deep playoff run, we have, you know, depth on D.

But with Rielly almost ready, Hansey not even on ER (day to day), and Polak ER status should be gone my monday (7 days minimum), they should try to do something

- JVR
- Komarov
- Polak
- Leivo
- Martin

Combine two and try to add depth at C/D

As an emergency call up, we know that Holl will be down as soon as they have a D ready to get in. Soch is a non factor for the next 2 weeks.

The real questions are:

Is Kapanen a real replacement for JVR's Spot ? (i think so, JVR has tons of talents, however he seens to be invisible most of the nights and could attract the most value for the Leafs)

Is Soch a real replacement for Komarov/Martin ?

Will the Leafs miss Polak roughness in the post season ? or the 10+ corse points will make up this roughness gap ?

will the bench miss Leivo ?

Can we get value for Martin ? Will the Leafs miss him in the post season ?

Can't wait for the Deadline...
A.K.A Gardiner51, Changed back to Kaberle15 now that he is retired.

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 02, 2018, 12:21:59 PM »
If they are going to be trading defensemen, I'd love to see them try to trade Zaitsev for an upgrade on right D.  Vastly easier said than done.

And yeah, the long term upside of trading JVR for picks and prospects vs the short term cost is too high for me to ignore right now.

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 02, 2018, 12:33:02 PM »
If they are going to be trading defensemen, I'd love to see them try to trade Zaitsev for an upgrade on right D.  Vastly easier said than done.

And yeah, the long term upside of trading JVR for picks and prospects vs the short term cost is too high for me to ignore right now.

I'm not sure you can move that contract and as their top right-handed dman it isn't the right time to move on from him yet.

He is still very young in his NHL and NA career, he skates well enough that I think he can be more effective as he learns to play a more aggressive gap.

If Liljegren establishes himself in a year or two I'd probably look at trade options for Zaitsev at that point.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 02, 2018, 12:37:31 PM »
I'm not sure you can move that contract and as their top right-handed dman it isn't the right time to move on from him yet.

He is still very young in his NHL and NA career, he skates well enough that I think he can be more effective as he learns to play a more aggressive gap.

If Liljegren establishes himself in a year or two I'd probably look at trade options for Zaitsev at that point.

Agreed. I don't think there's much by way upgrade in terms of cost vs reward.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 02, 2018, 12:40:14 PM »
Everybody's giddy from a short winning streak but I'd focus on actually winning a playoff series first before starting to plan a deep run.

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 02, 2018, 12:45:55 PM »

While Matthews and Andersen have accelerated the rebuild, and Marleau was a clear "let's see what we can do now" move, it's still the case that they're not winning a Cup this year -- some say having to go through Boston and Tampa means they've got the hardest road of any team in the league.

So... if they're not re-signing JvR, I'm not sure what the short term cost is. Stay the course, I say, and try to move some expiring UFAs to a team that thinks they've got a real shot -- NSH, STL,  maybe ANA or MIN -- for a top prospect that might turn into a JvR replacement.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 12:57:32 PM by mr grieves »

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 02, 2018, 12:47:52 PM »

Zaitsev doesn't fill the same niche as Liljegren, so I'm not sure we move Zaitsev even then, barring a Karlsson/Doughty playing for the Leafs scenario. With Hainsey gone, you either fill the gap from the top or from the middle.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 06, 2018, 01:58:58 PM »

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 06, 2018, 02:13:49 PM »

I don't mind "Borgy" being in the AHL and Dermott here, but I do mind Polak playing over Carrick.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 06, 2018, 02:37:45 PM »
I don't mind "Borgy" being in the AHL and Dermott here, but I do mind Polak playing over Carrick.

I mind Polak playing at all on this team, but assuming we need someone of Polak's playstyle, there isn't really another option in the organization.

In this configuration, our right side is guaranteed to flip out turnovers, while our left side is guaranteed to try to break the puck out with a stretch pass, or skate it out. Is that by design?

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 06, 2018, 03:25:04 PM »

I mind Polak playing at all on this team, but assuming we need someone of Polak's playstyle, there isn't really another option in the organization.

I don't subscribe to this assumption.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 06, 2018, 09:04:28 PM »

My ? for Babs: Why "Borgy" and not "Dermy" and "Pohley" and, uh, "Carrie"?

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 06, 2018, 11:25:08 PM »
Austiny, Mitchy, Leovy, Andersony, Moorey, Kapany, Meaurly, Rielly, Zaitezy, Hainsey, Kadriy, etc etc. 
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #282 on: February 06, 2018, 11:25:08 PM »