Author Topic: The Defensive Logjam  (Read 18958 times)

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Defensive Logjam
« Reply #255 on: September 21, 2017, 02:39:10 PM »
www.twitter.com/jonassiegel/status/910906178749784065

Womp womp

You could say the same thing about Brown, he's yet to be on a line that we expect will make up one of the team top-4 forward lines (has been with Sosh/Leivo-Aaltonen). So I wouldn't reach much into that yet. Also he was originally paired with Borgman, and only switched to LoVerde once Zaitsev had to miss practice because of his kid we're assuming.

I'm still reasonable comfortable saying that he's a lock for at least a roster spot, and he has the inside track for the 3LD spot because of his penalty killing abilities. Especially now that it looks like Polak isn't a consideration.

If anything I think that Carrick is more at risk of losing a spot in the top-6 to one of the Swedes than Marincin is, handedness be damned.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 02:46:25 PM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 21, 2017, 08:22:54 PM »
I’m inclined to agree, re: Marincin. The ride down to Ricoh is free for the others, so they’d have to really blow the doors off to warrant a spot over the cheapo waiver-eligible options.

Offline gunnar36

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 21, 2017, 09:30:23 PM »
Valiev doesn't get seem to get any mention for those spots, but I really liked what I saw from him against the Sens. He has good size and reach, smooth skater with mobility, seems very poised with the puck and seems to make smart plays.  I hope he is given a fair chance as well since I see a lot more upside in his game over what Marincin has shown me for a couple seasons.

Online hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 22, 2017, 04:00:09 AM »
(via theathletic.com)

On Marincin:

Babcock not too favourable:

“He’s never really grabbed hold of it yet,” the coach said. “And so what happens in the league if you don’t eventually grab hold of it, you’re not in the league anymore.”

Obviously Babcock has so far been impressed with Travis Dermott, as quoted in an earlier pre-season tread.  Why?

Dermott was one of only two players Babcock singled out as having played well after the first game. (He finished at 67 per cent possession, albeit with favourable zone starts.)

He's got a real nice strength and determination about him, a blend of speed, skill and power.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 04:03:40 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 28, 2017, 02:21:20 PM »
https://theathletic.com/110224/2017/09/28/wheeler-breaking-down-the-battle-for-the-maple-leafs-third-defence-pairing/

Wheeler breaks down the 4 players vying to round out our defense to open the season.

I too have noticed Carrick's return to form of dynamic offensive defense, compared to last season's play-it-safeism. He's starting to drive down to the circles to take his shots again with some heads up puck handling.

I think Marincin is still the perfect 7D option. You won't be miffed to sit him, and you will also like the presence he has on the PK. His shot is also very underrated (because he's not in position to use it as much as back in junior).

Rosén is my pick for the 6th to play with Carrick. Though he is not the most skilled with the puck, he has the speed and elusiveness to carry it to safety, no panic to his play, and (when it's on target) a heck of a shot.

Borgman and Dermott, I really like and will look forward to seeing them wreck the AHL with Liljegren. They're both tanks, but one goes through obstacles, while the other can dance around trouble. Like Carrick, these two are also crazy strong. Dermott in particular also has unusually high stamina. MLHS posted this Dermott shift from last night that showcases his strength, vision, and puck movement that will only get better with top minutes.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 02:31:27 PM by herman »

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 28, 2017, 02:23:48 PM »
I thought it was a great piece of writing from Scott, but it really bothered me that he didn't say who he would choose at number 6.

It felt like a weird cop-out.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 28, 2017, 03:53:47 PM »
I thought it was a great piece of writing from Scott, but it really bothered me that he didn't say who he would choose at number 6.

It felt like a weird cop-out.

Completely agree.  I was expecting him to choose one guy as the leader in his opinion.  He did say Dermott was probably leading until last night's game but didn't choose someone who took the lead (or if Dermott is still ahead)

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #261 on: September 28, 2017, 03:53:47 PM »