Author Topic: Leafs All-Time Top 100 Speculation Thread  (Read 2200 times)

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs All-Time Top 100 Speculation Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2016, 08:45:24 AM »
I'm not big into lists but a top 100 of anything seems ridiculous to me.

It's fine when you have tens of thousands of options, but, in this case, there are only ~360 skaters who have played at least 80 games with the Leafs, and only 84 goalies who have ever played for them.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2016, 09:20:34 AM »
I'm not big into lists but a top 100 of anything seems ridiculous to me.

It's fine when you have tens of thousands of options, but, in this case, there are only ~360 skaters who have played at least 80 games with the Leafs, and only 84 goalies who have ever played for them.

Yeah I'm actually pretty surprised how quickly the list starts to teeter off.

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
  • One with the Shanaplan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2016, 09:36:40 AM »
Personally, I have to admit that I'm a fan of a top 100 misplays of the month.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2016, 09:40:13 AM »
Yeah I'm actually pretty surprised how quickly the list starts to teeter off.

We don't normally think of how many players spent significant time with a team, but, we're basically talking about a list that represents 1/4 players that spent more than one full season with the Leafs. There's definitely going to be some "interesting" choices.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2016, 09:53:00 AM »
We don't normally think of how many players spent significant time with a team, but, we're basically talking about a list that represents 1/4 players that spent more than one full season with the Leafs. There's definitely going to be some "interesting" choices.

We probably see a lot more players from the earlier days that we wouldn't have thought of chosen.

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2016, 10:03:29 AM »

We probably see a lot more players from the earlier days that we wouldn't have thought of chosen.

Because so much this is revolving around the '100' theme. I do think a qualifying factor for the list will be Leafs that have played 100 + games for them at a minimum.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2016, 11:07:54 AM »
Assuming this list will include the entire 100 years of the franchise, including the years as the Arenas and St. Pats... there are some names that haven't been mentioned that should be included:

John Roach (G)
Reg Noble (F)
Jack Adams (F)
Harry Cameron (D)
Corbett Denneny (F)
Billy Stuart (D)
Ken Randall (F)

They all played at least 4 seasons, all have at least 1 cup win (1922) and some have a second with the Arenas (1918).  This was back in the days of 24-36 game seasons too, so their counting stats don't initially jump out at you but many were point per game players.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2016, 11:09:52 AM »

I think this is where we run into pointlessness though. I appreciate a celebration of history as much as the next guy but how much will/should people care about honoring guys who played two or three seasons with the club or who played so long ago that their names have effectively been forgotten.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2016, 11:12:31 AM »
Because so much this is revolving around the '100' theme. I do think a qualifying factor for the list will be Leafs that have played 100 + games for them at a minimum.

Even without the 100 theme, 100+ games is the bare minimum standard if you're looking at them in terms of their place in a specific team's history. Anything less than that, and they'd have to have made a significant impact in the team winning a championship, or had a season that was a relevant part of league history.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2016, 11:18:34 AM »

I think this is where we run into pointlessness though. I appreciate a celebration of history as much as the next guy but how much will/should people care about honoring guys who played two or three seasons with the club or who played so long ago that their names have effectively been forgotten.

Well I definitely want those long forgotten names remembered for their contributions ahead of a lot of the other names put out so far.  This is about celebrating the long history of the franchise... not just the names we all remember. 

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2016, 12:37:45 PM »

Even without the 100 theme, 100+ games is the bare minimum standard if you're looking at them in terms of their place in a specific team's history. Anything less than that, and they'd have to have made a significant impact in the team winning a championship, or had a season that was a relevant part of league history.

League history or team history?  I think it can be said that Lindros had pretty relevant league history.  Leafs history?  Not so much unless you include scoring on them.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2016, 12:54:17 PM »
League history or team history?  I think it can be said that Lindros had pretty relevant league history.  Leafs history?  Not so much unless you include scoring on them.

Team history for the 100+ game threshold, or a season that was special in terms of the league's history in their only season on that team (which, I don't know if any Leafs qualify, but, it's not impossible). If, for instance, a player spent one year with the team, but won the Art Ross, Hart, etc., and the team won the Cup (or at least made the Final), I'd be open to considering them even though they played less than 100 regular season games with the team.

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2016, 01:05:04 PM »

Team history for the 100+ game threshold, or a season that was special in terms of the league's history in their only season on that team (which, I don't know if any Leafs qualify, but, it's not impossible). If, for instance, a player spent one year with the team, but won the Art Ross, Hart, etc., and the team won the Cup (or at least made the Final), I'd be open to considering them even though they played less than 100 regular season games with the team.

Got it.  Do we even have any of those?  Hard to believe an award winning Leafs player in his first season on a winning team, wouldn't remain a Leaf the following season. 

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2016, 01:05:04 PM »