Author Topic: Ranking Prospects Post-Matthews  (Read 41723 times)

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking Prospects Post-Matthews
« Reply #150 on: September 02, 2016, 09:05:33 AM »
PPP: 6. Nikita Zaitsev
TLN: 1. Auston Matthews

I have a hard time assessing Zaitsev since I've only seen his highlights, which are basically just him scoring from everywhere, or threading a pass for a tap in. What are his retrieval instincts like? How is his gap control through the neutral zone? Skating is good to great. Offensive instincts are quite polished already.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 10:02:20 AM by herman »

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 02, 2016, 09:11:35 AM »

From the PPP article:

Suffice it to say, I see no reason to be worried about Zaitsev's probable output in the NHL offensively.  At the lower end he projects as a top 90 D man in the NHL (top 3) offensively. If he hits his projected totals from the past two years he would be providing top pair offense, and if he continues to develop as an NHLer he's going to be an All-Star.

I mean I'm hopeful Zaitsev turns into a legit NHLer and from all the scouting reports and stuff he sounds like a really promising player, but it seems like we're going into this season with awfully high expectations for him and his career.
Frank was right

#ButMartyIsANHLer

Offline sneakyray

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 02, 2016, 09:36:05 AM »

From the PPP article:

Suffice it to say, I see no reason to be worried about Zaitsev's probable output in the NHL offensively.  At the lower end he projects as a top 90 D man in the NHL (top 3) offensively. If he hits his projected totals from the past two years he would be providing top pair offense, and if he continues to develop as an NHLer he's going to be an All-Star.

I mean I'm hopeful Zaitsev turns into a legit NHLer and from all the scouting reports and stuff he sounds like a really promising player, but it seems like we're going into this season with awfully high expectations for him and his career.

I remember stephen burtch on twitter talking about his nhl/khl comparables and that he should pretty comfortably be a top nhl point producing d-man due to his shot totals...its all analytics  ;)

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 02, 2016, 09:41:06 AM »

What are you talking about?  High expectations for Leaf prospects by Leaf fans?

That's ridiculous. 

Zaitsev will probably end up being a cross between Ray Bourque and Vladimir Konstantinov...but he ain't no Nik Lidstrom.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 02, 2016, 10:29:41 AM »
TLN list complete.

PPP list down to the final 5, which, based on their ranking tendancy to favour pro experience with about half their voters, I'm guessing might be:
5. Connor Brown
4. Mitch Marner
3. William Nylander
2. Morgan Rielly
1. Auston Matthews

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 03, 2016, 04:46:42 PM »

What are you talking about?  High expectations for Leaf prospects by Leaf fans?

That's ridiculous. 

Zaitsev will probably end up being a cross between Ray Bourque and Vladimir Konstantinov...but he ain't no Nik Lidstrom.
Wonder what the plan is for Connor Brown. He ripped it up in Junior, looked pretty decent in a few games with the Leafs. Nobody really seems to talk about him that much.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 03, 2016, 05:02:12 PM »
Wonder what the plan is for Connor Brown. He ripped it up in Junior, looked pretty decent in a few games with the Leafs. Nobody really seems to talk about him that much.

I get the sense that most people see him as a boom or bust type. Someone who might turn into an effective NHL scorer but could be a tweener.

If I had to guess I think he'll spend a good amount of time in the team's bottom 6.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 05, 2016, 09:03:32 AM »
PPP: 5. Connor Brown

His waiver exempt status will be what likely starts him in the AHL, as one of the Big 3 on the Marlies (Kapanen, Johnson). I expect two of these three to be over-ripened bananas by the deadline and will get the call.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 09:14:19 AM by herman »

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 05, 2016, 10:44:27 AM »

Brown not being on the team to start the year would really be one of those things where you can't help but feel the team has maybe over-thought themselves into the roster as currently constructed. Right now there are too many guys on the team who don't figure to be in the team's long term plans and way too many guys projected to start on the Marlies that should probably be with the big club.
-Mark Twain

Online Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 05, 2016, 11:37:17 AM »
True dat Nik, Brown and several of the others should be on the big team and have mentorship from JVR, Komarov and Laitch.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 05, 2016, 11:50:31 AM »
True dat Nik, Brown and several of the others should be on the big team and have mentorship from JVR, Komarov and Laitch.

First of all, true dat? Come on.

Second, Komarov is pretty high on my list of guys who probably shouldn't be on the roster. Laich is also albeit I think the team did well in that deal and don't mind it as much.
-Mark Twain

Offline caveman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 05, 2016, 12:26:37 PM »
Some of these guys need a chance to perform at the NHL level now...can this management team make the moves to do it ? Short of giving away players with some value to create room ? Training camp should be interesting...

Online Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 05, 2016, 04:26:23 PM »
I do that in honour of my son Nikos.  Come on Komarov is a favorite of Babcock and shows the way by grit and effort. And he can put the puck in the net
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 05, 2016, 09:43:08 PM »

There are "reasons" for lots of guys to be on the roster. But somehow we've wound up in a spot where there are 9 or 10 roster spots just among forwards for guys who've been around a while and aren't likely to be around long term. You shouldn't keep Komarov and Laich and Martin around for effectively the same purpose while we're talking about sending 22 or 23 year old prospects back to the AHL.
-Mark Twain

Online Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 06, 2016, 09:11:06 AM »
Agreed thats why I would love to see them move out Bozak and Lupul and perhaps trade JVR for a great pick.
                                           Navaho Proverb

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #164 on: September 06, 2016, 09:11:06 AM »