Author Topic: Ranking Prospects Post-Matthews  (Read 33262 times)

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking Prospects Post-Matthews
« Reply #315 on: February 18, 2017, 11:52:42 AM »
www.twitter.com/FutureOfThe6/status/832956235943116800

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 18, 2017, 09:22:53 PM »
Chriky, we need this dude on our squad just for shootouts. LOL
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 21, 2017, 02:35:15 PM »
LOL Craig Button.

Top 5 Leafs Prospects not in the NHL according to Button (in order):

Nielsen
Kapanen
Brooks
Grundstrom
Bracco

Link:  http://www.tsn.ca/who-are-the-best-players-not-skating-in-the-nhl-1.677389
It should be noted that Button tends to ignore most guys over 21, leaving the likes of Liepsic and Rychel out.

My take:  I don't see how anyone could put Nielsen ahead of Kapanen.  And, while its my own opinion, I'd have Dermott ahead of Nielsen too.   

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 21, 2017, 02:37:32 PM »
LOL Craig Button.

Nielsen
Kapanen
Brooks
Grundstrom
Bracco

Link:  http://www.tsn.ca/who-are-the-best-players-not-skating-in-the-nhl-1.677389
It should be noted that Button tends to ignore most guys over 21, leaving the likes of Liepsic and Rychel out.

My take:  I don't see how anyone could put Nielsen ahead of Kapanen.  And, while its my own opinion, I'd have Dermott ahead of Nielsen too.   

For what's it worth, Bob McKenzie said Nielson is an intriguing prospect who might have a future as an offensive d-man, but it's his play without the puck that's concerning.  He also mentioned that Dermott might be the better of the two as a prospect though.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 21, 2017, 02:58:53 PM »

At first I thought that this meant he had an age-cutoff in his criteria. But I noticed a couple of 22-23 year old guys on those lists. So not including Brendan Leipsic in the Leafs top-5 is pretty inexcusable.

Online Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 21, 2017, 03:10:45 PM »
LOL Craig Button.

Nielsen
Kapanen
Brooks
Grundstrom
Bracco

For what's it worth, Bob McKenzie said Nielson is an intriguing prospect who might have a future as an offensive d-man, but it's his play without the puck that's concerning.  He also mentioned that Dermott might be the better of the two as a prospect though.

Nielsen certainly developed much more of an offensive game than expected since the day he was drafted- specifically on the PP where he has 19 of his 30 points this year.  Dermott's play without the puck is much further ahead too, and his offense is still good for a 20 yr old rookie AHL d-man- he has 10 pts 5-on-5 while Nielsen has 11 (in 13 more games).

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 21, 2017, 03:58:37 PM »
Korshkov is back from his broken leg, in time for the KHL playoffs.
https://streamable.com/hccxh #96 with the drag and tuck.

Online Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 22, 2017, 09:33:50 AM »

At first I thought that this meant he had an age-cutoff in his criteria. But I noticed a couple of 22-23 year old guys on those lists. So not including Brendan Leipsic in the Leafs top-5 is pretty inexcusable.

Most of those 22/23 year olds are goalies and defensemen, which take longer to develop.  There are two forwards of that age on that list, and both of them only started their pro careers this year (after going the NCAA route).

I'm not sure about Leipsic.  He reminds me a bit of this guy (ie, a tweener):

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/toronto-maple-leafs-prospects/2017/2/21/14663294/why-isnt-seth-griffith-in-the-nhl-toronto-marlies-toronto-maple-leafs

Then again, the Leafs prospect depth is no longer stellar with the graduates this year so maybe tweeners should be on that list.  Only Kapanen is to me, better than a 75% bet to be an NHLer.  Dermott I'd put around 50% (my money is on him being our 3rd pair LD in two years, but not a sure thing).  Everyone else, below the 50% mark. 

Guys like Korshkov, Brooks, and Bracco could be middle-six players- Grundstrom, Dzerikals, bottom six/energy but they are all still long shots.  Nielsen reminds me of Cody Franson- but he has a long way to go in the defensive end to just be barely adequate like Cody was.

Of the Marlies, Rychel, Johnsson, and Timashov had pretty poor starts to their Marlies careers, and other than Timashov, they are already at an age where they should be dominating the AHL if they expect to be NHLers- although it being Johnsson's first year here I won't make that judgement entirely just yet.  Its good to see all three of them coming on now though.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 22, 2017, 10:25:37 AM »
Re: Rychel, Johnsson, and Timashov
They weren't really getting the minutes that befit their skill sets (or the centres), as Kapanen and Leipsic were on a tear. Their numbers being boosted coincides with the latter two's injuries and their new deployment.

On the Leafs' eventual 4-line team of skilled puck holders and movers, this is a good thing.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 08, 2017, 09:44:36 PM »
www.twitter.com/JSportsnet/status/839630061116526593

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 27, 2017, 02:01:25 PM »
Monday Maple Leafs prospect report: Nicolas Mattinen
https://theathletic.com/46922/2017/03/27/monday-maple-leafs-prospect-report-nicolas-mattinen/

A really good look at one of the head scratcher pucks from the most recent draft. Mattinen has some really good tools to work with (skating, size, shot), so it'll be interesting to watch him develop.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 12, 2017, 10:45:31 AM »
RHD Jesper Lindgren (2015 4th rd) has been signed to a Marlies ATO for their home stretch.

Who?
Here's a bit of context about the player

pre-draft scout reports:
a smooth skating offensive minded blueliner…more agile and fluid than a speedster…has impressive hockey sense and vision…makes some incredible high-end passes…not only hitting targets through skates and sticks but also finding open spots to head the puck…has a good hard shot that is has good placement…good defensively as well…while not a bruiser by any stretch physical play is solid, he never shies away from fighting along the boards…likes to use his body to separate the puck from the opponents in one on one situations…reads passes well and can step up to intercept before quickly transitioning the play…offensive puck moving is where he stands out most. [future considerations, december 2014]

possible first round sleeper who has come out of nowhere with eye-popping skating, skills and swashbuckling offensive skills. an aggressive offensive player you will jump up in pinches and fake defenders to him and place the puck to an opponent or simply freeze the defender and blow on by. incredibly cool and confident, with legs and moves that sometimes don’t work, but cause defenders to think about what they might encounter on the next touch. he has elusive puck control that isn’t going to ever stay back if he has an inkling he can make a play. his feet let him get back when the puck is turned over in transition. a bold gunslinger who needs to get stronger, bigger and continue to progress. displays karlsson-like attributes and seems on a quick developmental track to the first round if there is a team looking willing to take the chance to watch him progress. [bill placzek, draftsite.com]

jesper lindgren had a great year despite his terrible team, putting up 24 points [3g + 21a] in 50 gp as a 19 year old rd. that's good enough to be...
1st in u20 defensemen scoring
4th in u20 scoring
7th in defensemen scoring
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:17:24 PM by herman »

Online Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 12, 2017, 11:19:55 AM »
Pierre Engvall was also added to the Marlies on a ATO:

https://theleafsnation.com/2017/04/12/toronto-marlies-sign-pierre-engvall-to-ato/

He's a winger, so I'm not sure if he'll see much ice-time considering the number of wingers on the Marlies roster.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 12, 2017, 11:48:31 AM »
I kind of forgot about Lindgren. His stats seem promising, although they're in the secondary league in Sweden (so weird that Modo got relegated) so it's tough to compare them to past players.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 12, 2017, 12:16:56 PM »
I wouldn't mind them taking extra time with Engvall and Lindgren because I think they'll be useful depth at minimum.

Lindgren looks more promising of the two due to position and bearing all the skill markers that I'm looking for in defensemen. He narrowly missed out on making the WJC team of stacked defenders.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #329 on: April 12, 2017, 12:16:56 PM »