Author Topic: Euro 2016  (Read 4547 times)

Offline anton girdeaux

• Prospect
    • View Profile
Re: Euro 2016
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2016, 10:01:28 AM »

I was rooting for Iceland to advance so was a little bummed out by the late equalizer yesterday. Still, if they can beat Austria they should still be through.

Yeah me too. I fisted pumped the air too when the Czechs made it 2-2 against Croatia.

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 12:42:26 AM »
After Northern Ireland's win over the Ukraine (the highlight of my sporting supporting life so far) I've now booked myself on a flight to Paris on Tuesday morning and got my hands on a ticket for the Northern Ireland v Germany game in Parc Des Princes. I cannot wait to get over. My dad has been over for the whole tournament so far and says the atmosphere among our fans has been stunning.

A draw will qualify us for the next round as well. Even if we lose I am spot proud of the performances that got us there and the win against Ukraine. We've less than 50 professional players to choose from and could make it to the last 16 of Europe.

I reckon you're ok anyway.  Hoping as many of the home nations make it through as possible, although not looking good for the Republic.

Results haven't gone the way we'd have wanted, so I think we need a draw tonight. Sitting in Dublin airport now at the start of my voyage. Cannot wait for the game and possibly even more the party in Paris before and after the game!
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline Jolly good show chaps

• Rookie
  • Pip pip
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 08:49:08 AM »
After Northern Ireland's win over the Ukraine (the highlight of my sporting supporting life so far) I've now booked myself on a flight to Paris on Tuesday morning and got my hands on a ticket for the Northern Ireland v Germany game in Parc Des Princes. I cannot wait to get over. My dad has been over for the whole tournament so far and says the atmosphere among our fans has been stunning.

A draw will qualify us for the next round as well. Even if we lose I am spot proud of the performances that got us there and the win against Ukraine. We've less than 50 professional players to choose from and could make it to the last 16 of Europe.

I reckon you're ok anyway.  Hoping as many of the home nations make it through as possible, although not looking good for the Republic.

Results haven't gone the way we'd have wanted, so I think we need a draw tonight. Sitting in Dublin airport now at the start of my voyage. Cannot wait for the game and possibly even more the party in Paris before and after the game!

Good luck for later.  I might catch the second half depending when I get home from work.  Hope Will Grigg's on fire!

Poor display all round from us last night - this is where not having an Andros Townsend in the squad to come on and help unlock a defence really hinders us.  Henderson was a total waste of space last night and Wilshere looked like a player that only played a couple of games all season.  No point having all that possession when Slovakia were happy to let us have it and put bodies behind the ball.  We only really had a couple of decent chances for all that.

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2016, 05:16:32 PM »
Congrats on qualification Arn, although today's game didn't go your way, you've still made the last 16 as one of the 4 best 3rd placed teams.

Offline Arn

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2016, 07:22:20 PM »
Germany were fantastic. Our goalie played the game of his life. Keeping it to 1-0 was massive then Turkey did us a favour. What a party in Paris. Our fans were unreal.

(Thanks WIGWAL!)

Online Guru Tugginmypuddah

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2016, 07:36:12 PM »
U boj u boj za narod svoj!

Croatia surprises Spain with a 2-1 victory!

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 02:23:34 PM »

So it'll be the battle of the Lands in the round of 16: Ice vs. Eng
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Arn

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 02:51:52 PM »
Just home. What day yesterday was. Planning to go back over for our next round game at the weekend so will be booking flights etc tonight. Unreal for a country with only 45 professional players to choose from to qualify for the tournament, never mind get through the group stages.

Offline harps64

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2016, 07:35:32 AM »
Brilliant display yesterday by ROI. We now get France on Sunday......maybe, just maybe a little revenge for that hand ball by Thierry Henry that cost us a place in the World Cup a few years ago! COYBIG.

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2016, 09:01:29 AM »
The Icelandic commentator losing his mind when Iceland scored and won: https://streamable.com/f6hj
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 01:32:42 PM »

Oof. Tough late one for Northern Ireland to give up.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2016, 01:41:21 PM »

I feel bad for Arn, but it's been tough to watch, a fitting punishment for making us sit through this, especially that first half.

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Rookie
    • View Profile
    • Ok Blue Jays
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2016, 03:54:03 PM »
Of course the Belgium game is scheduled right during my slopitch games.

Offline Arn

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2016, 12:06:38 PM »

I feel bad for Arn, but it's been tough to watch, a fitting punishment for making us sit through this, especially that first half.

It wasn't a great game, but I thought overall we were the better team, but they took their chance and we couldn't quite create any really clear cut ones (also though the 2nd half was a decent watch).

But still, for our first tournament appearance in 30 years (and first in my memory) I'm pretty pleased with most of it. We're having a small parade when the team get back to Belfast tomorrow which I think will be amazing.

Actually can't wait for the World Cup qualifiers to start in September now, with a trip to Prague as well.

Offline anton girdeaux

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2016, 03:14:07 PM »
Enjoy Prague, I love that place! As for the England's game tomorrow, they should win but they won't be beat France in the next round.

They haven't played at all so far, disappointed with Roy's men.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2016, 03:14:07 PM »